Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Often1
If is naive to think that the fees really are apportioned to the items specified, e.g. WiFi, bottled water and clean towels or whatever. Those fees are part of revenue and that is the end of it.
well, apparently hotel management think their customers are naive enough that they will feel better about the resort fee if they list some items that are allegedly covered by the fee. That is insulting.

If the fees are disclosed ---- and they almost always are ---- and you choose to stay at a property, the fee is neither deceptive nor a ripoff nor anything other than room rent and nothing more.
it is absolutely deceptive because, as your next paragraph correctly states, they use it to make their prices look lower than they really are in searches.

Also, what is Hilton’s policy on resort fee charges earning points? Do they fall into the category of incidental charges that may or may not earn points based on the hotel’s whim? I have no experience with it since I avoid properties with resort fees.

Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:01 am
cjd

Originally Posted by EGSExec

Not to argue, but I just stayed at a HGVC last week, in Vegas, and had to pay the resort fee even though I used points for the stay. I asked about this and was told that “everyone pays.”

So, those were the most expensive bottles of waters ever.
Which HGVC in Vegas? Never seen or heard of resort fees being charged on Points only redemptions before. Have asked HonorsRepresentative as to whether this is correct.

Last edited by cjd; Mar 4, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by geekboy
I have specifically not paid a resort fee, even on paid and points&cash stays, at Orlando-area Hilton hotels. Specifically, the Orlando Hilton, Waldorf*Astoria Orlando (Bonnet Creek), Hilton Bonnet Creek, Hilton Lake Buena Vista, and Hilton Buena Vista Palace. I must say that I specifically asked that I was not going to be charged the resort fee as a diamond member on at least two of those visits. I only wished that they waived parking which is now ridiculous at those Disney-area Hilton properties. Between parking and a resort fee, you could be paying an additional $70/night for a room. Paying for parking at a resort, to me, seems inappropriate; it's yet another source of revenue for the resort. If parking fees are there to keep non-guests from using the parking lots, there are other ways to prevent the misuse of those parking lots. I was last at the Hilton Orlando for New Years eve/day celebrations.
Agreed. At $27/day for parking, they charge more than the theme parks. It is absolutely insane. Also, the property no longer has an Executive Lounge. While it is very nice there, there are way too many downsides for me to even consider staying there ever again.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Fees are here to stay and increasing. Just look at them as part of the quoted room rate and then make a decision as to whether you are willing to pay that amount or not.

If is naive to think that the fees really are apportioned to the items specified, e.g. WiFi, bottled water and clean towels or whatever. Those fees are part of revenue and that is the end of it.

If the fees are disclosed ---- and they almost always are ---- and you choose to stay at a property, the fee is neither deceptive nor a ripoff nor anything other than room rent and nothing more.

Why do properties do this? Because search engines sort by price (unless otherwise changed). Consumers, e.g., the people complaining here, trend to booking to properties closer to the top of the displayed list. So, a $400 room appears before a $450 room. But, add $70 to the $400 room and $0 to the $450 room and which one is cheaper?
Sadly it is only going to get worse. Heck Starwood is now tinkering with destination fees- resort fees by another name at an obvious not-a-resort property. I know the Department of Transportation killed proposals in December to make airline charges not-so-hidden in fine print. I doubt consumer protections for hotels will even be thought of for a while from a regulatory point of view. What will happen is everyone will have them everywhere and then one company will magically decide that they can brand themselves as "no resort fees" and drop them to win favor and business with the public. Then they will all go away in response. How long until that cycle completes I'm not sure.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:54 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

well, apparently hotel management think their customers are naive enough that they will feel better about the resort fee if they list some items that are allegedly covered by the fee. That is insulting.

it is absolutely deceptive because, as your next paragraph correctly states, they use it to make their prices look lower than they really are in searches.

