Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

When did Hilton properties start denying upgrades in advance?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did Hilton properties start denying upgrades in advance?!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:55 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The Doubletree Prado Madrid has similar wording on the web site, though a bit less absolute:

”Please note this is a small boutique hotel and availability to upgrade our Gold and Diamond members is limited.”
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
If one wants any better room than an Exec (ie J/suite upwards, premium Sea Views), especially for ones special trips or during peak period, as always advice at all chains is book room you want as upgrade may not be available at checkin.

With the NOR1 online upgrade upsell option links rolled out so widely 3 or so years ago, so NOR1 optoions immediatedly on booking and open until 48hours out, the old days where my decent Hilton Hotel upgraded my room online 4-7days out has totally dissapeared. In fact I used to wait for upgrade from base->Exec room then apply for the online upsell to eg Jinior Suites etc.

These days I often don't see my upgrade at -24hours when online checkin opens, and not even 7-8am on day of arrival but only 1200noon onwards of checkin day. Whilst I don't blame hotels for trying to seell higher end rooms up until morning of my checkin day, even in low occpancy times I still don't see my modified upgrade anymore until day of checkin.

I really blame the rollout of NOR1, though some hotel using NOR1 still treat HHD/HHG elites not upselling (by NOR1) well others HH hotels don't and favour the extra evenue over upgrading elites they have never seen before and are unlikely to see again.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Not quite the same experience, however, at a Hilton in London recently I was told that no upgrades were available because the hotel was fully booked. I politely pointed out that I tried to book 5 club rooms on the app 5 minutes before and that they showed as available, at that point I was upgraded. (Diamond BTW).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 2005 on a reward stay ... back when 200K points got you a 5 night stay. We ran into a Hilton agent at the airport baggage claim who booked us into a corner room on the marina side of the tower on like the 22nd floor. An awesome upgrade and an awesome stay! It was nice checking in at the airport - no need to deal with the front desk crowds. All you need is to give them your name and may be a confo number.

The following week we spent at the Waikoloa Village on the big island - no upgrade for us there as Wells Fargo in their pre-2008 debauchery had booked nearly the entire property for their executives. Jimmy Buffet was on Ohau performing the week that we were there and wouldn't you know it ... he turned up at the Wailoloa Village the following week to give a private performance for the Wells Executives. It was a real Wolf of Wall Street moment.

But I digress, my how the times have changed. Good Luck getting some thing resembling an upgrade. Please share your experience. the Diamond Head corner rooms - ocean side are the most coveted. If you can land one of those consider yourself truly upgraded; be sure to request one when talking to the check in agent! Having said that the Marina side corner rooms are amazing too. They face west and you can watch the sun set from your room each night.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks, I will post an update on the room that I wind up getting.

By the way, I originally booked a standard room when I planned the trip several months ago. As is my practice, I checked availability just prior to the cancellation date and it was apparently soft, as I was able to book a partial ocean view room in the Ali’i Tower for the same price.

So we will see what happens next week.
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 2005 on a reward stay ... back when 200K points got you a 5 night stay. We ran into a Hilton agent at the airport baggage claim who booked us into a corner room on the marina side of the tower on like the 22nd floor. An awesome upgrade and an awesome stay! It was nice checking in at the airport - no need to deal with the front desk crowds. All you need is to give them your name and may be a confo number.

The following week we spent at the Waikoloa Village on the big island - no upgrade for us there as Wells Fargo in their pre-2008 debauchery had booked nearly the entire property for their executives. Jimmy Buffet was on Ohau performing the week that we were there and wouldn't you know it ... he turned up at the Wailoloa Village the following week to give a private performance for the Wells Executives. It was a real Wolf of Wall Street moment.

But I digress, my how the times have changed. Good Luck getting some thing resembling an upgrade. Please share your experience. the Diamond Head corner rooms - ocean side are the most coveted. If you can land one of those consider yourself truly upgraded; be sure to request one when talking to the check in agent! Having said that the Marina side corner rooms are amazing too. They face west and you can watch the sun set from your room each night.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I should have been more specific. The $20 per room per night was an open dining credit (certain exclusions applied e.g. not usable at Hatsuhana and some higher end options). Technically, as I could use the credit at Starbucks for coffee and a muffin, I suppose that counts as a continental breakfast.
I thought they were doing free continental breakfast for Gold/Diamond. At least that's what I remember from a few years back. Not talking about a $10 or $20 coupon. I agree that $20 does not adequately cover continental breakfast for 2 at most any Hilton, let alone HHV.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
I stayed at HHV a year or two ago and had this wording. I booked a jr suite and received no upgrade from that.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:21 pm

I stayed at HHV 3 times in 2017, had that wording on the reservation, and was upgraded all 3 times.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
No mention of an upgrade when we checked into the Ali’i Tower, so I asked, and after looking at her computer a couple of minutes, the desk clerk told us the only upgrade available had two double beds instead of the king bed I had in the room that I had E-checked into.

The Ali’i Tower is nice and my partial ocean view room is fine, but so far the only Diamond ‘benefit’ that I have been offered is $20/day food credit and a daily text from guest services making sure that I rate them a ‘10’!

BTW, Valet Parking is now a breath-taking $50/day!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:01 am

A lot of inventory in HHV is HGVC timeshares meaning no upgrades. I booked a 2br in the Lagoon tower and got exactly that, no recognition of Diamond status whatsoever and none should be expected at that property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.