Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[Archive 2021-2023 Hilton Amex Aspire $200 Resort Credit]

Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$250 Hilton Resort Credit

Note: The web page for the resorts has changed. You must input dates and/or a specific region to get a list of all resorts in that region. Sometimes the web page works better on a mobile device.

The resort credit benefit changed in late 2023. Refer to this separate discussion and wikipost for FAQs.

AMEX TERMS:
During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $250 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases. Visit hilton.com/resorts for the list of participating Hilton Resorts. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per renewal year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible Hilton purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges.

FAQ

ELIGIBLE RATES
1) Do you have to book directly through Hilton in order to receive the resort credit?
NO. See below.

2) If I’m booking at Hilton.com or through the Hilton app, etc., are any rates not eligible for the resort credit?
Any rates charged by the hotel directly will trigger the credit. Advance purchase rates for properties in the USA are charged by Hilton Corporate in Tennessee and WILL NOT trigger the credit. Advance purchase rates for properties outside the USA are typically charged by the hotel directly, so these WILL trigger the credit. According to DoC and the discussion from post #849 onwards advance purchase rates are becoming ineligible starting Aug 1, 2019, though it is unclear how this will be enforced for international properties.

3) I have to book through my corporate travel agent or use my corporate rate code at Hilton.com, will I still get the resort credit?
YES. Any rates that are charged by the hotel directly will trigger the credit.

4) What about bookings through Orbitz, Expedia, and other online travel agencies?
As long as the rate is “pay at hotel” then it will trigger the credit. Prepaid and other special rates that are charged directly by Orbitz or Expedia, etc. and not the hotel will not trigger the credit.

5) I’m looking at an eligible hotel that charges a refundable one-night deposit for all bookings, can I get the resort credit for this?
YES. As long as the deposit is charged directly by an eligible hotel to your Aspire, it will trigger the credit.

6) I see the Aspire also offers a $100 property credit at certain Conrad and Waldorf Astoria properties. What is the difference? Can I combine both credits?
YES, these are different credits but it is possible to combine them. In order to be eligible for the $100 property credit you must book a specific rate via the www.hiltonhonorsaspirecard.com website. The $100 property credit will be applied by the property at check-out before you card is charged, while the $250 resort credit will be applied by AMEX a few days after the charge appears on your statement.

For example, say you book the qualifying property credit rate via the website above for 2 nights @ $250/night, and then charge $100 in dinner to your room. At check-out, your preliminary folio is $600. The front desk will apply the $100 credit, making your final folio $500 which would be charged to your Aspire. A few days later AMEX will apply the $250 resort credit to your AMEX statement, making your total out of pocket only $250 for a $600 stay. Not bad!

ELIGIBLE PROPERTIES

As of 2022 or 2023, there is no static list of eligible properties.
You can either go to Hilton.com/resorts and hit "explore more resorts," or apply the "Resorts" filter on the search yourself.

7) Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for this credit!

8) However, the hilton.com/resorts website isn’t the best! Please search thoroughly. For example, the Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas does not appear when you search North America > US & Hawaii > Nevada, but it does appear if you search the map.

9) I didn’t see a property listed at the official Hilton Resorts link, but it did show up when searching Hilton.com and filtering amenities to “Resort Property,” can I get the resort credit here?
NO. Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit.

10) What about this hotel I stayed at last year, it’s not listed at the official Hilton Resorts link, but it has a pool and a spa and the sun was out when I was there, surely I can get the resort credit there?
NO. Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit.

11) OK, I get it, only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit, but are there any others that have fallen through the cracks?
Any properties that are not listed at the official Hilton Resorts link but with positive reports of triggering the resort credit are listed below:
- HILTON WAIKIKI BEACH HOTEL (reported by jphripjah May 1, 2018) Has been added to hilton.com/resorts since.
El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort is not listed on Hilton Resorts searchable link (by state), but shows up on the map. It is reported it by mdosu April 10, 2018 that there is positive report of triggering the resort credit.

ELIGIBLE CHARGES
12) What charges are eligible for this resort credit?
ANYTHING charged directly by the hotel or to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit. Room rate, taxes, fees, room service, dining, bars, spa, transportation, jet skis, beach chairs, excursions, etc. etc. etc. AMEX doesn’t discriminate on what the charge is, as long as the charge appears directly from an eligible hotel it will trigger the credit.

13) I booked an award stay using Honors points at an eligible property, can I still get the resort credit for incidentals charged to the room if I pay with my Aspire?
YES. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire.

14) I booked a prepaid rate through Orbitz at an eligible property with a different credit card, can I still get the resort credit for my hotel bar tab that I charged to the room if settle this at check-out with my Aspire?
YES. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire.

15) I bought some cat food and fresh underwear at the hotel gift shop and charged it to my room. It’s an eligible property and I’m paying with my Aspire, but surely I won’t get the resort credit for this?
WRONG. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire. And don’t call me Shirley.