Also, what is Hilton’s policy on resort fee charges earning points? Do they fall into the category of incidental charges that may or may not earn points based on the hotel’s whim? I have no experience with it since I avoid properties with resort fees.

no points for resort fees as it falls under "taxes".
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
Originally Posted by cjd
Which HGVC in Vegas? Never seen or heard of resort fees being charged on Points only redemptions before. Have asked HonorsRepresentative as to whether this is correct.
it was the one on the strip that’s under lobby renovation. Wasn’t impressed with anything at this location. Room had obviously been smoked in. Oh well.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope the regulators will step in and ban this deceptive practice. No other industry or field is allowed to promote one price and then charge a drastically different one.
I would love to see FT taking the lead in starting a petition to require hotels to post all in price (aside perhaps from taxes).
Sisosig likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RogerD408
That's where it is deceptive, when you sort rooms by cost, the "resort fee" should be included, plain and simple. Yes, those in the know will look for additional fees, but deliberately lowering your base room rate to get a better position in the list is an attempt to ripoff nieve customers. How much longer until the room rate is less than half the "resort fee"? Now if they would allow you to choose if you want those resort benefits and basically go a-la carte pricing, that will let them know what people are willing to pay to have available. Elevators are probably more desired than pools.
We're past that. Way past that.

The FTC could act. It has chosen not to. Congress could act. It has chosen not to. Any state legislature could act. None have. So, whether it is good or bad policy is irrelevant. It is here and it is legal and the people on FT are sophisticated travelers who are perfectly capable of making smart decisions. Now, they just have to.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by masamune
Agreed. At $27/day for parking, they charge more than the theme parks. It is absolutely insane. Also, the property no longer has an Executive Lounge. While it is very nice there, there are way too many downsides for me to even consider staying there ever again.
Wonderful property but the fees are just too high now. Plus they dumbed down the breakfast benefit for Gold/Diamond. It is a poor value in its current form.

Wait for the next economic downturn and hopefully they will make some reversals there.

There hasn't been a lounge there for quite a few years...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Wonderful property but the fees are just too high now. Plus they dumbed down the breakfast benefit for Gold/Diamond. It is a poor value in its current form.

Wait for the next economic downturn and hopefully they will make some reversals there.

There hasn't been a lounge there for quite a few years...
And hope that the next economic downturn does not leave you in the "down" part of the "turn"!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My suggestion is for cities to have a higher tax on resort/destination fees than on regular room sales.

Fuel surcharges are only popular on sutlrkines because they aren’t taxed like the base fare.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I hope the regulators will step in and ban this deceptive practice. No other industry or field is allowed to promote one price and then charge a drastically different one.
I would love to see FT taking the lead in starting a petition to require hotels to post all in price (aside perhaps from taxes).
Unfortunately, in America this deceptive pricing is everywhere. E.g. you go to a restaurant and order something which is written as $100 on the menu. Try putting a $100 bill on the table and leaving, I'm sure the manager will stop you (for not paying the taxes which aren't included in advertised price), and the waiter will stop you (for not paying customary tip), and if the waiter doesn't stop you, you will surely be ridiculed by your friends/date etc.

Americans are conditioned to pay drastically over the advertised price, when a $100 meal on the menu actually would end up costing you $130 or so.

And that conditioning of always paying more than the advertised price leads itself to being willing to put up with stupid fees everywhere.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:31 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Jumping in here, as I've been asked about resort fees on reward stays. If the reservation is 100% on Points, the resort fee/taxes are waived. If the stay is Points & Money, then the resort fee/applicable taxes are charged since there is a paid portion.

If there are specific instances of a stay you've had on all Points and you've incurred a resort fee, please PM me with the details, including your Hilton Honors account number and the reservation number/dates and location of stay.

Thanks!
Lauren
cjd, MSPeconomist, TSparky and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by jxd
no points for resort fees as it falls under "taxes".
Is this correct? Is it a way to avoid franchise fees?

Anyway, I would suggest to bring back the category "hotels that have chosen not to take part in this promotion" for hotels charging a resort fee. You elect to charge this bogus fee to our customers? Ok then we'll exempt your property from our quarterly bonus promotions!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:48 am
cjd

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Jumping in here, as I've been asked about resort fees on reward stays. If the reservation is 100% on Points, the resort fee/taxes are waived. If the stay is Points & Money, then the resort fee/applicable taxes are charged since there is a paid portion.

If there are specific instances of a stay you've had on all Points and you've incurred a resort fee, please PM me with the details, including your Hilton Honors account number and the reservation number/dates and location of stay.

Thanks!
Lauren
Lauren,
Thanks for confirming that Resort Fees/taxes should not be charged when the reservation is a 100% Points Award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.