Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Isn't that only half a small chicken too?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I've been following this thread with interest for a while now, and I'm just really struggling to see what the value proposition is for this property over the Conrad (or some others in the Maldives). What is it about this place that makes it worth all of the extra money?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Scotland
Isn't that only half a small chicken too?
It is 1/2 a chicken, but I would not call it small chicken. As someone mentioned upthread it is meant to be shared by two people. That assumes you order other sides. First time my wife had it was for a late lunch. She just ate that, but finished it. Second time was a dinner and could only eat about 2/3rds. As with all things WA Maldives, you should never compare the price to somewhere else. You will be frustrated with the cost most of the time.

I presume everyone on this thread has purchased a bottle of water? Did it taste so much better than filtered water out of your tap at home? If you compare the cost of a unit of water vs. that 12oz bottle you are paying 1000's of times the cost. But there are so many reason you can not compare the two...which is why millions of plastic water bottles are purchased monthly around the world.

By comparison the $65++ 1/2 chicken is a "steal"!

TD
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
So I have our final night to book, I'm almost wondering about booking an Overwater Villa at the SAii Lagoon ($800 ish) which looks very nice on the Hilton Site for our last night, could I get them to pick me up and save on the transfer too!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.............could I get them to pick me up and save on the transfer too!
Was that a question or a statement?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I've been following this thread with interest for a while now, and I'm just really struggling to see what the value proposition is for this property over the Conrad (or some others in the Maldives). What is it about this place that makes it worth all of the extra money?
I have never stayed the Conrad Maldives so I can not compare the two. Look upthread and there are some comparisons.

But by comparison I have stayed at many upscale places (i.e. overpriced/luxury) and can tell you the hard product (i.e. property infrastructure) is better than any Conrad, Ritz, Four Seasons and other WA I have stayed in. I found the soft product (i.e. service side) to be equally great or better than those as well. When we were there I did ask a few people who had stayed at the Four Seasons Maldives (both locations) how they compared. All agreed the hard product was much better at the WA. But most said they preferred the soft product at the Four Seasons. I agree Four Seasons is top-notch in customer service. But for me it is a little too pretentious sometimes. You don't have to serve me from my right side every time! For me I like good service, with a personal touch of the person who is serving me. I feel Four Seasons can be too robotic at times. YMWV.

Note: All prices below are upgrade prices beyond the base point/voucher room charge

Related to the Conrad Maldives I would have needed to spend a minimum of $1351++ for a Premium Water Villa per night to got us something close (and not really even that close) to what the $400++ upgrade cost me at the WA. Hysterically, the Conrad Maldives wanted $2330++ per night for the Premium Beach Suite that is a closet compared to the Grand Beach Villa we had at the WA for $200++ a night. That would have been almost $13K++ for the 6 nights we stayed on the beach for a much less impressive (even after renovations) room.

Here is a comparison of the cost I saved going to WA Maldives over Conrad Bora Bora last year. All the rooms at the WA are suites with pools and a great for two people. But we prefer a little more leg room. So we upgraded to the Grand versions. Our cost to upgrade to a Grand RV was $400++ (in 2020 it will be free). For a similar configuration the cost was $900++ per night at the Conrad BB. My wife asked that we go to BB next Summer. So for the 10 days we are going to be spending $9000++ in cash upgrades to get a similar (and smaller and older) room than the WA. You can buy a bunch of Peri Peri chicken for $9K! I realize the points to stay at the WA are higher (120K vs 89K) than the Conrad BB, but you get a hotel room for 89K and a massive suite with a pool for 120K. Each voucher I use (4 per stay) get me a free night, so much more value spent at the WA over either Conrad.

Just one persons perspective, but I saved thousands of dollars going to the WA over the Conrad BB or Maldives this year. Yes the FB and activities cost me more, but my total trip cost was much lower.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:13 pm

So I have our final night to book, I'm almost wondering about booking an Overwater Villa at the SAii Lagoon ($800 ish) which looks very nice on the Hilton Site for our last night, could I get them to pick me up and save on the transfer too!
I presume, but don't know for sure, that they will charge you the cost of a heart transplant to "pick you up".....

TD
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:24 pm

I know in a previous post there were some great pictures but does anyone have anymore information/photos re: the kids club?

I am traveling with 2 children (3 & 6) and pretty much my sole reason for picking the WA over Conrad was because it appears that the kids club is far superior.

Any feedback on this?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by kellyjo7
I know in a previous post there were some great pictures but does anyone have anymore information/photos re: the kids club? I am traveling with 2 children (3 & 6) and pretty much my sole reason for picking the WA over Conrad was because it appears that the kids club is far superior. Any feedback on this?
Anything specific you wanting to know about?

My daughter is 10 and she had a great time. Most of the kids I saw were more in line with your kids ages. My wife and I make most "helicopter parents" look irresponsible. We are very picky on who we leave her with. We had zero concern leaving her there. We actually tried to get her to stay a little longer one day so we could get a couples massage.

As I am writing this I just realized something....we have taken Summer trips every year since she was born. With the exception of a 1/2 day kids camp in Bora Bora we have never left her at any resort kids program. Most have them, but when we have checked them out they are mostly sad rundown room with old toys. Usually staffed with employees looking like they are being put in the kids club as punishment for something they did wrong. Not at the WA Maldives. The place looks/runs like a pre-school you would send your kids to at home, But they also have activities for kids my daughter's age. I think 11 is the oldest they allow. And I could see a 12 year old thinking they are too cool for the kids club.

