Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Difference between Gold and Diamond" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Difference between Gold and Diamond" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by exmike
Agree with many above. If you are primarily North America diamond is minimally better than gold. Would not pay extra for it via card status.
I agree with this, although if the question pertains to whether to go for Ascend vs Aspire, then the primary benefit with Aspire (over Ascend) is the $250 resort credit and the automatic annual free night.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
Any hotel that checks a guests history before handing out upgrades will place certain diamonds above others. This has happened to me numerous times and is what I like about the program.
...and place certain golds over some diamonds as well. There are more variables to it for those who actually check, e.g. stay history, F/B spend, custom remarks.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Is it for sure that this occurs? That certain properties have a way of sorting out elite Diamonds from pseudo Diamonds (eg, status match, Aspire) and then treat them accordingly? Or is this a speculation?
how they access that information? Also if they access that information is Hilton Corporation breaching privacy laws in Europe, USA, Canada, e.t.c...?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee
Which is one of my lingering doubts about Aspire Diamond status - may not get you much in upgrades.
I've been either Diamond or Gold since 2002 or so. I detect no genuine difference at US properties. Overseas the main thing is lounge access and clear-path access to "preferred" rooms (which in some markets, like the UK, doesn't mean that much). You have to decide if overseas lounge access merits paying the premium for Aspire. For me, no.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
... I detect no genuine difference at US properties. Overseas the main thing is lounge access and clear-path access to "preferred" rooms (which in some markets, like the UK, doesn't mean that much)...
Even overseas the real difference is less than impressive. As a Gold, I got lounge access about 90% of the time in Asia, Europe, Africa, and almost 40% of the time in the US without executive room upgrade. For me the room upgrade itself is a 'nice' but near worthless benefit, unless I am on family vacation.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Being diamond in Asia has been great.. Treated very well some very nice lounges and ive always received upgrades to at least junior suite about 95%.. I wouldn't bother if i lived in the USA trying to get Diamond. Like other people have said on here Marriott/SPG or maybe Hyatt. Im Spire/Amb also and its completely useless. It used to be good here about 3 years ago now its crap..
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediator
Forget to add, diamonds get preferred parking at HGI or Hampton Inn in US.
At least one HGI comps me parking as a Diamond, never had it comped as a Gold.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediator
Forget to add, diamonds get preferred parking at HGI or Hampton Inn in US.
I saw one of those signs at a Hampton Inn in Jackson Hole and thought it was hilarious -- and stupid. Are they common?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:33 pm

I agree that in the US there isn't a significant difference between being Gold or Diamond. At hotels in other countries there might be significant differences, depending on hotel, booking situation and competence of staff.

Some things are just managed in a bad way. I.e. as a Diamond you get offered a Nor1 upgrade to the Executive version of the same room for money, even you get the additional benefits for free for sure anyway. Not to mention that you have to pay for the Executive services, if you book a room which includes the Executive services already. It would be easy to give a discount for DIA on Executive rates or upgrades. But they don't do that.

Maybe there is no manager at Hilton Honors who is responsible for DIA members. Maybe there is one, but he doesn't understand his business.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by iahphx
I saw one of those signs at a Hampton Inn in Jackson Hole and thought it was hilarious -- and stupid. Are they common?
They are increasingly common. They are ridiculous. And nobody's stopping non-Diamonds from parking in those spaces anyway.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, seen quite a few...Sometimes ridiculous measures are all it takes to appease our ego.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
Is it for sure that this occurs? That certain properties have a way of sorting out elite Diamonds from pseudo Diamonds (eg, status match, Aspire) and then treat them accordingly? Or is this a speculation?
I believe it is on a second screen that shows stay history so a newly minted diamond will stand out.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got at least three suite upgrades last year as a (status matched) Diamond - Hilton Frankfurt Airport, Hilton Reforma Mexico City, and HHV. Don't believe I ever got a suite upgrade in quite a few years as a Gold.

That said, I am with the consensus that marginal value Gold=>Diamond is not that high.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlugE
...and place certain golds over some diamonds as well. There are more variables to it for those who actually check, e.g. stay history, F/B spend, custom remarks.
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I believe it is on a second screen that shows stay history so a newly minted diamond will stand out.
Well, if that's what they do, then it sucks for me. I got my Diamond through status match and will maintain it with the credit card. Last year I spent something like 25 nights. Does that make me a loser Diamond in their eye? Is that the reason why I'm being denied upgrade or late checkout so often (including Asia)? Who knows? $450 card fee may not be a lot to some, but it's a lot to me. And more than half of all my hotel stays are at Hilton. So I'm loyal to Hilton, even if I only spent ~25 nights with them last year. It's just that I have a job with minimal work travel. But I've made decisions on how to spend my money based on the understanding that Diamond is Hilton's highest tier as advertised. So, while I would understand some Diamonds being treated better than others, it does irk me to hear that some Golds could be prioritized over me. Just my opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I got at least three suite upgrades last year as a (status matched) Diamond - Hilton Frankfurt Airport, Hilton Reforma Mexico City, and HHV. Don't believe I ever got a suite upgrade in quite a few years as a Gold.

That said, I am with the consensus that marginal value Gold=>Diamond is not that high.
My experiences are quite different from yours. I've been a status matched Diamond for almost 2 years, previously Gold a couple of years, Silver most other years. In my hundreds of stays over the past decade, I don't recall ever being upgraded to suites even once... except maybe a couple times at either HGI and/or Hampton Inn. At HHV, I seem to recall almost zero perks as a Diamond (think they just gave discount vouchers for two breakfast).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.