Wiki Posts
Search

New search engine on iOS app ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond
New search engine on iOS app ?

Whilst playing around looking at prices for hotels this weekend I noticed there is a new type of search engine on the iOS app since Friday on my iPad ......... I feel it's not as straightforward as the old one as you have to put dates, discount codes etc in first or it takes a while, strangely my iPhone is still showing the old style hotel search?.....opinions?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

It is absolutely terrible. A jumble of useless info that reloads constantly, and often loads slowly. Now, instead of putting in all the search variables on one screen, it takes multiple refreshes to conduct a simple search. A waste of time.
chrism20 and tynmar like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrx
It is absolutely terrible. A jumble of useless info that reloads constantly, and often loads slowly. Now, instead of putting in all the search variables on one screen, it takes multiple refreshes to conduct a simple search. A waste of time.
thank you......thought it was just me but I really don't like it......just feels just awkward .
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:56 pm

It’s awful. I gave up and logged onto the desktop site on my iPad when making a booking earlier.

Hilton have managed to do the opposite of IHG - they destroyed the website rather than the app.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I am looking at the app on my iPad, and it seems to be the same presentation as before.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
I am looking at the app on my iPad, and it seems to be the same presentation as before.
Another update was sitting on my iPad last night and it’s gone back to what it was previously. No second update on the phone though and I’m still seeing the above on that
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree. The new interface is terrible. Every time you edit just one of the search criteria it refreshes the results. A single search for a given destination, set of dates, and number of guests is effectively three round trips to the server. It would be fine if each of the round trips were fast, but they are not.

You can make it slightly less terrible by choosing your dates first, then destination.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
I agree. The new interface is terrible. Every time you edit just one of the search criteria it refreshes the results. A single search for a given destination, set of dates, and number of guests is effectively three round trips to the server. It would be fine if each of the round trips were fast, but they are not.

You can make it slightly less terrible by choosing your dates first, then destination.
​​​​​​​yep, that's what I've been doing, dates first then destination......... and as you say, slightly less terrible.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Did they just fix it? The update was so horrible I deleted it and went looking for an iTunes backup of an old version. But while it was gone off my phone, I re-downloaded today and it has the old (better) interface again.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Did they just fix it? The update was so horrible I deleted it and went looking for an iTunes backup of an old version. But while it was gone off my phone, I re-downloaded today and it has the old (better) interface again.
I have the same interface I've had for a long time with them. Granted, I just downloaded an update 3 days ago, so maybe I missed all the fun.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Deleting and reinstalling worked for me as well.

Thanks for the tip 👍
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrism20

Deleting and reinstalling worked for me as well.

Thanks for the tip 👍
yep, worked for me too........cheers guys!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
The new interface is terrible.
Is it a new engine or a new interface? I didn't know they had differing engines for differing platforms. Or did the OP just misspeak?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Aarrrrrggg! It's back!

I broke my policy of never, never, never update apps if they work!

Now it's that same mess where you put in the city and it locks you out from continuing putting in dates or discounts or number of people until it finishes spitting out it's first batch of useless info.

Double-arg!

aint broke, don't fix!

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Apr 12, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.