Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:17 am

Mandhoo is the island directly north of Rangali, not that one.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is certainly some trash that washes up in the breaker rocks at Ithaafushi, especially around the odd numbered 200 villas. I did see staff going around picking it up. It doesn't look like trash from the island, it's plastic water bottles and stuff that would have drifted in from far away.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gnomey
wow pretty bad + sad.
i m surprised they will bring tourist to such "deserted" island for excursion.
Maybe it is really deserted? like someone camped there once or twice and the island got deserted and left as is

Originally Posted by jphripjah
There is certainly some trash that washes up in the breaker rocks at Ithaafushi, especially around the odd numbered 200 villas. I did see staff going around picking it up. It doesn't look like trash from the island, it's plastic water bottles and stuff that would have drifted in from far away.
Yep we were in 618 and had stuff wash up or was floating on a daily basis (plastic mainly, cut wood used for building materials), threw them onto the beach so the workers could pick them up.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:15 am

Just a theory but maybe the closer you are to Male the more trash there is floating around. There are so many populated islands there that maybe they can't control all of it as they'd like (and send it to the rubbish island to be burnt) and some must go flying into the sea in bad weather.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:38 am

Sad to say, but at the rate of what I saw alone at just one deserted island, these beautiful beaches will be destroyed before 10 years. I mean, here even on Faarufushi island, I was picking up bits of plastic here and there of various origins (consumer, industrial, etc.). And it seems they use a hell of a lot of plastic netting and miscellaneous polymers to hold down rocks and breaker barriers and other concrete objects in the water I can't identify. I guess the tidal erosion is so strong here that they have to use something. In fact, I can't see the rooms holding up in this hotel I'm at for another 3 years due to water coming within 2 meters of the bungalow pools in a hotel that is only 5 months old. They were even sand-bagging the bar gazebo because the tidal waves were actually about to pull out the base of the pizza oven and gazebo. Bad planning or normal errosion, I don't know.

For those of you who know the Maldives, is upselling a common tactic here?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by scwam
Sad to say, but at the rate of what I saw alone at just one deserted island, these beautiful beaches will be destroyed before 10 years. I mean, here even on Faarufushi island, I was picking up bits of plastic here and there of various origins (consumer, industrial, etc.). And it seems they use a hell of a lot of plastic netting and miscellaneous polymers to hold down rocks and breaker barriers and other concrete objects in the water I can't identify. I guess the tidal erosion is so strong here that they have to use something. In fact, I can't see the rooms holding up in this hotel I'm at for another 3 years due to water coming within 2 meters of the bungalow pools in a hotel that is only 5 months old. They were even sand-bagging the bar gazebo because the tidal waves were actually about to pull out the base of the pizza oven and gazebo. Bad planning or normal errosion, I don't know.

For those of you who know the Maldives, is upselling a common tactic here?
i think so, though i would say it is a little uncouth to give this kind of pressure too much at high end hotels, where i feel they are supposed to leave the client alone and also be attentive enough to be there when it's needed.
we were constantly asked to join this and that dinner event while at Conrad. i think it's just the F&B manager's job, though yes, we did feel a little bothered but a simple "no" was suffice.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
i think so, though i would say it is a little uncouth to give this kind of pressure too much at high end hotels, where i feel they are supposed to leave the client alone and also be attentive enough to be there when it's needed.
we were constantly asked to join this and that dinner event while at Conrad. i think it's just the F&B manager's job, though yes, we did feel a little bothered but a simple "no" was suffice.
Tip: You can easily avoid this if you book restaurants before you arrive. We have done every time and never ever had an upsell for evening meals, nor anything else for that matter.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:33 am

A new option on atoll transfer showed up for transfers to WA. For USD1924RT
I think the resort will reject it anyways, but it looks up to their "standards"
https://www.atolltransfer.com/beneteauyachtmaldives
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Third party transfer

I contact the resort stating that “there’s no mention of compulsory yacht transfer in my booking nor was it on the website when I booked”
However, they replied
“Regret to inform that we’re unable to allow third party transfers as transfer policies has been finalized based on guests feedback to ensure safety and security of all our guests.
However we’re pleased to extend a discount and offer US $300 + taxes and service per person per way for the luxury yacht transfers.”
The 50 dollars discount is like....really piss me off...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by alice50734
I contact the resort stating that “there’s no mention of compulsory yacht transfer in my booking nor was it on the website when I booked”
However, they replied
“Regret to inform that we’re unable to allow third party transfers as transfer policies has been finalized based on guests feedback to ensure safety and security of all our guests.
However we’re pleased to extend a discount and offer US $300 + taxes and service per person per way for the luxury yacht transfers.”
The 50 dollars discount is like....really piss me off...
Lol well at least they offered you something. 50 bucks is better then nothing right lol.

How bout breakfast is free breakfast included with points stay and as a diamond member?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eyesonthepoints
How bout breakfast is free breakfast included with points stay and as a diamond member?
Yes.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Yes.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

Anybody Know of other freebies that my fam should be aware of? I remember at conrad Maldives there was a free happy hour is there such a thing here at Waldorf Maldives? Any other freebies?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Eyesonthepoints
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

Anybody Know of other freebies that my fam should be aware of? I remember at conrad Maldives there was a free happy hour is there such a thing here at Waldorf Maldives? Any other freebies?

By the way not going to maldives for the freebies lol, I am expecting to shell out LOTS of Dough haha.. was just curious on what the resort offers complimentary...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
All the freebies are listed in the Wiki at the top of this thread. @:-)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Oops my bad. Thanks sorry bout that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.