Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
I received another fairly lengthy survey from AMEX about the Aspire card today, and once again a few of the questions were obviously posed to gauge reaction to replacing the $250 resort credit with another benefit, most likely an additional free night.
Whoever came up with that probably read this thread and determined that what seemed like a simple idea at the time is confounding too many people.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Whoever came up with that probably read this thread and determined that what seemed like a simple idea at the time is confounding too many people.
They may also have gotten a lot of complaints about it via other channels. HH obviously didn't consider the pragmatic issue of central billing. I agree it's otherwise pretty straightforward.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So would the extra free night be another freebie? And you'd get a third then if you charged $60K in a year?

I'd like a $250 incidentals credit that did not necessarily have to be used at a resort on their list, just any Hilton property. Would encourage me to spend more at any given hotel.
An "extra" free night would mean an extra weekend free night most likely (since that's how the current cert is restricted). But did they mention that restriction (or any other restrictions) in the survey? Other hotel programs don't tend to limit the free night to a day of the week, but instead cap the free night to a certain number of points required for a points stay at that property on that date.

Another thing they could consider is a spread-out credit which would only reimburse if you used Hilton consistently: A $20 credit for any HH stay each month would add up to $240, but only if you stayed (with at least $20 paid) at HH each calendar month of the year. I mention this option since Amex already has something similar on the their Gold card, a $10 credit for using certain restaurants or restaurant delivery/pickup services each month, which adds up to $120 a year but only if you use it every month.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Not sure why it wouldn't be allowed. If it's billed by the hotel it will qualify. The hard thing is it might be charged by the restaurant, not the hotel, depending on how it's set up.
Most hotels will allow you to check out of the room and keep the tab open while you go have lunch though, then you can charge to the room at the restaurant and pay when you're done.
The hotel wouldn't let me leave my room tab open when I went to the restaurant for lunch because apparently they had to keep it clear for someone who was checking in within the next hour. Paid for lunch on the Aspire card, and it showed up on my statement as food and beverage at the hotel. However, the resort credit for the room charges posted automatically, but the F&B charge did not. My credit resets tomorrow so I'll try calling tonight and resolve it.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
An "extra" free night would mean an extra weekend free night most likely (since that's how the current cert is restricted). But did they mention that restriction (or any other restrictions) in the survey? Other hotel programs don't tend to limit the free night to a day of the week, but instead cap the free night to a certain number of points required for a points stay at that property on that date.

Another thing they could consider is a spread-out credit which would only reimburse if you used Hilton consistently: A $20 credit for any HH stay each month would add up to $240, but only if you stayed (with at least $20 paid) at HH each calendar month of the year. I mention this option since Amex already has something similar on the their Gold card, a $10 credit for using certain restaurants or restaurant delivery/pickup services each month, which adds up to $120 a year but only if you use it every month.
I like the first one (not restricting the certificates to weekends) but not the second (as a retired leisure-only traveler, I don't travel every single month, nor do I stay at just Hiltons every single time). You can't please all the people all the time.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I like the first one (not restricting the certificates to weekends) but not the second (as a retired leisure-only traveler, I don't travel every single month, nor do I stay at just Hiltons every single time). You can't please all the people all the time.

Apologies, the survey clearly mentioned a weekend free night (I mentioned it in my post in the general Aspire thread about the old survey and forgot to specify it here - I've edited my post in this thread accordingly). Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Upgrade?

Originally Posted by italdesign
I was told differently by Amex chat, that it resets upon AF billing. For me, that happened 10 days after my "anniversary date" (which chat agent says is the day of card approval).

To be safe, I'd take the later of the two.
So I know amex says the card member year runs from approval, but what about upgrades? Will I (1) have a month between signing up and non pro rated af posting to use $250, or (2) get $250 immediately for 365 days, and then it resets one month before the next af posts. You see what I'm asking? With an upgrade, seems hard to discern when it will reset.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
They may also have gotten a lot of complaints about it via other channels. HH obviously didn't consider the pragmatic issue of central billing. I agree it's otherwise pretty straightforward.
Personally, I find this credit a lot easier to understand compared to the airline fee credit. I was holding off on getting this card for a big reason because I was not sure if I could use the airline credit. I am primarily a once a year Alaska flyer with the Alaska CC, so I don't need it for baggage fees. So I was trying to figure out how else to use it.

