Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Children not on reservation at Hiltons

Old Feb 15, 18, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Trying to undertand the rules and practical realities with young kids at Hiltons. 2&4 ur olds who for now prefer to only sleep in parents bed. Even a queen.

when reserving it often forces a 2nd room which I don't want. How can I get my single room (the lack of comfort is my issue. Other room would not be used anyway)

I recently stayed at an airport hilton and mistakenly forgot the kids in reservation. They did not care and all was fine. Is this a fluke?

Gold soon diamond
Old Feb 15, 18, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by seaskybound View Post
Trying to undertand the rules and practical realities with young kids at Hiltons. 2&4 ur olds who for now prefer to only sleep in parents bed. Even a queen.

when reserving it often forces a 2nd room which I don't want. How can I get my single room (the lack of comfort is my issue. Other room would not be used anyway)

I recently stayed at an airport hilton and mistakenly forgot the kids in reservation. They did not care and all was fine. Is this a fluke?

Gold soon diamond
Most of my Hilton stays are in Asia. Often if you put 3 people in a room, it will no longer let you book a normal room. Since my kid is only 5, I donít list them, or just leave my wife off the reservation, as a spouse is free.

No problems yet.
Old Feb 15, 18, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This will vary by location and even property.

In some locations, local fire codes may limit the number of people in a room of a given size. You may be turned away or required to pay for a second room at an exorbitant rack rate (if there is a room available). Quite common in many European cities.

In some locations, it is a matter of policy. That translates into discretion and the issue is a toss up.

The common theme is look at the booking rules for your room and make a determination. Sometimes a call during business hours might get you a properly-sized room at no (or little) extra cost.
Old Feb 15, 18, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
I have never listed my kid and it has not been an issue yet.
Old Feb 15, 18, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
In the middle of a European trip at the moment with 2 kids aged 4 and 7. Experiences so far : Zurich booked superior room for 2 adults 1 kid. At check in told max occupancy was 3, told off a little but upgraded for free to junior suite. Freiburg, Germany booked family room for 2 adults 1 kid (max allowed), no problem and given a double plus sofa bed. Strasbourg, France booked superior twin (max occupancy 2+1) given twin plus 1 extra bed in executive floor without problem. Tomorrow in stuttgart in a similar situation with 2+1 booked. As a gold (Also soon to be diamond) member we have always been ok with booking an extra kid in the room but always make sure either the booking is for 2+1 or that it explicitly stated 2 kids can stay in existing bedding. Often this requires booking not the cheapest room. I think existing bedding is the key (as many allow kids in this way but it doesn't show when adding them) but not to expect extra beds if the kids are not on the booking. I do feel now though with the kids at at 4 and 7 standard rooms are becoming too small for us.
Old Feb 16, 18, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by englisha View Post
In the middle of a European trip at the moment with 2 kids aged 4 and 7. Experiences so far : Zurich booked superior room for 2 adults 1 kid. At check in told max occupancy was 3, told off a little but upgraded for free to junior suite. Freiburg, Germany booked family room for 2 adults 1 kid (max allowed), no problem and given a double plus sofa bed. Strasbourg, France booked superior twin (max occupancy 2+1) given twin plus 1 extra bed in executive floor without problem. Tomorrow in stuttgart in a similar situation with 2+1 booked. As a gold (Also soon to be diamond) member we have always been ok with booking an extra kid in the room but always make sure either the booking is for 2+1 or that it explicitly stated 2 kids can stay in existing bedding. Often this requires booking not the cheapest room. I think existing bedding is the key (as many allow kids in this way but it doesn't show when adding them) but not to expect extra beds if the kids are not on the booking. I do feel now though with the kids at at 4 and 7 standard rooms are becoming too small for us.
Thank you for this input. So basically you have been booking rooms for 2+1 (which is beyond the most basic room, I guess) and been ok with getting your 2+2 in?
Old Feb 16, 18, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This will vary by location and even property.

In some locations, local fire codes may limit the number of people in a room of a given size. You may be turned away or required to pay for a second room at an exorbitant rack rate (if there is a room available). Quite common in many European cities.

In some locations, it is a matter of policy. That translates into discretion and the issue is a toss up.

The common theme is look at the booking rules for your room and make a determination. Sometimes a call during business hours might get you a properly-sized room at no (or little) extra cost.
Where does none see booking rules for a room?

Does this mean that the same room "could" be sold for different prices, but if 2+2 is allowed (at whatever price) then at least the issue of fire codes goes away?

Last edited by seaskybound; Feb 16, 18 at 5:17 am
Old Feb 16, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
The type of room we book depends on the information each hilton gives in the room description and/or family policy which often pops up when you add kids to the booking. The problem seems to be inconsistency throughout brands and countries. In the USA, we have never had a problem booking the kids in a standard room and this is usually clearly described on either the room description or in the family policy.. Outside the USA it really varies and sometimes I can't find a family policy or any info on kids in existing bedding/extra beds. In this case, we make sure at least one of the kids is included in the booking (in an extra bed) and then add that we will have an additional child in existing bedding in the notes. This has worked well for us without comment until just a few days ago in Zurich, when it was questioned and resolved by a free upgrade.

if in doubt you could always email the property in advance and ask if you are concerned.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: