Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by escape4
I have a reservation later in 2019 and I asked to be "downgraded" from BV to OWV and they refused; they said since my booking is 2019, I can only do so if I pay $400 per night

Perhaps they would have had a different answer if my booking was early 2020 rather than late 2019? Regardless, I am not impressed. Let the rich footballers with children book in the more expensive BVs and let some of us downgrade voluntarily to OWV to free up more BV inventory. Everybody is happy. I guess that's not in the cards which is disappointing.
I'm in a simlilar boat, with a booking very late November directly after a Conrad stay. I've already booked the Conrad for the same dates in case I choose to cancel the WA, but if I could get a Reef Villa without paying the $400 a night that might just swing it.

As it stands, even with the 'half price' boat transfer, I'm tempted to save my 75k points (3 night WA stay), $400 a night upgrade fee and $800 boat ride money and just remain at Conrad.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
My stay is in late Feb and I also got a same offer, no extra to change my from BV to RV or OWV.
I am likely to go for a mix like 3 nights at BV and then 4 nights at OWV etc.

But I realised a view from the deck of RV and OWV looks pretty same based on some Youtube clips... while usually OWV cluster is pretty far from the main land and facilities etc.

So now I am wondering if I should go for OWV or RV.

Perhaps if one of them were with a nice sunset/sunrise view then it will make my choice much easier. However it is not the case for WA... suddenly I miss Conrad's SWV!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
My stay is in late Feb and I also got a same offer, no extra to change my from BV to RV or OWV......
Did you ask or did WA contact you proactively?

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 21, 2019 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by escape4
...as far as I know based on reports here they insist on guests who redeemed points for BV to pay for an "upgrade" (or downgrade) to other room types (no complimentary upgrades/downgrades)
I just 'downgraded' my 5 night points stay to an OWV, given that in February the southern most OWVs will have a decent sunset view. I was told not to expect a cash refund for doing so but equally I was not asked to pay for the privilege.

Looking upthread, others have also been told that they can 'downgrade' for free.

Last edited by Jermyn; Aug 21, 2019 at 8:50 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:56 am

Are the southern facing OWVs still under construction? Doesn't seem like anyone has stayed in those villas yet. Does anyone know if there are any distant small islands from the viewpoint of the southern OWVs?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Others have been allowed to downgrade for free, and correct me if I am wrong but all such reports are for stays in 2020? For my stay in 2019, the resort insists on $400 per night for my downgrade
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Question...is it "Maldives" or "the Maldives"?

I came to the Maldives to enjoy the ocean
or
I came to Maldives to enjoy the ocean

TD
It's the Maldives with a lower case 't'. Like the USA, because it's made up of more than one part like the States is made up of more than one state
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Did you ask or did WA contact you proactively?
I contacted WA after reading the post in this thread.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
For anybody who stayed, can you get that little island swimming or paddle board?
Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by honores41
For anybody who stayed, can you get that little island swimming or paddle board?
Thanks
I never saw anyone do it when we were there. But yes it would be an easy paddle on a calm day. It was on my short-list to-do when we were there....

Not sure I would swim there without a flag float or a spotter. Not a lot of boat traffic, but enough that I would not want to trust some newbie jet skier. Take some water shoes if you plan to get out and walk around. Most of the surface is compact coral/coral pieces. They may and/or may again cover it in sand, but was not there in July.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 21, 2019 at 2:55 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerchatter
Are the southern facing OWVs still under construction? Doesn't seem like anyone has stayed in those villas yet. Does anyone know if there are any distant small islands from the viewpoint of the southern OWVs?
I was told by staff that all the villas were open. Can't prove or dis-prove that, but when I went biking out that direction I only recall maintenance personnel in the OW area. While we there a big crane came in and worked on the suite at the end for a couple days. Looked like they were doing some major work on the pool. I clearly recall service staff and guests out in the other OW pontoon.

TD
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
and that they will get more mainland Chinese (not quite as affluent but still paying cash*) snapping up the more numerous - and now cheaper - OW and semi-OW villas (which they prefer by a considerable margin). They have vastly more RVs and OWVs than BVs so this could work out very well for them, while also satisfying Westerners' tastes and desires for being able to book (semi-)OV with points. Everyone wins.....theoretically.
They could have started doing surveys of these demographics since they opened and perhaps they are now marketing heavily for next year based on the results.
FWIW whilst at the resort we were approached by the Marketing Manager? and wanted to know "which travel agency and package" did we book with (obviously because I am chinese, yet born/rasied in Oz) and he wanted to know to see how he could conjure up more future business.

Originally Posted by honores41
Thanks
If we had reef shoes we would have been tempted to just walk/wade across (looked probably 5 feet of water max). You can't paddle out there because non-motorised vessels from the water sports aren't allowed to go that far out (from where you start off from).

And re: "downgrades" to OWV. I am tempted to rebook and go back if that is the case!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:34 pm

A quick question before 'downgrading' my room category from BV to OWV:
Can guests at RV or OWV access to beach in front of BVs? I am asking this question as some Youtube clips describe those beach are 'private' and each BV as a 'private' access to that area.

If no, then I will try to mix my stay with BV, not entire with OWV.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
A quick question before 'downgrading' my room category from BV to OWV:
Can guests at RV or OWV access to beach in front of BVs? I am asking this question as some Youtube clips describe those beach are 'private' and each BV as a 'private' access to that area.

If no, then I will try to mix my stay with BV, not entire with OWV.

Thanks in advance
You can walk and or bike up and down the beach. Each suite has its own palapa (do they call them that in the Maldives?) with 2 chairs. Those are assigned to the Suite they are in front of. But I never saw anyone using them, including us.

TD
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:40 pm

I know this is an old article (July 2) but did anyone, when booking through the website or resort directly, get the exact same package that is offered at the bottom of the article?
Members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount and free standard Wi-Fi. An exclusive opening offer is also now applicable for new bookings*.

*Guests who book from 1 July till 27 September 2019 for a stay before 20 December 2019 will enjoy the following privileges:
  • Daily breakfast for two
  • Daily $100 USD dining credit per person
  • Return luxury yacht airport transfer
  • A 30-minute massage at the Waldorf Astoria Spa for two per stay
  • Snorkelling for two per stay
If so, how much was it and for what villa cat (presumably standard BV) and length of stay?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.