Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NightFury1
I feel like I've never seen the CMRI not have award availability, and if I have, it's rare. It's like that resort was built to function as a points sink.
Decent availability for BV but not for WV!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:11 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BLTraveler
[MENTION=674967]
Losses form this experience:
-$614 non refundable transfer
- 2 weekend certs unused that will expire
- One full day in the Maldives staring a phone trying to resolve situation.
This is what shi7s me (about the resort). There are people like you who want to and are able to spend $$$ (at the resort) [ie spent $614 + time + 2 weekend certificates] but because of a BS no 3rd party boats policy on a fake premise, they lost a guest and money.

You know there are some people (here) who think if you complain about the yacht cost, it would best if you stayed home because you can't afford yacht ride you are not the guest that the resort wants - I call this a complete fallacy.

I complained about the yacht cost but at the same time, I suggested people to spend up big (July 5th), worry about the cost later. Deciding how I spend my money, that is called choice. I wonder if there is helicpoter pad because one day I might just want to take a helicopter there or will that ruin other guests privacy.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Reading some of the bizarre accounts in this thread we are strongly considering to cancel our stay. It is in April next year so we won't touch it for now -- hopefully these issues will be ironed out over the next six months or so. And perhaps they'll lower the insane transfer cost by then as well...
I have read all, and posted many, on this thread. The only real “bizarre accounts” mentioned are the obvious money grab from the WA boat transfer, masked as a “privacy concern”. And the other being the privacy concerns (from people who have never stayed there) between the suites due low foliage growth.

The later will work itself out shortly (though our room already had ample cover. Too much for me). If someone can’t get over the extortionist requirement of the former, simply don’t go. But if you can, go, and you will have an amazing time.

Just my opinion for anyone reading this thread who is considering going/not going to the WA Maldives...in a nut shell....

TD
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by NYC_1
A few more ridiculous experiences last night and this morning and we are ready to leave.
Hope you can share details....
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYC_1
A few more ridiculous experiences last night and this morning and we are ready to leave.
Yes, please do share.

I’m surprise Maldivian Laws allow this kind of restriction since it prevents money from getting to the local economy and instead goes to some foreign corporation.
This would be interesting issue to take up with the government. Probably wouldn't get very far but if more resorts start being this anal then you never know.

Update to my situation: After Hilton calling and emailing the resort for about ten hours to try and get the resort to process the refund, the Manager sent me a “generous” offer. Since, I already paid $600 for the nonrefundable transfer to the resort, if I just paid Waldorf an additional $1,100 dollars, they would pick me up/drop off in Male.
Which manager was this? Reservations department I guess.

- They said they used to allow 3rd party transfers but guests complained about their “privacy”. Pretty sure this is a lie and guests were instead complaining that they paid 300% more for their transfer.
Yeah like they've been open a month and already getting loads of pushback about the transfer then they come up with this pathetic excuse for an excuse. It's an outright lie. And so is their BS policy because as soon as we see a yacht docked off the shore from today onwards, it's going to put their policy into disputable territory. What we need is a pic / video of a guest coming off a yacht. Feel free to upload, people.

- Waldorf said they will look into contacting guests sooner and adding info to the website clearly stating prices and transfer restriction. Good idea, but hopefully it shows up prominently during the booking process on the website and mobile app.
Look into, huh. That's a professional response. How about, maybe "will definitely be contacting all guests 30 days out"
I would be taking this up with Hilton Corporate if I were you. You are entitled to compensation since you received no email from 30 days out (and past the date where you could cancel your reservation) and no reply, aka: confirmation of denial of entry, for 3 days to your email 8 days before stating you were arranging your own transportation. Sue their ahss back in the States.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 9, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Decent availability for BV but not for WV!
That's because they are going to remove / reinstall the WVs in (early?) February and so have taken them from inventory. They're available to book from early April.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I wonder if there is helicpoter pad because one day I might just want to take a helicopter there or will that ruin other guests privacy.
Don't worry. I'm sure they'll have an excuse ready, under the pretense of privacy, something like "A helicopter is classed as a drone / vertical flying apparatus and therefore not allowed due to privacy concerns expressed by our propaganda department guests"
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
Other tidbits:
- They said they used to allow 3rd party transfers but guests complained about their “privacy”. Pretty sure this is a lie and guests were instead complaining that they paid 300% more for their transfer.
- Waldorf said they will look into contacting guests sooner and adding info to the website clearly stating prices and transfer restriction. Good idea, but hopefully it shows up prominently during the booking process on the website and mobile app.
Sounds like they admitted changing their policy. They can't change their policy to a mandatory transfer after you make a reservation, and certainly not after the cancellation policy. That's similar to them changing the wording from one way to return, but still honoring the original pricing (which is much more inline with what the market should sustain).

I arrive within the cancellation window and am in the same situation as you. I will not back down on this. The "resort's private yacht" is a complete ripoff. I'm fine paying top dollar for food and things that will add to the enjoyment of my vacation, the pictures of this yacht (and lack of services) in no way make me want to pay that exorbitant fee. At other times I have used resort's transfers, even though they were overpriced compared to 3rd party options, but they weren't overpriced to the tune of $1k. I'll be interested to see if they contact me at all.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by hoyt
The "resort's private yacht" is a complete ripoff. I'm fine paying top dollar for food and things that will add to the enjoyment of my vacation, the pictures of this yacht (and lack of services) in no way make me want to pay that exorbitant fee. At other times I have used resort's transfers, even though they were overpriced compared to 3rd party options, but they weren't overpriced to the tune of $1k. I'll be interested to see if they contact me at all.
I was told by a staff member they use 5 different boats for transfers. I presume it is not 5 of the same make/model. Curious if those that have been can report what boat(s) they were on.

We were on a Majesty 70, Ithaafushi Princess. The boat had a lower deck with 3 bedrooms. A middle deck with a dinning room/sitting room and kitchen. And an upper deck.

TD
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
What a bunch of tosspots. Put it on your blog and rip the shyte out of them.
I intend on doing so when I return home next week. I flew down to the Maldives an evangelical fan of Hilton only to get kicked in the face when I got here. I’m feeling pretty stupid convincing all my friends and coworkers to stay with Hilton..

If anyone has any photos/video they are willing to let me use in my blog post that would greatly be appreciated. Only photos I have are when I flew over the Waldorf to get to the Conrad. I would love to use pictures of how private the resort is, the arrival pier, and all those other random boats floating off shore. Video of those things would be good also. I will provide credit to anyone. Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

I was told by a staff member they use 5 different boats for transfers. I presume it is not 5 of the same make/model. Curious if those that have been can report what boat(s) they were on.

We were on a Majesty 70, Ithaafushi Princess. The boat had a lower deck with 3 bedrooms. A middle deck with a dinning room/sitting room and kitchen. And an upper deck.

TD
diving in FT for a long time, first time post.
I will be more interested if WA has 5 level of boat fare. Princess or Prince yacht might be $850 RT/each. King/Queen may be more expensive. But I don't really mind to take people/citizen boat for $250 RT/couple if any.
That's the similar yacht service Conrad bora bora charges, we have great time there for a trial honeymoon back in June and lucky to be in one of the only two beach front villa as a diamond upgrade that we saw eagle ray many times and snorkel with them. There is also a wedding held on the beach in front of our villa that we can see from our villa the poor groom only can wear leaf bottom and naked the upper part sitting under strong sun to see traditional Tahitian dance. We are totally forced to join the wedding free of charge unless we close our blind. The same dance we have to pay $240/couple on Tuesday night buffet.
Anyway, Conrad bora bora experience is really nice and we are on the boat for the next March WA Maldive on our 2nd trial honey moon but have seen recent management disrespect to customer, we are thinking to switch to Conrad but OWV seems to only open in early April?? dilemma !!!.

PS. Any married couple knew how many trial honeymoon you should have to really know future partner "potential" before you sign the contract.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:22 pm

A couple new (and very negative) reviews of the WA are up on TripAdvisor.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kimomo
diving in FT for a long time, first time post.
I will be more interested if WA has 5 level of boat fare. Princess or Prince yacht might be $850 RT/each. King/Queen may be more expensive. But I don't really mind to take people/citizen boat for $250 RT/couple if any.
That's the similar yacht service Conrad bora bora charges, we have great time there for a trial honeymoon back in June and lucky to be in one of the only two beach front villa as a diamond upgrade that we saw eagle ray many times and snorkel with them. There is also a wedding held on the beach in front of our villa that we can see from our villa the poor groom only can wear leaf bottom and naked the upper part sitting under strong sun to see traditional Tahitian dance. We are totally forced to join the wedding free of charge unless we close our blind. The same dance we have to pay $240/couple on Tuesday night buffet.
Anyway, Conrad bora bora experience is really nice and we are on the boat for the next March WA Maldive on our 2nd trial honey moon but have seen recent management disrespect to customer, we are thinking to switch to Conrad but OWV seems to only open in early April?? dilemma !!!.

PS. Any married couple knew how many trial honeymoon you should have to really know future partner "potential" before you sign the contract.
In my experience, upgrading from beach villa to superior water or retreat villa has always been at a reasonable fee ($60 to $150 USD). You can book beach villa and ask hotel about upgrade costs. If they do not provide a good deal you can refund reservation (provided you did not pass the refund date).

I’ve been to Conrad Bora and Conrad Maldives. I prefer the Conrad Maldives over Conrad Bora. However IHG Thalasso Bora was the best hotel I’ve been experienced.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
I think it is very telling that management is quick to respond to positive reviews on Trip Advisor, but seem to ignore the negative ones.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by gav0106
I think it is very telling that management is quick to respond to positive reviews on Trip Advisor, but seem to ignore the negative ones.
Seems to be the only thing they are quick to respond to.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by gav0106
I find that pretty standard with most businesses in TripAdvisor. Thank the thanks and ignore the bad press

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.