Several kids clubs at other resorts charge an hourly fee. The WA is free...mostly. If I remember correctly there is one activity (activities are broken down by hour) a day that has a fee. You are not required to attend that activity. One day she made slime. Another day cupcakes. She did not do them, but they made cookies, pizza and burgers on other days we were there. I think the cost was $20-25 for each, but not 100% sure on that. Pretty spendy slime, but if you went on pizza or burger day you just fed them lunch. :0 But if you chose to have them there all day it costs less than $25 bucks.

Here are some other pics I took.....

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 23, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Anything specific you wanting to know about?

My daughter is 10 and she had a great time. Most of the kids I saw were more in line with your kids ages. My wife and I make most "helicopter parents" look irresponsible. We are very picky on who we leave her with. We had zero concern leaving her there. We actually tried to get her to stay a little longer one day so we could get a couples massage.

As I am writing this I just realized something....we have taken Summer trips every year since she was born. With the exception of a 1/2 day kids camp in Bora Bora we have never left her at any resort kids program. Most have them, but when we have checked them out they are mostly sad rundown room with old toys. Usually staffed with employees looking like they are being put in the kids club as punishment for something they did wrong. Not at the WA Maldives. The place looks/runs like a pre-school you would send your kids to at home, But they also have activities for kids my daughter's age. I think 11 is the oldest they allow. And I could see a 12 year old thinking they are too cool for the kids club.

Several kids clubs at other resorts charge an hourly fee. The WA is free...mostly. If I remember correctly there is one activity (activities are broken down by hour) a day that has a fee. You are not required to attend that activity. One day she made slime. Another day cupcakes. She did not do them, but they made cookies, pizza and burgers on other days we were there. I think the cost was $20-25 for each, but not 100% sure on that. Pretty spendy slime, but if you went on pizza or burger day you just fed them lunch. :0 But if you chose to have them there all day it costs less than $25 bucks.

Here are some other pics I took.....
Thanks this is helpful, what/how did the activities look besides paid ones ($25 is no big deal all things considered)? I believe I read that the Conrad had a pirate day or something like that.

Also, what were the facilities like, water park playground etc.?

P.S. the picture's didn't show up. At least not on my end.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by kellyjo7
Thanks this is helpful, what/how did the activities look besides paid ones ($25 is no big deal all things considered)? I believe I read that the Conrad had a pirate day or something like that. Also, what were the facilities like, water park playground etc.? P.S. the picture's didn't show up. At least not on my end. Thanks again!
Hit refresh. I was uploading when you posted

Here are the pics I posted previously
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31387329-post1815.html

From the link there is a picture I posted showing a days activity list. Little something for everyone. My daughter enjoyed the water park, but it is geared (size-wise) towards your kids age. We went to the Atlantis waterpark in Dubai on our way home so her post-trip review of the WA "water-park" fell a little short.

I am not sure they have a pirate day style activity. But I know they did a scavenger hunt one day. Another day they adventured out to find leaves for a project they did. I do believe they go to the wood-fire pizza oven (just around the corner from kids club) on pizza making day. So they do get the out a little bit to keep them engaged. I was told the only time they watch TV/movies is after lunch while everyone finishes up eating. Think I only saw the TV on one time.

Here is a link to my previous post with the weeks activity list I took off the iPad in the room:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31322821-post1685.html

Anything else let me know ;0

TD
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
How was the dive in the lagoon/outside. I've never been scuba diving before and am planning to take the discovery scuba diving in the lagoon. Do you recommend it?
I highly recommend diving with them. Did not find one person that did not give 100%

Not sure if they dive "inside". I don't think there is much to see. We rented Sea-Bobs for an hour (great fun) and used them in the lagoon, but all I saw was sand. I saw them teaching classes, most days, and they go out next to the wedding dock. I heard from most people that was one of the best places. I presume that is where they would take the discovery scuba people?

TD
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I get that this place is expensive but personally I feel that once you've covered the cost of expensive accommodation you shouldn't keep paying for the location over and over again.
It's like the WA has an implicit Tobin tax on all consumption of any kind (beyond the ++ charged elsewhere in the Maldives).

Moreover the pricing is erratic and seemingly capricious. A bottle of $30 champagne? $260. A bowl of noodles? $60. One full day of childcare including activities and lunch? $25.
One day the grand villas are $400 more than their standard counterparts the next they're $2000 more.
Let's not even get into the whole issue of the transfer cost doubling within a week of reservations being open.

You can get a pool villa at Amanoi and cover the cost of your meals (with cash to spare) for $1000 a night.
When you're there the price of F&B is certainly not immaterial and you don't have any nearby alternatives to speak of.
However, the hotel doesn't engage in distasteful pricing and presumably still manages to turn a profit.

Don't get me wrong, getting the bill at any Aman is still a moderately harrowing experience but the WA seems to be charging a lot more for a lot less...

I'd be really interested to hear from anybody that has been to both the WA and Pulo, Noi etc and can compare the value propositions.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:10 pm

I'm boutta to sign up for kids club for 25$ and make food worth 40$ LOL
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
I'm boutta to sign up for kids club for 25$ and make food worth 40$ LOL
Please upload a picture of yourself on the waterslide after lunch

TD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.