Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Feel free to not travel here if you do not like our cultural norms.
I am American and live here ....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by scottishscrooge
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but the topic is relevant to me. I've just booked a 3 night stay at Orland Bonnet Creek Hilton with full points (no cash) and in the confirmation email I'm being charge the resort fee. I assume the policy has now changed??
When I book an all points award stay I keep a copy of the rate description on the website that shows no resort fee. e.g. for Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek when you click on the "Standard Room Reward" link on the page of available rates it shows the "Total for stay" being just the points. No resort fee. If, on the other hand, you click on the link for a paid stay, e.g. "Flexible Rate", it adds in the resort fee. NOTE: You click on the rate description, not on the Select button for the corresponding rate.

You shouldn't have to pay the resort fee despite what the email confirmation says. I keep a copy of the "Total for stay" as described above so I know that the correct amount is. The rate description also generally shows the cancellation policy which seems to have disappeared from recent email confirmations.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Feb 14, 2019 at 6:33 pm Reason: add clarifications
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resort fees are waived on an all points stay. It is in the rules. If you pay for an upgrade it becomes a points and money stay and you will pay the resort fee.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Feel free to not travel here if you do not like our cultural norms.
Our “cultural norms” are stupid and need to evolve. Is that better?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was told the Midtown NYC Hilton is still charging to store bags. It's bad enough they won't give a diamond a check out at 3 but then to charge a resort fee and then a baggage storeage fee to hold bags until 3 is absurd.

And if Hyatt and Harrahs can waive the resort fee for their top tier why can't Hilton?
MoodyB, AceReport and markko like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Miesque
I just have to comment that this growing trend of Resort Fees which basically just cover the benefits that Gold/Diamonds should be receiving gratis anyway, is beyond insulting and something that needs to be addressed by the HHonors program, specifically that Gold/Diamonds should be exempt from the fees.
The fee really only gives you two bottles of water per day vs. per stay as diamond! Let them keep the extra water and let me keep the money ;-)

Early on, I used that logic to get the resort fee waived as a diamond. Hasn't worked for some time. Keep getting told they can't waive the fee.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I just booked a stay at the Santa Barbara HGI over the old Fess Parker, now called the Hilton Beachfront Resort. In addition to $21 for self park, they have tacked on a $30 resort fee. So that $329 room, yep with taxes, resort fees and parking that'll be $429. Just insane. The HGI is looking better and better. I also just made a dummy booking and that resort fee is not disclosed until you are about to click on buy, and even then it is just called "fee". Not the home screen and not during room selection Anyone who says this is not deceptive and that it is clearly displayed is delusional.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
Resort fees are waived on an all points stay. It is in the rules. If you pay for an upgrade it becomes a points and money stay and you will pay the resort fee.
FWIW I accepted an unsolicited offer to upgrade 2 standard award rooms to a 2 bedroom suite at the WA MCO last month, for a surcharge of $100 per night. No resort fee applied. In selling the upgrade to me the agent said that if it had been paid bookings I would have gone from 2 resort fees to i. YMMV.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:47 pm

Have any Diamonds had luck getting resort fees reversed when they check in? If parking is not a third party, I've been pretty successful getting that reversed by just asking, but not resort fees.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by divrdrew
The fee really only gives you two bottles of water per day vs. per stay as diamond! Let them keep the extra water and let me keep the money ;-)

Early on, I used that logic to get the resort fee waived as a diamond. Hasn't worked for some time. Keep getting told they can't waive the fee.
Who told you that they couldn't waive the fee? The Diamond Desk or the front desk?
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:53 am

The front desk. Never thought to call the Diamond desk to ask. Do you usually get the resort fee waived?
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:48 am

Take action against resort fees - Kill Resort Fees

It's a bad industry practice.

Charge the rate you need to, but bundle costs together.

The Airlines used to do this but were forced to stop. Only regulation, legislation, and customer involvement will end this ugly industry practice.
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, UA 1K, AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Cat88L3 - do i need to inquire at the front desk or the diamond desk to have the resort fees waived? I have an upcoming stay at the WA La Quinta - they charge $35/ day resort fee but then charge for tennis courts use on top of that!!! $28/hr. I cannot stand paying the $35 for nothing more than my Diamond benefits, then being nickel & dimed on the tennis courts!!! so thats$63 extra per day - we stay there to play tennis! their name is Resort & Club ... Club = Tennis Club but the resort fee doesnt cover it. We end up staying there several times per year & its an insult everytime!! Thanks for your help
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tinkerbell78
Cat88L3 - do i need to inquire at the front desk or the diamond desk to have the resort fees waived? I have an upcoming stay at the WA La Quinta - they charge $35/ day resort fee but then charge for tennis courts use on top of that!!! $28/hr. I cannot stand paying the $35 for nothing more than my Diamond benefits, then being nickel & dimed on the tennis courts!!! so thats$63 extra per day - we stay there to play tennis! their name is Resort & Club ... Club = Tennis Club but the resort fee doesnt cover it. We end up staying there several times per year & its an insult everytime!! Thanks for your help
why do you keep returning?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by tinkerbell78
Ummm...stay somewhere else If you continue to feel insulted?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.