Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 5, 19, 4:16 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Enigma368
Wiki Link
$250 Hilton Resort Credit

AMEX TERMS:
During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $250 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases. Visit hilton.com/resorts for the list of participating Hilton Resorts. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per renewal year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible Hilton purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges.

FAQ

ELIGIBLE RATES
1) Do you have to book directly through Hilton in order to receive the resort credit?
NO. See below.

2) If Iím booking at Hilton.com or through the Hilton app, etc., are any rates not eligible for the resort credit?
Any rates charged by the hotel directly will trigger the credit. Advance purchase rates for properties in the USA are charged by Hilton Corporate in Tennessee and WILL NOT trigger the credit. Advance purchase rates for properties outside the USA are typically charged by the hotel directly, so these WILL trigger the credit. According to DoC and the discussion from post #849 onwards advance purchase rates are becoming ineligible starting Aug 1, 2019, though it is unclear how this will be enforced for international properties.

3) I have to book through my corporate travel agent or use my corporate rate code at Hilton.com, will I still get the resort credit?
YES. Any rates that are charged by the hotel directly will trigger the credit.

4) What about bookings through Orbitz, Expedia, and other online travel agencies?
As long as the rate is ďpay at hotelĒ then it will trigger the credit. Prepaid and other special rates that are charged directly by Orbitz or Expedia, etc. and not the hotel will not trigger the credit.

5) Iím looking at an eligible hotel that charges a refundable one-night deposit for all bookings, can I get the resort credit for this?
YES. As long as the deposit is charged directly by an eligible hotel to your Aspire, it will trigger the credit.

6) I see the Aspire also offers a $100 property credit at certain Conrad and Waldorf Astoria properties. What is the difference? Can I combine both credits?
YES, these are different credits but it is possible to combine them. In order to be eligible for the $100 property credit you must book a specific rate via the www.hiltonhonorsaspirecard.com website. The $100 property credit will be applied by the property at check-out before you card is charged, while the $250 resort credit will be applied by AMEX a few days after the charge appears on your statement.

For example, say you book the qualifying property credit rate via the website above for 2 nights @ $250/night, and then charge $100 in dinner to your room. At check-out, your preliminary folio is $600. The front desk will apply the $100 credit, making your final folio $500 which would be charged to your Aspire. A few days later AMEX will apply the $250 resort credit to your AMEX statement, making your total out of pocket only $250 for a $600 stay. Not bad!

ELIGIBLE PROPERTIES
7) Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for this credit!

8) However, the hilton.com/resorts website isnít the best! Please search thoroughly. For example, the Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas does not appear when you search North America > US & Hawaii > Nevada, but it does appear if you search the map.

9) I didnít see a property listed at the official Hilton Resorts link, but it did show up when searching Hilton.com and filtering amenities to ďResort Property,Ē can I get the resort credit here?
NO. Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit.

10) What about this hotel I stayed at last year, itís not listed at the official Hilton Resorts link, but it has a pool and a spa and the sun was out when I was there, surely I can get the resort credit there?
NO. Only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit.

11) OK, I get it, only properties listed at the official Hilton Resorts link (hilton.com/resorts) are eligible for the credit, but are there any others that have fallen through the cracks?
Any properties that are not listed at the official Hilton Resorts link but with positive reports of triggering the resort credit are listed below:
- HILTON WAIKIKI BEACH HOTEL (reported by jphripjah May 1, 2018) Has been added to hilton.com/resorts since.
El Conquistador Tucson, A Hilton Resort is not listed on Hilton Resorts searchable link (by state), but shows up on the map. It is reported it by mdosu April 10, 2018 that there is positive report of triggering the resort credit.

ELIGIBLE CHARGES
12) What charges are eligible for this resort credit?
ANYTHING charged directly by the hotel or to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit. Room rate, taxes, fees, room service, dining, bars, spa, transportation, jet skis, beach chairs, excursions, etc. etc. etc. AMEX doesnít discriminate on what the charge is, as long as the charge appears directly from an eligible hotel it will trigger the credit.

