Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Little inconveniences, unexpected compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Spent a Reward night at Hilton Garden Inn Missisauga Toronto Airport West last week. Checked in and went to room, waved the key and the lock beeped and the motor ran. Settled in, and decided to go look for dinner about 2 hours later. At that point we discovered that the lock or deadbolt did not engage within the doorframe.

Front Desk sent someone up within minutes and decided to move us to the room directly across the corridor. We had just one small bag and a laptop to move; took all of 10 minutes.

On my way out for dinner I stopped to thank the Front Desk for their response and recevievd profuse apologies and 10k points as compensation.

Now I certainly don't look gift points in the mouth, but it really seemed more than generous to be quite so proactive. The Front Desk did consider buying us dinner or breakfast, but we already had dinner plans, and breakfast was free as I'm Gold, so points it was.

My question then is, just how minor does a maintenance issue have to be for the Hotel to feel it necessary to offer compensation without any complaint being made by the customer.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had a DT situation where the lock died while I was getting ice! Maintenance managed a one-time force to get my stuff together; instead of points, they gave me an upgrade to a corner suite.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
I would not have expected any compensation other than a replacement room or to have it fixed. Last time a I had a door not locking I just gave up mentioning it to the front desk and worked out if I slammed the door hard enough it would engage the latch due to maintenance having put new foam around the door frames but not adjusting the door afterwards.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I would not have expected any compensation other than a replacement room or to have it fixed. Last time a I had a door not locking I just gave up mentioning it to the front desk and worked out if I slammed the door hard enough it would engage the latch due to maintenance having put new foam around the door frames but not adjusting the door afterwards.
Much my perspective...I did try a slam, despite it being one of my pet peeves in hotel....that people allow doors to slam shut instead of closing them...however the latch simply would not go into the door frame.

All ended well...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed on the weekend at a hotel where I found some rather undesirable items in the room under the sofa cushions, which I had taken off to check the sofa bed was in place. I did not make any complaint, I just handed it in because it wasn't nice. The FD clerk gave me a drink voucher which I thought was great. On Monday I awoke to find an email from the GM apologising and a very significant number of points were offered and a big upgrade on a future stay.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:53 pm

Stayed at the Logan Airport Hilton last fall. Sink in the bathroom would not drain. Maintenance came up within 20 minutes and spent about 45 minutes fixing it, as parts were needed. They offered us a free dinner. We had plans, then they offered free breakfast. We are Gold so we get that anyway, so they gave us 7,500 points.. A very fair thing to do and somewhat surprising.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:09 pm

Had a stay in a double tree a month back. Got upgraded to deluxe room being gold. Tap water was running yellow. Went to front desk as I was on the way to the gym. Manager immediately got the maintenance team to check and offered to move me to another room. I was lazy to move and said let's see how things go after gym. Half way in gym the manager came and said the problem was rectified and gave me a free buffet dinner at their restaurant. Strangely received some points as if I've paid for the meal (100+ points).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was at a Homewood Suites last week (Louisville East) and the TV channel guide was completely wrong, I guess the cable company changed the numbers, not sure, but the guide had no relation to the actual channels. I mentioned it to the hotel and I got 5,000 points. I didn’t ask nor expect miles, I just figured they should know.

