Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Take Diamond status extension, or try for challenge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Diamond status extension, or try for challenge?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes, you must be Diamond in order to request an extension.

Personally, I don't see enough of a difference between Gold and Diamond to either do the extension or waste a challenge. Unless you really need guaranteed lounge access, you shouldn't notice much of a difference in upgrades, etc.
After lounge access, other difference is breakfast benefit at many properties. From that perspective, unless you are planning on some extended stays at higher end properties, who heavily favor diamonds over golds at breakfast, I would not invest any $$ or points to make Diamond.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
After lounge access, other difference is breakfast benefit at many properties. From that perspective, unless you are planning on some extended stays at higher end properties, who heavily favor diamonds over golds at breakfast, I would not invest any $$ or points to make Diamond.
Since when do Golds not get breakfast at Hilton Honors hotels? I've never heard of a hotel that denied breakfast to Golds, or offered them a worse breakfast...
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I thought that Diamonds get "better" breakfasts at Hilton properties?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Maybe at a few properties, but it is not a stated benefit for a diamond to receive a better breakfast than a gold.

Gold:
  • 1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay or a daily complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel's designated restaurant for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay7
Diamond:
  • 1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points per stay
  • A daily continental breakfast in the hotel's designated restaurant for you and up to one guest registered to the same room each day of your stay7
7Daily complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. Breakfast is only served in the hotel's designated restaurant or Executive Floor Lounge. In limited hotels, the hotel may provide you with full breakfast or in-room service.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:39 am

Here is my situation. I had a status match for 2017 to end in 2018.
I stayed in Hilton hotels for only 2 nights in 2017.
Now when I see my account it says as below.

ELITE STATUS PROGRESS

0 Stays 0 Nights 0 Base Points
To maintain Diamond status in 2019, you need 60 more nights.

Does it mean that I auto qualified for diamond status for another year?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
If your staying on an award night, can you get the 1,000 bonus points per stay?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It depends. Some properties relegate Golds to the lounge, while Diamonds are allowed to take breakfast in the lounge and/or restaurant. As to the quality differential it really depends on the hotel. When I was at the Hilton Milano Stucky, the exec lounge brekkie was a joke. Might as well been a Hampton Inn that diced up the prefolded omelettes into scrambled eggs. The restaurant on the other hand was an awesome spread. Other hotels the difference between the lounge and restaurant is limited. One hotel I actually prefer the lounge brekkie is the Hilton Tokyo because they have free pour mimosas up there, and an egg chef. Plus it's way less crowded than the restaurant.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by flyer31
Here is my situation. I had a status match for 2017 to end in 2018.
I stayed in Hilton hotels for only 2 nights in 2017. Now when I see my account it says as below.

ELITE STATUS PROGRESS

0 Stays 0 Nights 0 Base Points
To maintain Diamond status in 2019, you need 60 more nights.

Does it mean that I auto qualified for diamond status for another year?
Hilton status expires on March 31, so you'll have to wait and see.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: HH D
If your staying on an award night, can you get the 1,000 bonus points per stay?
An award night should get you the same benefits as on a paid night. But if you are on a Diamond challenge, you'll have to complete it first to get the benefits associated with a Diamond membership.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Has anyone gotten a challenge or other path to bumping up this year?

I believe I literally missed Diamond by one stay (due to a misunderstanding - I specifically made sure I got in a stay at the Hilton Barcelona on Dec 31, making the end-of-year... and then being told that the check OUT date is what qualifies. Arg.

I'd really hate to waste the one-time extension on one short stay! I contacted Hilton through the online chat, but they apparently aren't empowered to make those calls or look up things like that. I'll call D-desk and ask what options are available along the spectrum of "begging for mercy" to "doing a stay challenge" and such.

I guess worse comes to worse, there's always the Aspire card. I was planning on getting that next year, as I'd just gotten the Ascend and I don't want to be juggling four Amexes this year.

So... anyone know what the challenges usually look like, or how that whole thing works?

Danke,

TDM
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: LH SEN LT , Hilton
Dropped to Gold this year & received the offer of extension.
A big thank you for Lauren for taking the time to confirm the T&C of the extension which I will take advantage of this year. Even if I do not hit Diamond again
( looking unlikely) at least have the benefit of 50% extra base points & benefits for another year ( points in case upgrade to Pres suite on last stay 2 wks ago !)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Has anyone gotten a challenge or other path to bumping up this year?

I believe I literally missed Diamond by one stay (due to a misunderstanding - I specifically made sure I got in a stay at the Hilton Barcelona on Dec 31, making the end-of-year... and then being told that the check OUT date is what qualifies. Arg.

I'd really hate to waste the one-time extension on one short stay! I contacted Hilton through the online chat, but they apparently aren't empowered to make those calls or look up things like that. I'll call D-desk and ask what options are available along the spectrum of "begging for mercy" to "doing a stay challenge" and such.

I guess worse comes to worse, there's always the Aspire card. I was planning on getting that next year, as I'd just gotten the Ascend and I don't want to be juggling four Amexes this year.

So... anyone know what the challenges usually look like, or how that whole thing works?

Danke,

TDM
To follow up--
I called HHonors in early April after officially dropping from Diamond to Gold. Was given a challenge of 10 stays by June 30 to regain Diamond. At first they did not offer me a challenge because they told me I'd only been Diamond for 1 year, but upon further review they saw that I'd been a Diamond for several years, so they gave me the challenge. So I was able to save the 1-time extension for a future time.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
To follow up--
I called HHonors in early April after officially dropping from Diamond to Gold. Was given a challenge of 10 stays by June 30 to regain Diamond. At first they did not offer me a challenge because they told me I'd only been Diamond for 1 year, but upon further review they saw that I'd been a Diamond for several years, so they gave me the challenge. So I was able to save the 1-time extension for a future time.
anyone has any idea if this is the norm or exception ?

I'm in the same boat now that we're 2 weeks away from 2023. Only had a few nights in 2022, with no rollover nights from 2021.

Was searching how to use the one-time Diamond extension and when it should be applied ie before 2023 or after my status has dropped. Been Diamond for 5+ years through stays.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by wantan

I'm in the same boat now that we're 2 weeks away from 2023. Only had a few nights in 2022, with no rollover nights from 2021.

Was searching how to use the one-time Diamond extension and when it should be applied ie before 2023 or after my status has dropped. Been Diamond for 5+ years through stays.
Getting the HH Aspire AMEX gives you instant Diamond status. There is a $450 annual fee that might be cheaper than trying to do a challenge depending on room prices and if you have any travel coming up.
SPN Lifer and DiverDave like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wantan

If you have 250+ nights and 3+ years of Diamond, you can apply for the extension in MARCH 2023. (not after your status has dropped)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.