13) I booked an award stay using Honors points at an eligible property, can I still get the resort credit for incidentals charged to the room if I pay with my Aspire?
YES. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire.

14) I booked a prepaid rate through Orbitz at an eligible property with a different credit card, can I still get the resort credit for my hotel bar tab that I charged to the room if settle this at check-out with my Aspire?
YES. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire.

15) I bought some cat food and fresh underwear at the hotel gift shop and charged it to my room. Itís an eligible property and Iím paying with my Aspire, but surely I wonít get the resort credit for this?
WRONG. ANYTHING charged to your room by an eligible property will trigger the resort credit, as long as you settle the charges with your Aspire. And donít call me Shirley.

CREDIT TIMING
16) How long does the resort credit take to post to my Amex statement?
The resort credit typically posts between 2-5 days after the eligible charge posts to your Amex account.

17) What happens if I stay in an eligible property, pay with my Aspire, but the resort credit doesn't post automatically?
If the resort credit hasn't posted within 7 days, it will most likely not post automatically, and you need to call Amex to have it manually applied. Unfortunately Amex typically requires you to wait until 8 weeks after the charge before they will manually apply the resort credit. The credit not posting automatically is very rare though, see below.

18) What properties seem to have issues with the credit posting automatically?
FT members have reported that the resort credit has not posted automatically at several of the eligible resorts:

19) Is the credit per membership year or per calendar year?
Per membership year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.

20) At what resorts has the resort fee been credited for?
WA Grand Wailea - Multiple reports of credit not posting automatically, however one positive data point in Feb 2019 of the credit posting, YMMV.
DT Fallsview Resort Niagara Falls - several reports
Hilton Tokyo Bay - several reports
Elara Las Vegas - several reports
WA La Quinta - two reports
Hilton Mauritius - one report
Hilton Sedona - one report
Jewel Dunn River Curio Jamaica - one report
Hilton Malta - one report
Hilton Queenstown Resort and Spa - 8/2019
Hilton Hangzhou Qiandao Lake Resort - 4/2018
Hilton Sanqingshan Resort -4/2019
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 13, 20, 5:36 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
If Iím staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek and charge something at the spa thatís technically at the Waldorf Astoria, will it still trigger any remaining credit? I assume so as long as I charge it to the room.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Any New Datapoint/Update on Elara Las Vegas for the $250 Credit

There were several reports in the past (about a year ago) that members didn't receive (or had very hard time) to receive the $250 Resort Credit for stays in HGV Elara at Las Vegas. Is there any update on this? Is stay in Elara still having issue to receive the credit?

I stayed in Las Vegas's Waldorf Astoria in May last year. Although I received the resort credits without any problem, but I had very poor experience with the staffs at the front desk during check-in and check-out. They even billed me $8.xx which was due to the previous guest in my room (as they told me). It was removed from my bill at check-out but then they separately charged it to my card. Everyone I spoke with were inefficient, incompetent, and rude. I had very bad experience staying there. I have stayed in Elara many times in the past. It is not a great property, but it was ok. So if Elara is now processing the $250 resort credit properly on time then I will stay in Elara. Otherwise I might try Tropicana this time. Any feedback?
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KafkaExploring View Post
1. There is a data point to that effect in this thread from early last year. Someone contacted the hotel and they emailed him a form, then billed him in advance for a refundable rate. It was directly billed by the hotel (resort) so it triggered the credit.
2. Seems to be YMMV. Several cases of charging golf or meals, but other cases of charging meals which posted from the restaurant. Maybe you could ask them to bill it to you at the front desk despite not having a room? Not sure I'd drive clear to MO for that chance, but you never know.
In the case of golf, I'd just want to phone a pro shop somewhere and order shirts or balls or whatever. Have the stuff shipped. But it sounds like that's not reliable in terms of how it posts, and the guy who answers the phone isn't going to know for sure, and I don't actually need any $90 golf shirts with a Hilton logo on them.

In the case of Branson, there's a qualifying resort down there which we could go down and spend a night in just for fun. We would be huge fish out of water in that town but that in and of itself could be amusing for 24 hours.

