Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Just one credit and points for staying at 2 hotels in one night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Going through my account I noticed that I was only credited once last September when I stayed at two hotels the same night. One was by the airport where we were connecting and the second one was at the final destination. Never paid any attention to it and not a big deal but I called and was told I cannot be at two places at once. With early check in and late check out I can make use of two rooms. The agent said that is their policy. Next time I will make one or maybe both stays at a different brand so it does not happen again.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This is usually how it works, best to book the 2nd stay with a different program.
Multiple hotels on the same night - which one gets credited?
Overlapping Stays and Stay Credit?
Can I book at two Hiltons in different states at the same time?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:55 pm

I booked a room in a town for my family but at the last minute I needed to be in another town 2 hours away for a meeting thus booked another room there. My wife checked in first in town A, while I headed to town B to check in. Ended up the meeting finished earlier than expected so I checked out from town B and head back to town A to sleep overnight.
​​​​​​Got points/stays for both bookings. I don't know if it's just luck or because I actually checked out before midnight.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
It has been years (Maybe 11) but my wife and i had a joint account (from way back in the day).

I recall it was always a hassle, but we would get points (i don't remember about nights / Stays) when we were in separate cities.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by copaflyer
Going through my account I noticed that I was only credited once last September when I stayed at two hotels the same night. One was by the airport where we were connecting and the second one was at the final destination. Never paid any attention to it and not a big deal but I called and was told I cannot be at two places at once. With early check in and late check out I can make use of two rooms. The agent said that is their policy. Next time I will make one or maybe both stays at a different brand so it does not happen again.
I would escalate it, since you weren't in two places at the same time, just moved between hotels and I assume there must have been some time difference between two places?
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I would escalate it, since you weren't in two places at the same time, just moved between hotels and I assume there must have been some time difference between two places?
Same time zone but not worth the hassle other then the first phone call. Going forward I will use different hotel companies.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
What is there to escalate when they are following policy?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
It has been years (Maybe 11) but my wife and i had a joint account (from way back in the day).

I recall it was always a hassle, but we would get points (i don't remember about nights / Stays) when we were in separate cities.
We use our Mutual Fund Account for two stays on the same night fairly often, and a call to the DD is still necessary each time to get both stays posted properly. Holding that type of account is the only T&C-permissible method.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've come up against an unexpected application of Hilton's apparent one hotel per night policy.

I spend my weeknights at a hotel near a client about 30min train away from Central London. Last week I checked into my usual hotel for 3 nights and went down to London for a business dinner. Dinner lasted longer than planned, and I had a meeting in London the next morning, so I decided to stay overnight at the London Euston Hilton instead of commuting back up.

I've received a night's credit and a small number of points for my one night at the London Hilton, but points were blanked out for the longer stay in my usual hotel. When I queried this with Hilton, they said that because I received the Euston credits all my nights and spend for the week are void. In effect, staying at a Hilton overnight in London as opposed to a random non-chain hotel has cost me around 15,000 points and 2 nights credit (or 20,000 points and 3 nights credit vs. SPG policy), which seems unreasonably customer unfriendly to me and also very counter-productive.

Presumably the policy is that one can't earn points from being in more than one hotel at a time, but does anyone know if it's worthwhile asking for my stays to be swapped over? If not, I hope this is a warning to people to make sure to avoid Hiltons for these kinds of stays, as it is significantly more attractive to go with any other chain, or indeed a random hotel that doesn't earn any points.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Presumably the policy is that one can't earn points from being in more than one hotel at a time, but does anyone know if it's worthwhile asking for my stays to be swapped over? If not, I hope this is a warning to people to make sure to avoid Hiltons for these kinds of stays, as it is significantly more attractive to go with any other chain, or indeed a random hotel that doesn't earn any points.
I'd ask as 3 nights vs 1 does seem like a good reason to at least bring it up.

I had a scenario a few years ago where I was moving halfway across the country but was slowed up and there was no way I was going to make a reserved stay on points. I called to cancel but they said it was a 30 day cancellation policy- Albuquerque during Balloon Fest of which I had no idea or cares about- and refused to cancel. The only time as a Diamond I was ever told no to a late cancel with a reasonable excuse. I told them to resell the room if they were in such high demand and cancel mine then if possible. It was 30k points in the end so I thought nothing of it and chalked it up to a loss. I ended up in a somewhat pricey Hampton Inn somewhere else. A week later when everything posted I saw zero credit for the Hampton Inn. Turns out the original hotel had checked me in and because I was in 2 places that night... nada, zip, zilch for points on the room I actually paid cash on. :/ Calling original hotel to complain did nothing since as near as they could tell I was actually there they said. Diamond desk was sympathetic but they quoted the rule book.

Long story short... I learned my lesson with that and will never have a double night like that and will change brands for the second if I ever find myself in that situation again!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, it's best not to use the same chain when doing something like this. I find CSRs will go for an answer that means they don't have to do any work and if they can convince the customer, why not? And the point about them choosing the lowest payout (credit the short stay and not the longer) seems to happen more than not. Personally, if it was me, I would push the issue and escalate. It's quite common for someone on a longish stay to break up the trip and stay elsewhere for one or two nights while keeping the original room. Yes, the T&Cs say only one hotel a night, but that's more to prevent fraud where someone is putting up family/friends/victims at different locations under a single account. The loyalty program is for the member, not everyone/anyone they may know. I'm sure if you get past the "find a way to say no" CSRs they will work with you.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:13 am

Don't Be So Sure

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, it's best not to use the same chain when doing something like this. I find CSRs will go for an answer that means they don't have to do any work and if they can convince the customer, why not? And the point about them choosing the lowest payout (credit the short stay and not the longer) seems to happen more than not. Personally, if it was me, I would push the issue and escalate. It's quite common for someone on a longish stay to break up the trip and stay elsewhere for one or two nights while keeping the original room. Yes, the T&Cs say only one hotel a night, but that's more to prevent fraud where someone is putting up family/friends/victims at different locations under a single account. The loyalty program is for the member, not everyone/anyone they may know. I'm sure if you get past the "find a way to say no" CSRs they will work with you.
Among the very first things Honors reps (orCSR's, if you prefer) are taught is that in order for a stay to earn credit, 'The member's head has to be on the bed'. That's the memory aid used to drill in that - while an Honors member can get point credit for two rooms at the same property on one night - they can not get any credit for one of two rooms, if they are at separate properties on one night.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Among the very first things Honors reps (orCSR's, if you prefer) are taught is that in order for a stay to earn credit, 'The member's head has to be on the bed'. That's the memory aid used to drill in that - while an Honors member can get point credit for two rooms at the same property on one night - they can not get any credit for one of two rooms, if they are at separate properties on one night.
EXCEPT: When those rooms are across the international date line... And if there are other extenuating circumstances considered acceptable by the CSR. Yes, there are basic rules, but the reason we have people working these jobs to to listen to the customer, consider the situation, and determine what is the right thing to do. Just wish more would look at how to say yes than fight with ways to say no.

Many corner cases exist than they will ever be able to address in any T&Cs.

Last edited by RogerD408; Mar 31, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
while an Honors member can get point credit for two rooms at the same property on one night - they can not get any credit for one of two rooms, if they are at separate properties on one night.
This is incorrect. Many of us with Mutual Fund Accounts do so frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.