Last edited by Pretzelsandpeanuts; Feb 14, 2018 at 5:45 pm Reason: Replace miles with points
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
That is a nice gesture from the hotel
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm staying at Hilton property in Saudi and if I mention anything to the staff it gets ignored. They get offended if you call front desk and ask for cleaning service once every 3 days. The staff in this hotel expect you to greet them, not the other way around. I'm only staying in this dump for 2 more weeks until my company rents nice apartment. It's 2 of us and we pay $900 a week per person. Nice furnished apartment runs for around $1000 a month.
If the hotel was nice we would have stay in it, but it's a total dump. Doesn't meet basic Hilton standards. If I brought up any of the problems with the room to the attention of the employees, they would probably stop cleaning my room twice a week. I'm not even gonna bother. Collecting the nights and points for Diamond status.
Stayed in hotels from other chains in this area but they have the same standard as this Hilton.
To the contrary of this hotel. Last year I've prepaid for early check in at Hilton Millennium Bangkok. We've arrived at the hotel around 9am, but our room wasn't ready. They were at 100% capacity. The front desk manager apologized, asked us to return in 1 hour and to enjoy the breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant by the lobby. I'm gold so no lounge access but she said to go ahead.
Instead, we went to the near by market to eat some street food, got back 45 minutes later and the manager took us to our corner suite on executive floor I usually pay up for the upgrades to the executive floor, but this time we've got free upgrade to a very nice suite.
This is one of the reasons why this Hilton Millennium in BKK is one of my favorite hotels in the chain. Always great service and delivered with smile.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I'm staying at Hilton property in Saudi and if I mention anything to the staff it gets ignored. They get offended if you call front desk and ask for cleaning service once every 3 days. The staff in this hotel expect you to greet them, not the other way around. I'm only staying in this dump for 2 more weeks until my company rents nice apartment. It's 2 of us and we pay $900 a week per person. Nice furnished apartment runs for around $1000 a month.
If the hotel was nice we would have stay in it, but it's a total dump. Doesn't meet basic Hilton standards. If I brought up any of the problems with the room to the attention of the employees, they would probably stop cleaning my room twice a week. I'm not even gonna bother. Collecting the nights and points for Diamond status.
Stayed in hotels from other chains in this area but they have the same standard as this Hilton.
To the contrary of this hotel. Last year I've prepaid for early check in at Hilton Millennium Bangkok. We've arrived at the hotel around 9am, but our room wasn't ready. They were at 100% capacity. The front desk manager apologized, asked us to return in 1 hour and to enjoy the breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant by the lobby. I'm gold so no lounge access but she said to go ahead.
Instead, we went to the near by market to eat some street food, got back 45 minutes later and the manager took us to our corner suite on executive floor I usually pay up for the upgrades to the executive floor, but this time we've got free upgrade to a very nice suite.
This is one of the reasons why this Hilton Millennium in BKK is one of my favorite hotels in the chain. Always great service and delivered with smile.
IMO, I will summit a formal complaint to Hilton honnors and to Hilton Corporations due to the lack of basic services, incompetent management and also contact your travel management team. (if I were you I will be asking for a minimum 150000 points plus an status upgrade to diamond)

Please don’t be silence be proactive and let the Hilton Corporation deal with this issue.

one finally things let’s us know the name of the property so all the travelers to Saudi Arabia avoid this property

hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
I I mentioned it to the hotel and I got 5,000 miles.
Do you get miles or points? Methinks miles are worth a good bit more than HH points these days....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles

Do you get miles or points? Methinks miles are worth a good bit more than HH points these days....
Sorry, points, not miles. I edited the post. Agreed, miles would be worth more than Hilton points

Last edited by Pretzelsandpeanuts; Feb 14, 2018 at 5:46 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RolfD

IMO, I will summit a formal complaint to Hilton honnors and to Hilton Corporations due to the lack of basic services, incompetent management and also contact your travel management team. (if I were you I will be asking for a minimum 150000 points plus an status upgrade to diamond)

Please don’t be silence be proactive and let the Hilton Corporation deal with this issue.

one finally things let’s us know the name of the property so all the travelers to Saudi Arabia avoid this property

I had to extend my stays for another week and after I leave from that hotel I will send letter to Hilton HQ. It's unbelievable.
I will also post here name of the property, but after I check out. I don't want to have any retaliation from the employees while I'm still guest in that hotel.
I'm suspecting that someone from that hotel is reading these forums. Since I last posted comments about their property. Every time they see me, they ask to fill up the survey forms. In the last 2 months, not even once I've been asked to do it. Now, every time I'm downstairs, they nicely ask for the survey.
There is another guy in my hotel from DC. He said that he moved from Radisson Blue. The reason? Dirty rooms, lack of maintenance and overpriced food. I've told him that at this hotel he's getting exactly the same as at Radisson
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I had to extend my stays for another week and after I leave from that hotel I will send letter to Hilton HQ. It's unbelievable.
I will also post here name of the property, but after I check out. I don't want to have any retaliation from the employees while I'm still guest in that hotel.
I'm suspecting that someone from that hotel is reading these forums. Since I last posted comments about their property. Every time they see me, they ask to fill up the survey forms. In the last 2 months, not even once I've been asked to do it. Now, every time I'm downstairs, they nicely ask for the survey.
There is another guy in my hotel from DC. He said that he moved from Radisson Blue. The reason? Dirty rooms, lack of maintenance and overpriced food. I've told him that at this hotel he's getting exactly the same as at Radisson
I hope you get a good compensation from the Hilton Corporation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.