Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:39 am

In my experience, most US properties will grant at least a 1-hour extension.

Doubletree Victoria flat-out refused any extension (I may have been gold instead of diamond then) with reason being that they were sold out that night even though I knew that was a lie. Doubletree Torrance gave me 2pm check-out even though they were just about sold out that night.

Conrad Tokyo has a policy saying you can hang out in EL for up to 30min after check-out. And they only gave me 30min check-out extension last time. Conrad HKG has been much more generous.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Hippster
I wonder though then can't they just take my room out of inventory for the next night then?
Where I used to work, the housekeeping union contract forbade that practice. If we wanted to do that, we needed approval from the union and they required 24-hour notice. Thus, we only took rooms "offline" during renovations or the weeks around Christmas when we struggled to reach 50% occupancy.

I'm not saying that's a universal thing. In fact, I'm guessing it's not very common. But, it's example of how there are often multiple things happening behind the scenes that can sometimes limit hotel staff from doing something the seems like common sense from the guest perspective.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txviking
A guaranteed 4PM checkout benefit is the single biggest thing Hilton could add to guarantee my continued loyalty.
@HonorsRepresentative

This is a very in demand perk request from loyal members. Something that Marriot/SPC & Hyatt already have. It is something that is worth changing loyalty for.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not familiar with Marriot, Starwood, Hyatt but do they offer this even at the low-end brands?

From the hotels I'm familiar with, they would struggle so much with a 4PM checkout, especially as many have a 2PM checkin.

Only in big cities do I find 4PM checkin.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by hugolover
I am not familiar with Marriot, Starwood, Hyatt but do they offer this even at the low-end brands?

From the hotels I'm familiar with, they would struggle so much with a 4PM checkout, especially as many have a 2PM checkin.

Only in big cities do I find 4PM checkin.
Yes at all brands with Marriott.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyou10
@HonorsRepresentative

This is a very in demand perk request from loyal members. Something that Marriot/SPC & Hyatt already have. It is something that is worth changing loyalty for.
Hilton would have to stop swelling the ranks, and that’s something they continue to do.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club
At Hilton Sydney this week, felt like I had to beg to get a noon check out, only a one hour extension over the 11 a standard. Quite hesitant to give me anything, until I asked them if they couldn’t do a diamond a small favor.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As others say it's hit or miss. I've had some hotels give me no push back with 2 PM and others fight tooth and nail to try and keep me from getting 12:30 PM. If I really need a late checkout I book away from Hilton.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by flyou10
Guaranteed late checkout is the number one reason I challenged for SPG Plat last year, but there's no way HH will offer to Diamonds when they pretty much give away the status for free.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Agree with all the comments here. I don't usually need a late checkout but when I ask at Hiltons I have to negotiate to get anything at all. I stayed at Hiltons 53 nights last year and it is not fun to fight for this benefit on the 3 or 4 times each year when I travel with my kids to tournaments and we would like to get back to the room for a shower on the last day before heading home.

I have been highest tier at Hyatt for 15 years and they offer 4p checkout at every property except resorts which are based on availability (but very reasonable in my experience). I've never had a problem with this benefit at a Hyatt.

This year I am moving my second program away from Hilton, and the difficulty with late checkout is a large part of the reason.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club

I find the late check out issue as a Hilton Diamond annoying. A few days ago I stayed at the Marriott Moxy London Stratford and the Marriott app offered me 4pm late checkout as a Gold member !

Then the next day I was staying at Hilton Bankside as a Diamond. There was great hesitation to offer me any sort of late checkout (but I overheard people when waiting to check in who were registering as entry level Members and the agent offered them late check out even though they booked with booking.com). I eventually after a fight was offered “no later than 2” as we’re fully booked (they were not as i checked the app and available in all room categories). It doesn’t make sense for Marriot to offer 4pm to Golds and yet the Hilton Diamond offering is so poor. To be honest because of this issue I find myself staying with Marriot more as they seem to value elite members more.

Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As far as late checkout goes, staying at Marriott/Starwood is like seeing The Wizard of Oz going into Technicolor. One clerk at a Residence Inn, I think it was, announced "Of course, it's one of your benefits!" regarding 4:00 checkout. At a Hilton property the entire staff would burst out laughing at the idea.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As far as late checkout goes, staying at Marriott/Starwood is like seeing The Wizard of Oz going into Technicolor. One clerk at a Residence Inn, I think it was, announced "Of course, it's one of your benefits!" regarding 4:00 checkout. At a Hilton property the entire staff would burst out laughing at the idea.
SPG is great. I have kettle status at SPG but thanks to the Dleta crossover program I get a 4 p.m. check out and whenever I stay at a W or SPG they almost always offer me the 4 p.m. check out immediately without asking. Same with Hyatt as a diamond, they normally offer the 4 p.m. check out right away.

If I know I want a 4 p.m. checkout I will stay at Hyatt or SPG instead of Hilton if they have a property in the location I am in.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

If I know I want a 4 p.m. checkout I will stay at Hyatt or SPG instead of Hilton if they have a property in the location I am in.
Exactly this. Whenever I have a late flight the lack of a guaranteed late checkout virtually precludes Hilton from consideration. With SPG (or MR) I know that 4pm is a given and I might also be allowed to linger in the lounge after the checkout time while I wait for the trip to the airport.

I'm not really that enthused by MR and if Hilton gave proper guaranteed late checkout to their top tier I think it could easily be my #1 choice once SPG finally bites the dust (sob! sob!)
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You provided a wonderful simile. I just emphasized it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.