FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Take Diamond status extension, or try for challenge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1893090-take-diamond-status-extension-try-challenge.html)

kmandrew Feb 9, 2018 9:59 am

Diamond extension email

Received the email today reminding me my status will drop to Gold on April 1 unless I use my one time extension to keep Diamond status until 2019; probably do it - I have around 900k to burn might as well use them with status.

Maxwell Smart Feb 9, 2018 10:02 am

Take Diamond status extension, or try for challenge?

I did not requalify for Diamond for 2018, but did have enough stays to get Gold.

I just received an email offering me a 1-time diamond status extension to March 2019.

I'm debating if I should take it (must do so by March 28), or wait till April and call to see if they'll give me a diamond challenge (e.g., 10 stays in 90 days, etc.).

I'm sure I could meet the challenge to regain Diamond, but don't know if they'd automatically offer me one (I have done one before).

Nor do I know if this extension is a 1-time offer and might not be given the opportunity again (i.e., can I 'save' this for a future time when I might fall farther than just Gold).

So what would FTer's do? Nab the proverbial bird-in-hand and take the extension, or roll the dice?

pauleeepaul Feb 9, 2018 10:52 am

The Diamond extension is a one time thing. I don't have experiences with challenges.

Hawkeyefan Feb 9, 2018 1:01 pm

Diamond challenge is 8 stays in 90 days. I am doing one right now....

Seabilly Feb 9, 2018 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart (Post 29398443)

Nor do I know if this extension is a 1-time offer and might not be given the opportunity again (i.e., can I 'save' this for a future time when I might fall farther than just Gold).

So what would FTer's do? Nab the proverbial bird-in-hand and take the extension, or roll the dice?

This was one of the benefits put out in January 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...ors-perks.html) You can use it once, but it is a standing offer until you use it (or until they change it). I've decided to work on my Marriott Status first this year so if I run out of time to get Hilton Diamond, I'll take advantage of this for next year.

Hippster Feb 9, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm in the same boat :eek: After moving out west I'm much closer to my work area so less highway stays going to/from. I can either drop back to silver (ugh) or extend diamond another year. Diamond was actually handy last week in Phoenix where I used 48-hour guarantee twice to get a room. Unless my region changes I'm not sure I'd ever get Diamond again the normal way. Part of me says to hold onto it for later, assuming I'd ever be Diamond again to be able to use it a following year, while part of me says to use it now while I know it's available and hasn't been discontinued as a benefit. Decisions...

arlflyer Feb 9, 2018 7:09 pm

Same deal here. I'm leaning towards extending Diamond because: 1) I'm probably going to be mostly SPG/Marriott from here on out so this is my transition year, 2) if I end up doing tons of stays at Hilton in outyears I can get the Diamond-granting CC to plug the gap, and 3) I figure they'll probably retract this benefit soon so I might as well use it.

truptravels Feb 9, 2018 9:44 pm

I emailed Hilton in mid Jan asking how i could obtain diamond status in 2018 as i was a few nights short. They emailed me back saying they wont have opportunities until after Jan 31st. I said OK but i am planning on booking hotels for April and would like to know if i will be able to be Diamond or not. They responded " We are happy to make a one-time exception and have extended your Diamond tier through March 31, 2020. " Yes, 2020. saving this email in the file as i am sure it wont be automatic next year as it was probably a typo. Also not sure if this uses my one time extension or if this was separate...

FFlash Feb 10, 2018 12:39 am

Statusmatch was previously a one-time only, but can I do as many challenges as possible? I did one in the past but I would like to renew challenge as I lost Diamond by only few stays short

craigthemif Feb 10, 2018 2:55 am

Take the extension.

No guarantees that you'll get the challenge, which means that you'll have to re-qualify for Diamond "the hard way" before being able to use the extension in the future.

bworrell Feb 10, 2018 4:36 pm

I received this email but should have stayed diamond because of credit card spend. I guess I'll email them... hope it was a mistake.

englisha Feb 12, 2018 10:17 am

I've been Hhonors gold for the last 3 years and emailed about a challenge to Diamond (without any other hotel chain to match). I was offered 21 nights in 90 days to reach Diamond which I accepted due to having 19 nights planned anyway. Not the most generous challenge out there but might be worth any golds out there in a similar situation requesting.

Maxwell Smart Mar 2, 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29400836)
Take the extension.

No guarantees that you'll get the challenge, which means that you'll have to re-qualify for Diamond "the hard way" before being able to use the extension in the future.

Does that mean the extension is a true 'extension' only, meaning you you can only use it for the year after being a Diamond, correct? So for example, if I stay at Gold for all of 2018 I can't use the extension option to be Diamond in 2019?

Since I'm 'only' falling to Gold, I'm leaning toward trying for a Diamond challenge, and will save the extension for a future time when I fall from Diamond to Silver.

craigthemif Mar 2, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart (Post 29478224)
Does that mean the extension is a true 'extension' only, meaning you you can only use it for the year after being a Diamond, correct? So for example, if I stay at Gold for all of 2018 I can't use the extension option to be Diamond in 2019?

Since I'm 'only' falling to Gold, I'm leaning toward trying for a Diamond challenge, and will save the extension for a future time when I fall from Diamond to Silver.

Yes, you must be Diamond in order to request an extension.

Personally, I don't see enough of a difference between Gold and Diamond to either do the extension or waste a challenge. Unless you really need guaranteed lounge access, you shouldn't notice much of a difference in upgrades, etc.

arlflyer Mar 2, 2018 4:50 pm

I ended up taking my extension offer. I figured I may as well use this benefit before they retract it.