July property will be the Boca Beach Club. I will shoot them a note...
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Ketawa View Post
I stayed at the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Grand Key - Key West for a couple nights using free night certificates. I was able to charge several things to the room, but had to check out and stayed at the hotel until the evening, purchasing food and drinks directly from the bar. I have two Aspire cards. Some charges have been reimbursed automatically, some have not. I have physical receipts for the charges that have not been reimbursed showing the hotel's name.

Aspire 1
$181.31 posted 11/3, reimbursed 11/7, charged to the room, appears on statement as "DOUBLETREE GRAND KEY - KEY WEST, FL"
$71.00 posted 11/3, has not been reimbursed, charged by the bar, appears on statement as "DOUBLETREE GRAND KEY F - KEY WEST, FL"

Aspire 2
$119.07 posted 11/3, has not been reimbursed, charged by the bar, appears on statement as "DOUBLETREE GRAND KEY F - KEY WEST, FL"
Originally Posted by Ketawa View Post
FWIW, the additional charges were never reimbursed automatically. After contacting Amex customer service a couple of times, I was told I would need to wait 12 weeks to request a manual review. The non-reimbursed charges show as being from the hotel both on the electronic statement and my physical receipts.
Today, I requested manual review of the 2 non-reimbursed charges mentioned above through online chat. Over 14 weeks have passed since the original transactions. Both reimbursements were approved in about 5-10 minutes. I did not need to provide copies of my receipts.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Two questions. My anniversary is April and I need to find a way to use my $250, but I don't have an actual resort stay booked between now and then.

1 - I *will* have a resort stay in July at a US hotel. I will not book a prepaid rate, but is there any way to phone the hotel and prepay $250 to my account? It'll be a Hilton.com AAA rate or maybe an MVP rate. I seem to have read about people doing this but it's not in the Wiki.

2 - Are there any hotels in the system from which it's possible (and reasonably easy) to buy something from when you are not a guest and have it successfully charge your card as being from the hotel. The example I can think of is a golf resort - I phone up, tell them I want some snazzy and grossly overpriced golf shirts. Or maybe the spa - I phone and tell them I want a robe or some creams or whatever my wife would want from a spa.

Last resort (lol) is that we live about 4 hours from Branson. I know we could actually go down there and spend a night and have dinner and blow $250. But that seems like work. (Last time I was in Branson was about 1982.)
As a personal DP, I called the Grand Wailea in December to ask them to charge me $350 as an advance to my reservation for a stay in March 2020 because there was an Amex Offer that was expiring. The CSR was very nice and knew exactly what I was talking about and even assured me they would refund me the $350 if I ended up cancelling the reservation. I didn't need to send any forms or anything, the charged me $350, emailed me a receipt, and I got my credits (Aspire and Amex Offer).
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
None at all. This year. We usually fly AS where we have status and really don't need the credit, but this year we're going two places that AS does not fly, so put one credit on DL and the other card on UA, using them both for upgraded seats and baggage, so worked out fine.
I don't care if they get rid of one credit and sub it with another, I just don't want them to take something away and not replace it with anything.

