Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Never get room preferences although I知 diamond

Never get room preferences although I知 diamond

Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by evergrn
OLCI thing is interesting. I've been burned for using it (told they can't upgrade me cuz I already OLCI'd) and I've been burned for not using it (was preassigned a 1-category upgrade on Hilton App, did not OLCI, then showed up to be told no more upgrade). What you say above must be specific to that hotel, because OLCI for me shows room options on higher floors all the time. I've also been upgraded upon arrival at certain properties even though I'd already OLCI'd. So I don't know what to do anymore these days.

Going back to the original topic, I would say this just depends on the property, perhaps even depends on the particular staff you interact with. As a Diamond, the % of my US/Canada stays over the past year where I got upgraded was probably <50%. Last week I arrived right at check-in time and was given a lower-floor with connecting room (no upgrade), even though I requested higher-floor, no connecting room. I know that property well... they do have base-category rooms with no connecting rooms there.
I'm not quite sure what to make of OLCI either. When I have used it, I've had times when I've been able to select a decent room that meets all my preferences and times when I haven't been able to select a room at all. I've never received an upgrade through when using OLCI so for that reason alone, I skip it and just wait until I get to the hotel. All of my bookings are last minute, rarely more than 48h out, and 9/10 times, I get mid-high floor away from elevator.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by timfountain
1. 3-4 weeks out is usual, never less that a week.
2. Concur rate (have to use it). I don't rely on a freebie upgrade. I book the room I want, but even then I am not getting what I booked, such as a king suite, high floor, not near elevator. It's very frustrating. Either concur is not communicating the room preference in a way Hilton understands, or maybe Concur is "re-faring me". I should try to book direct, it's normally the same price give or take a few $ and just deal with the exception....
Concur often breaks. We have to use Concur at work, but I usually book the rest of my trip in Concur and then book my hotel through the Hilton web site or app directly. Avoids these problems, and work stopped grumbling after I showed them I get better rates than what I was offered through Concur.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I'm not quite sure what to make of OLCI either. When I have used it, I've had times when I've been able to select a decent room that meets all my preferences and times when I haven't been able to select a room at all. I've never received an upgrade through when using OLCI so for that reason alone, I skip it and just wait until I get to the hotel. All of my bookings are last minute, rarely more than 48h out, and 9/10 times, I get mid-high floor away from elevator.
Good point; OLCI and free upgrades are apparently incompatible.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I use it at a couple of hotels where either I don't ever get upgraded, so may as well lock in a location, or one where if I do score an upgrade it's because the front end manager offers for my being a regular guest. Once, at the SEA Hilton, I was assigned a different room, being told "That one's not ready" after asking. ​​​​
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:00 pm

My preferences (high floor, away from the elevator) also generate that ground-floor ADA room about 80 percent of the time. I have called the Diamond desk and written emails. (The low hanging clothes rods and positioned-low shower apparatus are a bummer for people who are 1.94m.) All of my rooms are booked directly with the Hilton website, almost without exception 8 to 45 weeks in advance. I have added comments specifying the already recorded preferences, but it makes no difference. That said, some hotels seem to get it right, especially places where I stay often. Maybe I get flagged somehow.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
When you say you requested no connecting room, is that a Hilton option in itself, or do you put it in the printed remarks box?
​​​​​​
Type it into the comment/request box. Maybe some hotels don't even read this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.