Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 5, 19, 4:16 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Enigma368
Wiki Link
$250 Hilton Resort Credit

AMEX TERMS:
During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $250 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases. Visit hilton.com/resorts for the list of participating Hilton Resorts. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per renewal year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible Hilton purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges.

FAQ

ELIGIBLE RATES
1) Do you have to book directly through Hilton in order to receive the resort credit?
NO. See below.

2) If Iím booking at Hilton.com or through the Hilton app, etc., are any rates not eligible for the resort credit?
Any rates charged by the hotel directly will trigger the credit. Advance purchase rates for properties in the USA are charged by Hilton Corporate in Tennessee and WILL NOT trigger the credit. Advance purchase rates for properties outside the USA are typically charged by the hotel directly, so these WILL trigger the credit. According to DoC and the discussion from post #849 onwards advance purchase rates are becoming ineligible starting Aug 1, 2019, though it is unclear how this will be enforced for international properties.

3) I have to book through my corporate travel agent or use my corporate rate code at Hilton.com, will I still get the resort credit?
YES. Any rates that are charged by the hotel directly will trigger the credit.

4) What about bookings through Orbitz, Expedia, and other online travel agencies?
As long as the rate is ďpay at hotelĒ then it will trigger the credit. Prepaid and other special rates that are charged directly by Orbitz or Expedia, etc. and not the hotel will not trigger the credit.

5) Iím looking at an eligible hotel that charges a refundable one-night deposit for all bookings, can I get the resort credit for this?
YES. As long as the deposit is charged directly by an eligible hotel to your Aspire, it will trigger the credit.

6) I see the Aspire also offers a $100 property credit at certain Conrad and Waldorf Astoria properties. What is the difference? Can I combine both credits?
YES, these are different credits but it is possible to combine them. In order to be eligible for the $100 property credit you must book a specific rate via the www.hiltonhonorsaspirecard.com website. The $100 property credit will be applied by the property at check-out before you card is charged, while the $250 resort credit will be applied by AMEX a few days after the charge appears on your statement.

For example, say you book the qualifying property credit rate via the website above for 2 nights @ $250/night, and then charge $100 in dinner to your room. At check-out, your preliminary folio is $600. The front desk will apply the $100 credit, making your final folio $500 which would be charged to your Aspire. A few days later AMEX will apply the $250 resort credit to your AMEX statement, making your total out of pocket only $250 for a $600 stay. Not bad!

ELIGIBLE PROPERTIES
7) Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for this credit!

8) However, the hilton.com/resorts website isnít the best! Please search thoroughly. For example, the Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas does not appear when you search North America > US & Hawaii > Nevada, but it does appear if you search the map.

9) I didnít see a property listed at the official Hilton Resorts link, but it did show up when searching Hilton.com and filtering amenities to ďResort Property,Ē can I get the resort credit here?
NO. Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit.

10) What about this hotel I stayed at last year, itís not listed at the official Hilton Resorts link, but it has a pool and a spa and the sun was out when I was there, surely I can get the resort credit there?
NO. Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit.

11) OK, I get it, only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit, but are there any others that have fallen through the cracks?
Any properties that are not listed at the official Hilton Resorts link but with positive reports of triggering the resort credit are listed below:
- HILTON WAIKIKI BEACH HOTEL (reported by jphripjah May 1, 2018) Has been added to hilton.com/resorts since.
El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort is not listed on Hilton Resorts searchable link (by state), but shows up on the map. It is reported it by mdosu April 10, 2018 that there is positive report of triggering the resort credit.

ELIGIBLE CHARGES
12) What charges are eligible for this resort credit?
ANYTHING charged directly by the hotel or to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit. Room rate, taxes, fees, room service, dining, bars, spa, transportation, jet skis, beach chairs, excursions, etc. etc. etc. AMEX doesnít discriminate on what the charge is, as long as the charge appears directly from an eligible hotel it will trigger the credit.

13) I booked an award stay using Honors points at an eligible property, can I still get the resort credit for incidentals charged to the room if I pay with my Aspire?
YES. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire.

14) I booked a prepaid rate through Orbitz at an eligible property with a different credit card, can I still get the resort credit for my hotel bar tab that I charged to the room if settle this at check-out with my Aspire?
YES. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire.