CREDIT TIMING
16) How long does the resort credit take to post to my Amex statement?
The resort credit typically posts between 2-5 days after 10 days or even more after the eligible charge posts to your Amex account. Note that sometimes your charge will not even be processed until the following day, early in the morning.

17) What happens if I stay in an eligible property, pay with my Aspire, but the resort credit doesn't post automatically?
If the resort credit hasn't posted within 7 days, it will most likely not post automatically, and you need to call Amex to have it manually applied. Unfortunately Amex typically requires you to wait until 8 weeks after the charge before they will manually apply the resort credit. The credit not posting automatically is very rare though, see below.

18) What properties seem to have issues with the credit posting automatically?
FT members have reported that the resort credit has not posted automatically at several of the eligible resorts:

LXR Susona Bodrum, Turkey - May 2021 [Also, bonus is showing 3x, not 14x. Indicating this hotel is not coded correctly in their system. Multiple chats did not resolve this problem but a phone call did.
Resort credit has now posted and was told this should be fixed going forward. Still waiting for add'l 11x bonus points]

19) Is the credit per membership year or per calendar year?
Per membership year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.

20) For which resorts has the resort credit posted?
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines
Crocksford Las Vegas
WA Grand Wailea - Multiple reports of credit not posting automatically, however one positive data point in Feb 2019 of the credit posting, YMMV.
DT Fallsview Resort Niagara Falls - several reports
Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk - 7/6/2021
Hilton Tokyo Bay - several reports
Elara Las Vegas - several reports
WA La Quinta - two reports
Hilton Mauritius - one report
Hilton Sedona - one report
Jewel Dunn River Curio Jamaica - one report
Hilton Malta - one report
Hilton Queenstown Resort and Spa - 8/2019, 2/2023
Hilton Hangzhou Qiandao Lake Resort - 4/2018
Hilton Sanqingshan Resort -4/2019
Hilton Palm Springs, CA - 1/2022
Hilton Waterfront Resort, Huntington Beach, CA - 10/2021

Print Wikipost

[Archive 2021-2023 Hilton Amex Aspire $200 Resort Credit]

Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Thank you for doing the research, I’ve edited my post accordingly. One instance of clawback in a thread with almost 1000 posts and probably hundreds of data points, a rate far less than 1/10 of 1%, hardly worth worrying about.
Every one has a different risk tolerance. That said, as has been pointed out in prior discussions of the topic, the worst case scenario if you cancel a reservation and the credit is clawed back is that you end up neutral. I wouldn't assume that the lack of discussion of those circumstances means it doesn't happen. And certainly, the vast majority of posts in this thread aren't individual data points of people who made qualifying charges and then canceled them. Indeed, there are less than a dozen of data points as to that. So your rate of "less than 1/10 of 1 %" is not accurate. (Approximately 45% of posts on this thread are "Does property X qualify?" And another 45% are variations on "how can I use the credit if I'm not staying at a qualifying property?")

The bigger risk if you make reservations and cancel them frequently, which could happen more given the credit is now going to be twice per year, and Amex's fraud department catches wind.
SPN Lifer and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
If I understood whats happening correctly with the new Aspire card, I need to use the 250$ credit before the end of the calendar year and starting jan 1 I get another 200$ to use within 6 months, so like the airline credit we get to double dip.

My plans changed so now I am in the Yucatan, so I can book a resort now instead of later and trying to get them to charge me by calling the front desk or being charged a deposit (mostly outside of the US its the property itself that reserves it ?).

Will book on points either the Conrad Tulum or WA Cancun, use the resort credit to cover the food. Question is, which is better ? So far service at Conrads has been clearly superior to WAs.

Happy Holidays !
Old Dec 26, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by davidvcd
If I understood whats happening correctly with the new Aspire card, I need to use the 250$ credit before the end of the calendar year and starting jan 1 I get another 200$ to use within 6 months, so like the airline credit we get to double dip.

My plans changed so now I am in the Yucatan, so I can book a resort now instead of later and trying to get them to charge me by calling the front desk or being charged a deposit (mostly outside of the US its the property itself that reserves it ?).

Will book on points either the Conrad Tulum or WA Cancun, use the resort credit to cover the food. Question is, which is better ? So far service at Conrads has been clearly superior to WAs.

Happy Holidays !
I'm not sure what you mean double dip. There is a credit for charges incurred January - December 2023 and another for charges incurred January to June 2024. No charge would be eligible for both. As noted in this thread (post #911), this is unlike the airline credit, where a single charge could trigger both the old annual credit and the new quarterly credit.
I suggest you review the threads on the two different properties, where many have addressed similar queries, as this thread is not the best place for discussion of experiences at various Hilton resorts unrelated to the credit. Note, the properties are nowhere near each other.

