Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Travel router setup for Hilton hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I'm tired of logging in every 24 hours on their Hilton website for internet access with multi devices. Does anyone have a solution to solve this problem? Such as travel router?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
If you are running Windows 10, you can use the built in HotSpot. You won't get the fastest speeds but I find I can connect it to my Chromecast, cell phone without too much of an issue

If not, I also carry this around:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/...L-WR902AC.html

Not really a hilton question so expect this to be moved somewhere else
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcohen999
If you are running Windows 10, you can use the built in HotSpot. You won't get the fastest speeds but I find I can connect it to my Chromecast, cell phone without too much of an issue

If not, I also carry this around:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/...L-WR902AC.html

Not really a Hilton question so expect this to be moved somewhere else
I understood, but this is mainly for Hilton internet.

Do you still need to login to Hilton network for each device when you are connected to the Hilton network page?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lleung1980
I'm tired of logging in every 24 hours on their Hilton website for internet access with multi devices. Does anyone have a solution to solve this problem? Such as travel router?

Thanks in advance
Many properties have the option to set the number of days you want the internet for. Certainly not all but make sure you look for that option
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I used to carry a router around in my backpack for this very thing. It was a wired only model though and new/remodeled hotels seem to be eliminating wired completely. In the last few years I'd say 50% of the Hilton Garden Inn's I stay at with the wired internet, the port is dead. I've been leaving it at home lately.

One thing though with connection sharing, all devices will share the same single pipe of speed. If you authenticate separately they would all theoretically have their own pipe to utilize. I know logging in is a pain. I've noticed recently that locations are switching over to a new system that just needs name and room number and it will detect Honors Diamond status for premium speed automatically without having to do the full Honors signin. Less of a pain at those locations.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I understood, but this is mainly for Hilton internet.

Do you still need to login to Hilton network for each device when you are connected to the Hilton network page?
No, you won't. Hilton only thinks it is one device
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Many properties have the option to set the number of days you want the internet for. Certainly not all but make sure you look for that option
Where is this magical option? I've never seen it at any US Hilton property, of any Hilton brand.
indufan likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
Where is this magical option? I've never seen it at any US Hilton property, of any Hilton brand.
This is my experience too. I've seen it with some other chains but never any of the Hilton hotels of any name.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
Boston broad street had it, as does Sydney AUS. Think I also had it recently at an HGI in Rochester.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A travel router will generally help only in that it means that you'll only need to login once every 24 hours, not once per device. In effect, one login logs the router itself in, and then all other devices behind it are also good to go.

The one exception is places that don't enforce login for wired connections. In that case you won't need to login at all. (I'm writing this from the HGI Mong Kok in HK, using at travel router connected to the in-room wired port - no need to login at all)

There are several threads on travel routers over on the Travel Tech forum.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
The standard AT&T system that most US and some international Hiltons use doesn't offer this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
This is the bane of my existence. With a. Roku, computer, and iPad it makes my life hell.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
This is the bane of my existence. With a. Roku, computer, and iPad it makes my life hell.
This is where a travel router really helps. You set your devices to access it and then once it's connected to the network they work seamlessly. I've found this helpful even when a property does not have login requirements since their WAP name is most likely different from one place to the next. I make a habit of cleaning out unneeded WAP names from time to time.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

So...
If I use a travel router and have wired connection. It is possible that I do not need to log into HH system for internet. But this setup is hard to find.
If I use a travel router, I will need to login to the HH system only once per 24 hours instead of each device.
Does anyone know the internet speed issue if I use my own rounter? Do I share one speed with all my devices? If that is the case, then travel router is not very useful
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
So... Does anyone know the internet speed issue if I use my own rounter? Do I share one speed with all my devices? If that is the case, then travel router is not very useful
If you use your own router, all of your devices share the one single "pipe" that the hotel gives your router. This almost always will be slower than if you connect each device to the hotel directly. Not ideal if you want to use multiple devices at once perhaps.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by lcohen999

Not really a hilton question so expect this to be moved somewhere else
I disagree with the first part of your assertion.

This is very apropos, and increasingly close to unique, to Hilton.

Hilton is the only chain that I have stayed with that requires daily signup for internet service. And, I have been sorely inconvenienced a number of times by this, when the subscription period timed out in the middle of something I was doing on-line. Time-sensitive emails that, unbeknownst to me, were not being transmitted. Losing all content that I had entered into a long online form that I was filling out. Etc.

Compared to Marriotts, where the initial subscription asks "How many days do you want to sign up for?", the Hilton approach is ludicrous. I have yet to stay at a Hilton property, of any brand line, that allowed a multi-day sign-up.

Ludicrous, too, are the near-dial-up wifi speeds when contrasted with the competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.