Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Given WA requires tons of points for redemption bookings, I have another quick question popped up in my mind.

"How much price do you need to pay per a point?"

I think there would be a separate thread but I couldn't find it. But in Korea (not North for sure! ) I can buy it 3.6-4.0 cents (depending on FX) per point from other Hilton members.
So for a 7-night stay at WA next year, compared to Conrad, the premium is about US$560 for the entire stay or US$80/night. (WA BV vs Conrad OWV).
And now WA offers 'downgrading' BV to RV/OWV... so US$80/night premium is well offset by that I don't need to pay US$200/night extra.

I have been seriously considering a switch back to Conrad w/ SWV which offers wonderful marine life and decent sunset view.... but given the reduced premium I need to pay and my desire to enjoy a new property, I think I would stick to my current booking at WA.

Well I am still concerned about limited (likely) marine life at WA but hopefully paid tours would provide much nicer conditions!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Well I am still concerned about limited (likely) marine life at WA but hopefully paid tours would provide much nicer conditions!
Perhaps someone who has been to both can comment. But I can tell you there is great fish life (on the outside) of the WA. We dove off our suite (303) all four days. Lots of fish life and some decent Coral growth. If you don’t mind paying for a tour they will take you to even better fish/coral life.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Perhaps someone who has been to both can comment. But I can tell you there is great fish life (on the outside) of the WA. We dove off our suite (303) all four days. Lots of fish life and some decent Coral growth. If you don’t mind paying for a tour they will take you to even better fish/coral life.

TD
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks TD!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:52 pm

Park Hyatt

Waldorf Astoria

Did anyone who stayed at WA find lagoon to be disappointing for the Maldives. (Especially considering this is 1000$ a night). From pictures I have seen, it looks "meh" like something I could find in the Caribbean (which is much close to where I live). Like, the Park Hyatt makes me go "wow" in pictures while the WA is like "eh".
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
Did anyone who stayed at WA find lagoon to be disappointing for the Maldives.
+1

I have no Maldives comparison, but I was thinking there would be more. I guess I was thinking we would be snorkeling in the “protected” lagoon. Not that there was massive traffic, but with jets-skies, day boat tours, sail boats, banana boats, etc all coming out of the water sports area I never would have snorkeled in there. Very not-protected. The little diving down I did on the sea-bob all I saw was sand and the rare fish swim by. We did see fish and rays from the bridges from time to time in the lagoon.

TD
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Bloody hell.
$80 for an imitation of what Nandos sells (for one person) at $9.25
I thought the markup on the wine was bad...
Yup, it's IthaaMarkupFushi.....

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:33 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I've been following this thread with interest for a while now, and I'm just really struggling to see what the value proposition is for this property over the Conrad (or some others in the Maldives). What is it about this place that makes it worth all of the extra money?
This property is the pinnacle of the Hilton hotel and resort porftolio. Add the ability to redeem nights with standard* (if 120K is considered that) award points where you good value for your points, that's why many people are interested. Now once you book with points and then look at the menu prices, photos, and read past guests experiences - you start to realise that this place is (mostly) over the top expensive. In my entire life I have never paid $60 for a standard pizza or $55 for a bowl of noodles anywhere in the world but for this resort it is baseline.

Now, if I was paying cash for my room, I personally would be tempted to stay elsewhere, especially when there are sites like Luxury Escapes (and a few others) that from time to time offer some very good value.

For example, this expired Shangri La Maldives deal was pretty hot imo.

https://luxuryescapes.com/au/offer/s...I00000Y4cuvQAB

Now, compare this to the Conrad, I felt the Conrad prices were about 15-20% less than this property. That the Conrad had more actual over water dining experiences (Vilu, Mandhoo, Sunset Grill) versus a few tables over the water at Li Long only. For me the Conrad had more of a beach island / maldivian / tropical vibe to it whereas I didn't get that feeling staying at the Waldorf, especially when it came to dining. Apart from breakfast where we sat on the deck & over the beach, other dining options were indoors, in air conditioning, we could have been dining anywhere in the world thousands of miles away. Sure we could have gone to Yasmeen and experienced an arabian themed dining but the resort is supposed to be a tropical island eating bbq seafood and drinking coconuts, sand between my toes. Ok we can uplift the elegance a little from that scenario but (hopefully) you get my drift. The Conrad had some nice beach events (seafood / lobster bbq on the beach, maldivian nights, japanese grill overlooking the beach) so that complimented the tropical beach island theme very well. Hopefully the Waldorf can implement some of that in the near future.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Sorry a question, that resort looks like it's roughly only the same distance to the WA as they are from the Airport and they do Airport runs for $185 each all inclusive.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
"How much price do you need to pay per a point?"