Last edited by Adam1222; Dec 26, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Old Dec 26, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
My son checked into Playa del Carmen yesterday, checking out Jan 1
Good news, paid $86 + $94 to improve his AA seats, reimbursed both + $50 yesterday
On Dec 29 he will ask the front desk to clear his charges (I think he/wife have booked massages), can’t think of any downside.
On Jan 1 he will pay any additional charges when checking out
I will let everyone know how it shakes out
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm not sure what you mean double dip. There is a credit for charges incurred January - December 2023 and another for charges incurred January to June 2024. No charge would be eligible for both. As noted in this thread (post #911), this is unlike the airline credit, where a single charge could trigger both the old annual credit and the new quarterly credit.
I suggest you review the threads on the two different properties, where many have addressed similar queries, as this thread is not the best place for discussion of experiences at various Hilton resorts unrelated to the credit. Note, the properties are nowhere near each other.
I think he means the old $250 credit was a card year thing so if your card renewed in December theoretically you would get $500 this calander year and then the new $200 semi annual credit January 1st.
diesteldorf and v702 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:12 am

Had a stay at HHV and used my card for the $250 credit. Checked out on Christmas Day so I assume the credit won't post until Jan 2024. I assume it will still apply for the $250 2023 credit?
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by boingyman
Had a stay at HHV and used my card for the $250 credit. Checked out on Christmas Day so I assume the credit won't post until Jan 2024. I assume it will still apply for the $250 2023 credit?
As long as the charge posts in 2023 it doesn't matter when the credit posts.
SPN Lifer and boingyman like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ssk244
Trying to use my $250 credit before 12/31 and booked the Hilton Vacation Club Lake Tahoe for next weekend. Any recent DPs for this property and the $250 Aspire credit?
Originally Posted by ssk244
Checked out today, so I'll report back if the credit works. In other news it's an extremely mediocre property with ridiculous resort fees/parking fees and zero Diamond benefits. Way too sales-y with the timeshare sales pitch. Would not stay here again, and it's too bad it's the only Hilton resort property within driving distance from the Bay Area. I'm undecided if I'll keep the Aspire card for the next renewal, and if I do will stick to Vegas and plan ahead better next time to use up the credit before it expires.
Back to report the credit posted. Here are my DPs:

12/3 $110.32 deposit at Tropicana Las Vegas (the reservation required a 1 night deposit)
12/4 I canceled that reservation as we decided to drive to Tahoe instead of flying to Vegas, refund posted
12/12 -$110.32 resort credit posted (was surprised as I canceled/refunded within 24 hrs, and expected a clawback)
12/16 $639.82 charged at check-out for my 2 night stay at Hilton Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
12/26 -$139.68 credited (it actually showed up today as I have been checking religiously, but the date says yesterday)

So roughly 9-10 days to post. Hope that there are no IT/clawback shenanigans with the Tropicana portion, but at least we have 2 DPs on Tropicana AND Hilton Lake Tahoe. I'm really undecided if I'll keep this card, but at least I have until May to figure it out.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:05 pm

I'm trying to make some prepayments for an upcoming reservation at Hilton Grand Vacations King's Land Waikoala to burn some Aspire credits. I've got some questions around this:

1 - If I make an advanced payment that posts and I get the credit, and then don't charge any incidentals to the room, will the credit be applied to nightly rate instead at check out?
2 - Can I make multiple prepayments to a reservation?
3 - Can the prepayments be made via a credit card of a different person who is not the reservation owner? i.e. P2's Aspire card who will be in the trip with me.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by penguinpenguin
I'm trying to make some prepayments for an upcoming reservation at Hilton Grand Vacations King's Land Waikoala to burn some Aspire credits. I've got some questions around this:

1 - If I make an advanced payment that posts and I get the credit, and then don't charge any incidentals to the room, will the credit be applied to nightly rate instead at check out?
2 - Can I make multiple prepayments to a reservation?
3 - Can the prepayments be made via a credit card of a different person who is not the reservation owner? i.e. P2's Aspire card who will be in the trip with me.

Thanks!
​​​​​​These are questions for you to ask the property. They are not related to the card. Whether a property wants to indulge the little hacks people on this thread have come up with is up to them, and whether they want to jump through hoops to help you is solely within their discretion.

For purposes of the card, the question is only "is this a charge made by a hotel on the list?" If it is, the credit applies, whether you stayed there, your best friends grandmother stayed there, whether you spent it on fillbets, whether you spent it on seventeen orders of applesauce, whether you spent it on 73 one dollar transactions, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
please confirm my understanding that this is a member year benefit, so if my anniversary is say 12/1 and I got the benefit early in say 1/23 I should be able to charge at a qualified resort after 12/1 and receive the $250 credit, then again after 1/1/24 for the new benefit of $200 per half year, which is the new card benefit (tied to calendar year).
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:51 pm

That is correct.
SPN Lifer and psychtobe like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by penguinpenguin

Thanks!
Yes, if the property is on the eligible list, it doesn't matter whose Aspire card pays for the reservation.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.