15) I bought some cat food and fresh underwear at the hotel gift shop and charged it to my room. Itís an eligible property and Iím paying with my Aspire, but surely I wonít get the resort credit for this?
WRONG. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire. And donít call me Shirley.

CREDIT TIMING
16) How long does the resort credit take to post to my Amex statement?
The resort credit typically posts between 2-5 days after the eligible charge posts to your Amex account.

17) What happens if I stay in an eligible property, pay with my Aspire, but the resort credit doesn't post automatically?
If the resort credit hasn't posted within 7 days, it will most likely not post automatically, and you need to call Amex to have it manually applied. Unfortunately Amex typically requires you to wait until 8 weeks after the charge before they will manually apply the resort credit. The credit not posting automatically is very rare though, see below.

18) What properties seem to have issues with the credit posting automatically?
FT members have reported that the resort credit has not posted automatically at several of the eligible resorts:

19) Is the credit per membership year or per calendar year?
Per membership year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.

20) At what resorts has the resort fee been credited for?
WA Grand Wailea - Multiple reports of credit not posting automatically, however one positive data point in Feb 2019 of the credit posting, YMMV.
DT Fallsview Resort Niagara Falls - several reports
Hilton Tokyo Bay - several reports
Elara Las Vegas - several reports
WA La Quinta - two reports
Hilton Mauritius - one report
Hilton Sedona - one report
Jewel Dunn River Curio Jamaica - one report
Hilton Malta - one report
Hilton Queenstown Resort and Spa - 8/2019
Hilton Hangzhou Qiandao Lake Resort - 4/2018
Hilton Sanqingshan Resort -4/2019
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 19, 8:22 am

I can confirm the resort credit on original card application in instances of upgrade to Aspire.
My wife applied for Surpass on 5/31 several years ago, downgraded to free card about a year later, and upgraded to Aspire 12/2/18. She got the credit for a stay check out late April, and just got another credit after checking out 7/22.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ask4haas View Post
My annual renews in 7/24. I used it over the weekend and it got charged on the 21st. Anyone know if will get this year $250 credit of next year $250?
Originally Posted by Ask4haas View Post
My credit came in yesterday. So it only took 3 days for me.
Well, since you posted on the 25th, yesterday would be the 24th,which is the same day you said your annual renews. So with it being that tight, I think you'll have to chat with Amex (and save that chat in case someone tells you differently later) to find out whether the credit counted toward the card year that just end3e or the card year that just started.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge is listed as a resort on the "resorts" website. Last Wednesday I booked two nights there for late August. I was surprised to see/read that the reservation needed to be prepaid in spite of it being "flexible." The full $250 credit posted to my AMEX Aspire card this morning.
Old Jul 29, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rabilancia View Post
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge is listed as a resort on the "resorts" website. Last Wednesday I booked two nights there for late August. I was surprised to see/read that the reservation needed to be prepaid in spite of it being "flexible." The full $250 credit posted to my AMEX Aspire card this morning.
Hoe was this reservation billed? I presume the reason it worked it because it was a prepayment direct to the hotel because of terms of the rate, rather than prepaid rate (which in the US gets billed by Hilton central, and thus does not qualify for the credit).

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 19, 1:43 pm

Looking to make a 3 night reservation at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista Palace. Wanted to pay for one night (using my $250 credit), will use my free weekend certificate for one night, and will use points for the 3rd night. I know I have to call in for the free night certificate. I also see they charge a one-night deposit for bookings. From the thread if I understand correctly, it seems that a hotel that charges a deposit will trigger the credit (as opposed to a true advance pay rate). But I wanted to confirm (or find out if there's a way I can check on this prior to booking).

Side note - if I try to do all three nights through whoever I get to when I call to use my free night certificate - would that affect how the one-night deposit is billed for the night I'm actually paying for?
Old Jul 29, 19, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by David Simon View Post
Looking to make a 3 night reservation at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista Palace. Wanted to pay for one night (using my $250 credit), will use my free weekend certificate for one night, and will use points for the 3rd night. I know I have to call in for the free night certificate. I also see they charge a one-night deposit for bookings. From the thread if I understand correctly, it seems that a hotel that charges a deposit will trigger the credit (as opposed to a true advance pay rate). But I wanted to confirm (or find out if there's a way I can check on this prior to booking).