I think there would be a separate thread but I couldn't find it. But in Korea (not North for sure! ) I can buy it 3.6-4.0 cents (depending on FX) per point from other Hilton members.
I hope your decimal point is off and you're not paying that amount of money for HH points.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I hope your decimal point is off and you're not paying that amount of money for HH points.
Oooops... per 10 points then...!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Here is a comparison of the cost I saved going to WA Maldives over Conrad Bora Bora last year. All the rooms at the WA are suites with pools and a great for two people. But we prefer a little more leg room. So we upgraded to the Grand versions. Our cost to upgrade to a Grand RV was $400++ (in 2020 it will be free).
Thanks for the detailed analysis and comparison. Just one clarification however: next year the "Grand" version of everything (BV, RV, OWV) will be a massive cost compared to less than $200 now. The cost of your extra legroom in the Maldives is about to get astronomical in 2020 at $1300-1600 per night for the additional living room... Definitely not free!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
That the Conrad had more actual over water dining experiences (Vilu, Mandhoo, Sunset Grill) versus a few tables over the water at Li Long only. For me the Conrad had more of a beach island / maldivian / tropical vibe to it whereas I didn't get that feeling staying at the Waldorf, especially when it came to dining. Apart from breakfast where we sat on the deck & over the beach, other dining options were indoors, in air conditioning, we could have been dining anywhere in the world thousands of miles away. Sure we could have gone to Yasmeen and experienced an arabian themed dining but the resort is supposed to be a tropical island eating bbq seafood and drinking coconuts, sand between my toes. Ok we can uplift the elegance a little from that scenario but (hopefully) you get my drift. The Conrad had some nice beach events (seafood / lobster bbq on the beach, maldivian nights, japanese grill overlooking the beach) so that complimented the tropical beach island theme very well. Hopefully the Waldorf can implement some of that in the near future.
Exactly.

Park Hyatt

Waldorf Astoria

Did anyone who stayed at WA find lagoon to be disappointing for the Maldives. (Especially considering this is 1000$ a night). From pictures I have seen, it looks "meh" like something I could find in the Caribbean (which is much close to where I live). Like, the Park Hyatt makes me go "wow" in pictures while the WA is like "eh".
If you're talking about the lack of coral formations (less of a natural look), it's not surprising really. They had to put so many sandbags and sand in that lagoon to widen the sand bars (and perhaps make them higher in altitude also) and extend the usable area of land that they probably covered up a good deal of the coral formations.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the detailed analysis and comparison. Just one clarification however: next year the "Grand" version of everything (BV, RV, OWV) will be a massive cost compared to less than $200 now. The cost of your extra legroom in the Maldives is about to get astronomical in 2020 at $1300-1600 per night for the additional living room... Definitely not free!
Good eye...That’s what I get for trying to do math and chew gum at the same time.

Let me check on the 2020 upgrade(s) to see where that puts the numbers. I am trying to convince my wife it makes better financial sense to go back to the Maldives over BB next year so I need the correct numbers before I make my presentation.

TD
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Park Hyatt

Waldorf Astoria

thats what i’ve been thinking all along. this is exactly what happens when you pump artificial sand in the middle of a natural lagoon to create a fake looking, man made island. it’s not going to go well and just as we can see right here, the sand is not settling very well. if i we’re paying a cash rate of 2.000 for this resort i would be very peeved if this was then lagoon/beach i found outside my villa.

the beaches at the conrad, PHH, and W are MUCH MUCH nicer.

ive been to 6 resorts in the maldives and even cheap 4* ones come way way ahead than the waldorf when it comes to beach and lagoon beauty. which at the end of the day is why i fly 30+ hours across the world and is also why i will never ever visit the WA.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
In my entire life I have never paid $60 for a standard pizza or $55 for a bowl of noodles anywhere in the world but for this resort it is baseline.
Hi Alan,

How was the noodles at Tangled? I love noodles but looked at some videos and the bowls look very small. Should we skip Tangled?

And does anyone have a full Terra menu? I see one with the $388 but I'm interested in the $298 menu also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.