I also wish they'd lower the spend for another free certificate down from $60k which is awfully high for regular people like us. We hit it last year because of home renovations but it would be difficult to do again.
I personally wouldn't mind if they get rid of the airline credit and just give us $500 in resort credit to be honest. I might end up being more partial to keeping the card after the first year if that were the case. I know that overall the benefits outweigh the AF, but to maximize the annual night benefit, means staying at a hotel I normally wouldn't stay at (although having the HHV as a staycation option is not a bad choice) and considering I am already am using my second calendar year of airline credit before my second AF is due, I am looking at pre-paying $450 for a free night and $250 resort credit. In a vacuum, definitely a deal, but like I said, to make use/maximize the deal will require an additional travel plan beyond our normal family ones. I might talk it out with the better half and see what she says.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
I personally wouldn't mind if they get rid of the airline credit and just give us $500 in resort credit to be honest. I might end up being more partial to keeping the card after the first year if that were the case. I know that overall the benefits outweigh the AF, but to maximize the annual night benefit, means staying at a hotel I normally wouldn't stay at (although having the HHV as a staycation option is not a bad choice) and considering I am already am using my second calendar year of airline credit before my second AF is due, I am looking at pre-paying $450 for a free night and $250 resort credit. In a vacuum, definitely a deal, but like I said, to make use/maximize the deal will require an additional travel plan beyond our normal family ones. I might talk it out with the better half and see what she says.
I'm with you. Amex's version of airline credits are so restricted that they are practically useless to anyone who travels semi-often. The kinds of fees it covers aren't the fees that frequent travelers pay, and they specifically exclude most of the fees we *do* occasionally pay. I know the Amex forum has a thread dedicated to how to maximize value for each given airline, and it's no surprise that they're basically loophole-exploitation threads. When I had a Citi card that had a $250 travel credit, it was just the first $250 you spent on an airline ticket in the given year. That was much easier.
Saidoh likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I'm with you. Amex's version of airline credits are so restricted that they are practically useless to anyone who travels semi-often. The kinds of fees it covers aren't the fees that frequent travelers pay, and they specifically exclude most of the fees we *do* occasionally pay. I know the Amex forum has a thread dedicated to how to maximize value for each given airline, and it's no surprise that they're basically loophole-exploitation threads. When I had a Citi card that had a $250 travel credit, it was just the first $250 you spent on an airline ticket in the given year. That was much easier.
Yeah i have the CSR, and it is great for the travel credit versus the Amex one. I am a little surprised that they have the $250 airline credit on the Aspire, but they didn't have it on the Brilliant. I would have thought Amex would have tried to make their top tier cards more uniform in terms of benefits offered.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I'm looking to potentially make the transition back over to HH from Bonvoy after quite some time, but wow this card is weak for $450/yr (outside of conferring Diamond, obviously).
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
I'm looking to potentially make the transition back over to HH from Bonvoy after quite some time, but wow this card is weak for $450/yr (outside of conferring Diamond, obviously).
Why do you feel it is week? Especially compared to Brilliant (I am assuming that is what you were comparing?)
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
the free weekend night, if used properly, makes this far from weak. Pretty easy to get $300+ out if this. With resort credit and airline reimbursement, it can be an easy decision for some.

Cheers.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
Why do you feel it is week? Especially compared to Brilliant (I am assuming that is what you were comparing?)
Originally Posted by brp View Post
the free weekend night, if used properly, makes this far from weak. Pretty easy to get $300+ out if this. With resort credit and airline reimbursement, it can be an easy decision for some.
Thank you both for your input! I suppose that I agree with other recent comments in this thread that the airline credits are not particularly useful to many frequent flyers. For example, when I fly UA, I don't really pay any of the kind of fees that are approved for reimbursement. And even when I fly other airlines, it's typically in F/J, so same thing again. So that leaves the free weekend night + resort stuff, which strikes me as somewhat restrictive. With the Brilliant card, I'm automatically good to go w/ $300 kickback, which is a given just from a business travel perspective. And I'm not limited to a weekend on the free night cert.

Am I missing something here? I'm not trying to be in the least controversial - just eyeing this carefully as I consider the jump for my 2020 stay pattern (which may or may not involve a lot of stay time - self-employment can be tricky to predict). Oh, and I'm sure there's a better thread to garner insight into the cost/benefit analysis of the cheaper card for Gold or the more expensive for Diamond - any pointers there will be greatly appreciated...

Best all
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:57 pm

Hi! Does anyone have experience using the credit at the Hilton niseko village? I won't be staying at the hotel, but I'd like to use the credit at a restaurant or onsen. I would love some intel about whether the restaurants charge through the hotel or their own merchant. Or else, is there some way to charge to the hotel without being a guest? Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by brp View Post
There's value in this card, but it's gotten greatly eroded. The airline "reimbursement" has become a dreaded chore with uncertain outcome. The resort credit is a tad easier, but still requires a long thread to get it right. The creeping enhancements are taking all the fun out of the experience.
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Planning a trip to Disney World, we are staying on site, but I was thinking of having dinner at Bull and Bear over at the Waldorf one night.

Anyone know if this would trigger the credit?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: