Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NYC_1
Wow. That’s an insane story. I hope it works out.

As for the “privacy” thing, it holds no water at all because the arrivals pier is not even visible from any rooms or restaurants. And what about the 40-50 boats we see daily floating by 40 meters off shore? They should just admit that it’s part of the room rate and move on. Imagine if airlines told you that you couldn’t avoid checked bag fees by not checking a bag.
I'm not siding with the resort on yacht pricing or the "no 3rd party transfer" policy but the arrival pier is definitely visible from Tasting Table and from the decks of the even numbered 600s villas.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

Speaking of which.....the 2-star review that was posted by Michael M has basically now turned into a 5-star review and the username has changed to MikeM and suddenly there are now 3 contributions. Didn't think we'd notice eh, @NYC_1? What did they give you to change the review to 5 stars.....??
I’ll follow up later today or tomorrow to do a better job of explaining how our experience has changed. And of course I knew you’d notice, if I didn’t want it to be noticed it wouldn’t have been.

Zero bribery (unless you include a glass of wine that our server recommends to be paired with a fish at one of the restaurants and a beach bag), just instantly corrected issues island-wide, attention and explanation and impossible to believe professionalism about the whole thing.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I’m wondering if mgmt are following this thread, the way Rangali used to. They have to be. Although the Rangali rep used to actually post on the thread back in the day, not anymore though. I guess they don’t need to.
Of course they are!

Originally Posted by Eyesonthepoints
O dang thanks guys for clarifying. Ya they threw him a bone so that he would change his review. I'm sure this is going to continue to happen till they establish enough reviews. This is the beginning so they need as many 5 star reviews.
Problem is, at least from their end, they can pretty much only do this with guests who are still on the property.
And, now corrected
Originally Posted by Eyesonthepoints
Write a bad review while you're still there and you might get thrown a bone or two 😉
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
The people with the aluminum hats have now joined the thread....
Funny.....but the two groups did conspire to do something. At least NYC_1 will be welcomed back to the property for a future visit with open arms, LOL. Well.....maybe unless he tries to get there by himself next time, ha ha ha.

Zero bribery (unless you include a glass of wine that our server recommends to be paired with a fish at one of the restaurants and a beach bag), just instantly corrected issues island-wide, attention and explanation and impossible to believe professionalism about the whole thing.
Well, I suppose that's good and all.....for you guys. But it's really a shame the same 'professionalism' wasn't extended to the Diamond member @BLTraveler ealier on this week. Nor all the other people who are being refused entry under their double-standard, BS pretense. Oh, and the ones they tried screwing over by trying to force them to pay the transfer fee as one way instead of return. That kind of 'professionalism' is rife where I live and I see it every day (I live in a corrupt society where face is all important). There are 2 reasons why anything and everything happens here - and I mean anything and everything; it's either face or money - nothing else. We see the same thing in this case.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
This is going to vary a bit among the villas. I was in 623 and couldn't see neighbors. But I recall when walking the beach around some of the 200 villas that there was less privacy. 213 was OK, but some of the other villas nearby (which may not be base beach villas) has less privacy. For example I noted that 205 was ringed in by other villas that jut out around it and that the fence between 205 and 207 doesn't extend far enough out to block the views from one deck to another. 218 also had a deck that lacked privacy but they were still finishing those villas maybe they will add more fencing.

They told me that the King Beach Villas are 208, 216, 220, 213, 601, 605, 609, 612, 613, 618, 622, 623, 625, and 628. That list may not be 100% accurate.

I recommend emailing them and double check that and request 213 or one of the odd 600 villas, or 618 or 622.
Thanks. Will add this to the wiki.

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I wear a pineapple hat though Tin hats don’t really suit me.
No pic? Oh, come on, endulge us!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:44 pm

Sorry it’s not as interesting as it maybe seems. Just to be clear, they’ve not bribed us, asked me to remove or modify the post or anything of that nature at all. No conspiracies on the TA profile change, I just thought I’d start being active and adding reviews to places we visit and so it is just a reflection of deciding to be active with it.

Basically, there has been a complete switch in what is happening. Several of the managers have approached us to discuss our viewpoints and how they are addressing things, and to thank us for expressing our opinions. They are paying attention. I have never seen an organization take direct and sharply negative criticism so well and I think it says a lot about the team here. No defensiveness or excuses, just action and change. And the results were immediate. This is a big place, it’s hard to figure out how they managed to change things across the board so fast.

We have noticed a few permanent type changes in the way they’re doing some of the smaller things too. We were ready to leave the other day, and I was on the phone with the airline looking at options. We decided to stay and I’m glad we did. I generally don’t think the “they just opened last month” thing is valid and they haven’t said anything of that sort to me. They’re charging guests full price to be here so it needs to be right.

I agree that there may (will?) still be issues for others and the transfer issues will remain, and they need to get it figured out. I’m not suggesting this place has gone from terrible to perfect over night, but our experience did and I’m just relaying my opinions. With the near physical perfection of the resort, strong service makes this a very enjoyable place to be.

Regarding the reef villa versus grand overwater villa: I agree with TD’s views. The glass bottom is a fun feature of the OW villa but I would not spend money on the upgrade next time, the non-grand versions are easily enough. The beach villas look so great that I would probably just stick with those rather than do the OW thing.

This was our first time in the Maldives, but we saw what we think is a lot of fish. Some rays, 4-5 small reef sharks, maybe 25-30 other types of fish in significant numbers. If other places are better for this, that’s pretty remarkable.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:18 pm

Sorry it’s not as interesting as it maybe seems. Just to be clear, they’ve not bribed us, asked me to remove or modify the post or anything of that nature at all. No conspiracies on the TA profile change, I just thought I’d start being active and adding reviews to places we visit and so it is just a reflection of deciding to be active with it.
Well, you know. You could forgive those who are wondering why, while you're in the midst of paradise lapping up the luxury and all, you change your TA username and have time to post a review of another property you visited months ago (after it was mentioned yesterday that a good portion of the 5s are from users with no other reviews except that of the Waldorf). I'm not making judgements, just saying it seemed pretty fishy (pardon the pun)!

This is a big place, it’s hard to figure out how they managed to change things across the board so fast.

We have noticed a few permanent type changes in the way they’re doing some of the smaller things too.
Can you give us some examples? Would be good for those here on the forum that have upcoming stays as folks are worried about the service and how well (or badly) organized they are.

With the near physical perfection of the resort..
Have to disagree with you on this one. After you've been to Rangali or another Maldives resort which has natural undergrowth you'll likely change your mind.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Well, you know. You could forgive those who are wondering why, while you're in the midst of paradise lapping up the luxury and all, you change your TA username and have time to post a review of another property you visited months ago (after it was mentioned yesterday that a good portion of the 5s are from users with no other reviews except that of the Waldorf). I'm not making judgements, just saying it seemed pretty fishy (pardon the pun)!

Can you give us some examples? Would be good for those here on the forum that have upcoming stays as folks are worried about the service and how well (or badly) organized they are.

Have to disagree with you on this one. After you've been to Rangali or another Maldives resort which has natural undergrowth you'll likely change your mind.
If I wanted to deceive you all, would I have used such a similar name, used several sentences from the original review and done so on the same day? The execution of such a plan would have been far more clandestine. I get it, but there’s nothing nefarious.

Examples: breakfast menu cards are now placed on each table in between the s&p shakers and coffee sugars, eliminating the possibility of staff forgetfulness. A Beach bag is in our room (and presumably others). Speed limits are consistently observed by staff. I can’t recall ever going to a resort that doesn’t supply sunscreen at the pool and a beach bag for guest use. But then, my wife says the hair dryer in the room is the best she’s ever used at a hotel. The beds and pillows are amazing, and there’s actually a “pillow” menu offering about 10-12 types of pillows for different types of sleepers.

By physical, I mean the villas. I can imagine the mature landscaping/undergrowth etc is better elsewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:46 am

Sunscreen for free must be an American thing. I've never seen it at any resort I've ever visited across Asia and Europe.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:46 am

E
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Sunscreen for free must be an American thing. I've never seen it at any resort I've ever visited across Asia and Europe.
Interesting, so this makes sense then. It’s a thing in North and South America. The Setai in Miami Beach and Four Seasons in Maui gives guests the Coola brand sunscreen they sell here in the spa. It’s like $40 on amazon for 150 ml in the US, I can’t imagine what it costs here.

Last edited by NYC_1; Aug 11, 2019 at 1:53 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:17 am

Examples: breakfast menu cards are now placed on each table in between the s&p shakers and coffee sugars, eliminating the possibility of staff forgetfulness. A Beach bag is in our room (and presumably others). Speed limits are consistently observed by staff.
Wow. The beach bag sounds like an exception to the rule. Still, housekeeping should be checking things off a list every time someone new checks into a room.
I struggle, however, to get to grips with the idea that the GM and DoO are not moving around the resort day to day and don't notice the speed at which staff are driving and haven't implemented rules for this. Unbelievable. And even more unbelievable considering this is a safety issue and a child could easily get hit. And things like the breakfast cards - common sense, but honestly, how much brain power does it take for a waiter to remember "I have to give a menu card to each new table"? It's supposed to be a Waldorf, no? What the hell were these guys doing when they had training? Sleeping?
*End rant*

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 11, 2019 at 2:36 am Reason: Damn typos
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:13 pm

Review from a Chinese family who paid for stay. I used google translate. They also have same complaints of overpriced wine and "forgettable transfers".
https://bbs.qyer.com/thread-3272718-1.html
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:11 pm

How does one get from another resort to the WA if third party transfers are not allowed? I booked our stay for late June and already arranged for third party transportation (there was no mention of this not being allowed in my confirmation). Am I SOL?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldTravl
Review from a Chinese family who paid for stay. I used google translate. They also have same complaints of overpriced wine and "forgettable transfers".
https://bbs.qyer.com/thread-3272718-1.html
Thanks for that, very comprehensive review.

That family spent $4,000 for five dinners, oh my. That is the first review of Terra and the food does look very creative, pity that they confirmed that they stared into darkness.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
For how long can the resort keep offering the mediocre yacht transfers while calling it "exclusive luxury private yacht" and charge the insane amounts they are charging? Based on pretty much all the reviews I have seen so far the whole transfer experience is downright underwhelming, particularly considering the price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.