Side note - if I try to do all three nights through whoever I get to when I call to use my free night certificate - would that affect how the one-night deposit is billed for the night I'm actually paying for?
Booking the rate that charges the one night deposit will trigger the credit. As long as the rate is the same, then it shouldn't matter if you book this online first or over the phone.
Old Jul 30, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Hoe was this reservation billed? I presume the reason it worked it because it was a prepayment direct to the hotel because of terms of the rate, rather than prepaid rate (which in the US gets billed by Hilton central, and thus does not qualify for the credit).
What you point out is what I too understood. I simply booked the reservation @ Hilton.com -- payment was required by the website to confirm.
According to my AMEX account:
"Will appear on your...statement as DOUBLETREE HOTELS BRECKENRIDGE CO"
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:02 am

We know that the $250 credit resets on card anniversary date, which is the date the original card was signed up for (not upgrade date).

But my Aspire card was upgraded from the free Hilton card that was converted from Citi Hilton. So it was Citi Hilton -> AMEX free Hilton -> Aspire. Should I expect a new credit based on the date I signed up for the Citi card or the date it converted to AMEX? I donít see any way to see how much credit I have left online.
Old Jul 31, 19, 11:28 pm

Booked 2 nights for next April 2020 at Doubletree Fiji Sonaisali island.. USD equivalent came to around $375 and the room is a refundable room (upto 9 days before arrival). My question is when will my Aspire get charged for the full amount... after the stay or in next few days? I am asking as I don't see any temporary charges on my AMEX yet.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps View Post
Booked 2 nights for next April 2020 at Doubletree Fiji Sonaisali island.. USD equivalent came to around $375 and the room is a refundable room (upto 9 days before arrival). My question is when will my Aspire get charged for the full amount... after the stay or in next few days? I am asking as I don't see any temporary charges on my AMEX yet.
That all depends on what rate you booked. What do the terms say?

If this is just a normal rate that you can cancel without penalty until 9 days prior, then your card won't get charged until you check out. The hotel may put a pending charge through a week or a day in advance etc. to make sure its legit, but the actual charge won't post till after you check out.

But if it's a rate that charges a refundable deposit, then that will vary from hotel to hotel. Sometimes it will get charged immediately upon booking, other times a week later or a month before, etc. No way to know other than calling the hotel or finding the dedicated hotel thread here and asking if any others have booked a similar rate and when did the deposit charge hit.
Old Aug 1, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Silver
Booked a one night stay at the Waldorf Astoria Versailles - Trianon Palace on 07/26 (advance purchase rate).
Charge posted on 07/29.
Received the $250 credit on 07/31.
George M likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Well, since you posted on the 25th, yesterday would be the 24th,which is the same day you said your annual renews. So with it being that tight, I think you'll have to chat with Amex (and save that chat in case someone tells you differently later) to find out whether the credit counted toward the card year that just end3e or the card year that just started.
I did call and they said my annual is actually on the 25th. I assumed it was the 24th because that's when i got my approval email when i applied it a year ago. So i got super lucky.
And they said the credit resets on the day of your anniversary. The guy said it might be from the day after and he put me on a brief hold to double check, and he confirmed it resets on your anniversary date.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Hi All,
I read the wiki where it says 13) I booked an award stay using Honors points at an eligible property, can I still get the resort credit for incidentals charged to the room if I pay with my Aspire?
Any one have experience with this? Because when I called AMEX to ask ( before I looked here) they said the credit would not work on award stays. Maybe she did not understand that I didn't mean to pay for the room but for things charged to the room.
Old Aug 2, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by <3vacations View Post
Hi All,
I read the wiki where it says 13) I booked an award stay using Honors points at an eligible property, can I still get the resort credit for incidentals charged to the room if I pay with my Aspire?
Any one have experience with this? Because when I called AMEX to ask ( before I looked here) they said the credit would not work on award stays. Maybe she did not understand that I didn't mean to pay for the room but for things charged to the room.
Lots of people. Amex has no way of knowing whether your $200 at Hilton Resort X was on an award stay or for a paid stay or for room service .
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:39 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
My anniversary date isnít until November. Iím taking a trip to Bali in August-September. Has anyone had any success moving their anniversary date up and paying the renewal fee which Iím happy to do?

My life has changed where im not as free to do as I had pleased.

Search this Thread