The resort fee was easy to understand, and use at the Hilton Hawaiian Village being available as a staycation.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Personally, I find this credit a lot easier to understand compared to the airline fee credit. I was holding off on getting this card for a big reason because I was not sure if I could use the airline credit. I am primarily a once a year Alaska flyer with the Alaska CC, so I don't need it for baggage fees. So I was trying to figure out how else to use it.

The resort fee was easy to understand, and use at the Hilton Hawaiian Village being available as a staycation.
I'm also almost an exclusively AS flyer. We used to be MVPgold, where you can make as many changes, SDCs, cancellations as you want. This year we dropped from MVP GOLD to plain old MVP, and one change, cancellation, not caused by the airline (but our choice) will pay for itself.

We also always fly through PDX or SEA and I can make up the annual fee in Priority Pass alone.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:13 pm

Is priority pass included for free? Does it cover a whole family (2 adults, 2 kids)? Does it cover both domestic and international travel? Do people think it would be valuable for a single international trip this summer (in addition to the resort credit)?

Im trying to decide if there is enough value in the benefits of the card, given the fee, and that Im already Diamond.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:27 pm

You have to look at the Priority Pass website, at each airport you will be in, to see what Clubs/restaurants they cover...will it be in the terminal where you are, or easy to get to?

I can't speak to a family of 4 but as a couple we have had no issues having them swipe the card twice for 2 of us each visit.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gvaughn
Is priority pass included for free? Does it cover a whole family (2 adults, 2 kids)? Does it cover both domestic and international travel? Do people think it would be valuable for a single international trip this summer (in addition to the resort credit)?

Im trying to decide if there is enough value in the benefits of the card, given the fee, and that Im already Diamond.
It has nothing to do with domestic v. International. If you can physically access the lounge, you can access it regardless of what kind of flight you have.
You have access for you and up to two guests. Some lounges do not allow children in. Whether children count as a guest or not depends on the lounge. From the Priority Pass website:
​​​"Many lounges will allow children to enter, charged at the same rate as an adult guest - some lounges will also allow children under a certain age to enter for free. For more details on age restrictions please check the lounge pages of our website or on our app."
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
It has nothing to do with domestic v. International. If you can physically access the lounge, you can access it regardless of what kind of flight you have.
You have access for you and up to two guests. Some lounges do not allow children in. Whether children count as a guest or not depends on the lounge. From the Priority Pass website:
​​​"Many lounges will allow children to enter, charged at the same rate as an adult guest - some lounges will also allow children under a certain age to enter for free. For more details on age restrictions please check the lounge pages of our website or on our app."
OK thanks. I was confusing that with the accelerated screening programs that exist that speed you through security lines because they pre-screen you (I think there are different ones for domestic vs international).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:11 pm

ok, now that I've re-read through the benefits and checked-out the Priority Pass website, it appears that the Priority Pass can be applied for an unlimited number of visits for you and up to 2 guests. Do all cardholders get their own Priority Pass Select account, or is it just one per Aspire account? I specifically ask this based on info from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyj.../#89100eb29d7b

Specifically the Forbes article states: "Authorized credit card users can get their own Priority Pass membership"
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:27 pm

hi guys. staying at a resort but i booked it via citi prestige, which will credit me back 4th night if i pay the hotel bill with the citi card. what is a good way to use the aspire credit? can i use the card at the hotel restaurant or must it only be used at the checkout? and if that i the case, can i have them split the bill at checkout? when citi booked my stay, they booked estimate $200 x4. when the bill arrives, let's say it is $800 in room rate + misc in taxes plus $300 in food. can i have the hotel split tender and charge $250 to aspire and the rest to the citi? would this work? thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.