Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wekxbrainx
Kindly note with respect for our guests’ privacy and security, third party/ own transfer is not permitted to enter the resort.
Who would have thought?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:01 pm

I am going in August. Just got an email from the hotel:

Kindly note with respect for our guests’ privacy and security, third party/ own transfer is not permitted to enter the resort.

Did anyone arrange their own transportation would like to share? Or everyone paid the $350+23.2% per person per way? Really not looking forward to pay the $1700 round trip for 2 people.
👎
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:12 pm

Email was from before the resort opening. What amenities on the transfer made it "unforgettable"... Diet Coke and A grape on a piece of melon impaled by a tooth pick.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
We certainly do. We've never wasted a single cent on alcohol poison so lucky for us the only 2000% markups we have to worry about are the transfer fees to and from the resort.....oh, and the food, LOL.

Jeez. 2K for a room and they aren't even giving colour maps. WTH?
And very useful post, BTW!
It isn't even a good black and white map. It doesn't label individual villas. They are just unlabeled, color coded boxes on the map. Which makes no sense when they hand it to you in black and white. I lost my copy of the map but maybe someone can photograph it and post it. It's a surprisingly useless map for a large $1400 a night resort.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:39 pm

Received the following upgrade offers via email for a 6 night points stay, December 5-11.

King Reef Villa with Pool : US$200+ 23.2% Tax and service charge per night

King Overwater Villa with Pool : US$400+ 23.2% Tax and service charge per night

Also received this info:

For the payment, we can either send you an online payment link or can settle upon arrival. Kindly bear in mind that the same cancellation policy will apply for the upgrade charges as well.

So can cancel up to 15 days prior to stay, at least for my stay.

Based on what I’ve read here, I was moderately concerned about privacy and views depending on which RV you get. Its our first time going to Maldives, went ahead and opted for OWV for the full experience and of course pay upon arrival.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
TD, how does this place compare to Bora Bora, I've read that you've been numerous times to BB and am interested in planning a trip myself after visiting this place.
BB is visually more stunning, main reason being mt otemanu.
The color of the water at BB is just like what you see in photos online.
Maldives is flat as a pancake all the way through.

BB is very busy with boat traffic compared to Maldives atoll.
Maldives is peaceful and quiet as you are quite literally in the middle of no where and 1 island = 1 resort.

Snorkeling at Maldives is easier bc of house reef. And the good ones are very rich in marine life. If you stay at Motu Piti Aau, you need a boat ride out
BB is not really known for its snorkeling - what you can see off your resort villa is not as exciting as what you can see on a good house reef at Maldives. Much better place elsewhere in FP to snorkel if you are after a good spot.

High-end Maldives resort (Cheval Blanc etc) is over-the-top luxury, like, very OTT; BB is shabby in comparison but by no means run-down.
In terms of local cuisine, both French/Asian combo and Maldivian dishes appeal to me.
Am never a person who is really into molecular gastronomy or one who goes all the way to Maldives to partake at japanese/italian or some foreign cuisine (given the chance, I would prefer to be just served Maldivian fish curry any and every day), so bc of this, BB wins out for me on food aspect due to the flexibility and availability of dining options outside of hotel (food truck all the way to Villa Mahana). Poisson Cru...
At both locales, seafood are very fresh and good, unsurprisingly.

More activities and nooks/corners to explore in BB compared to Maldives.
Not "trapped" on an island at BB
Maldives is a good place to visit to "zone out and do nothing", or for the serious divers/snorkellers, to do their thing.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
Who would have thought?
Of course, this wasn't meant to happen. Remember this is a U.S. company and liability issues arise if there happens to be injury or death as a result of something they don't take due diligence with. Lack of them supervising unauthorized/uncontracted agents is a liability.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:09 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I am going in August. Just got an email from the hotel:
I doubt they can enforce it though, I mean I didn't even see security personnel at the resort - sure 10 guys can come round a guest up but would they? And the Maldivian police are 40 minutes away, arriving by the time you've landed and enjoying a welcome drink.

Let alone the first billionaire guest who is booked into the private island. I bet they want to slum it on the Waldorf Astoria's yacht.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
.....sure 10 guys can come round a guest up but would they? And the Maldivian police are 40 minutes away, arriving by the time you've landed and enjoying a welcome drink.
You're enjoying your first early evening cocktail watching the sunset fall into the horizon, and in the distance slowly appearing are several high-speed cigarette boats from AYTE, the Agency of Yacht Task Enforcement headed straight for you.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by giftcardrecipient
Received the following upgrade offers via email for a 6 night points stay, December 5-11.

King Reef Villa with Pool : US$200+ 23.2% Tax and service charge per night

King Overwater Villa with Pool : US$400+ 23.2% Tax and service charge per night

Also received this info:

For the payment, we can either send you an online payment link or can settle upon arrival. Kindly bear in mind that the same cancellation policy will apply for the upgrade charges as well.

So can cancel up to 15 days prior to stay, at least for my stay.

Based on what I’ve read here, I was moderately concerned about privacy and views depending on which RV you get. Its our first time going to Maldives, went ahead and opted for OWV for the full experience and of course pay upon arrival.
The big privacy issues are related to the beach villas. The reef villas are very private. We spent 6 days in a garden and have been in a reef for 4 days. Once you are inside the gates or your reef villa you can not tell if it is reef or fully OW. I was glad we saved the money and only opted for the reef upgrade.

TD

PS..we saw about 20 dolphins from our room yesterday!

Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I doubt they can enforce it though, I mean I didn't even see security personnel at the resort - sure 10 guys can come round a guest up but would they? And the Maldivian police are 40 minutes away, arriving by the time you've landed and enjoying a welcome drink.

Let alone the first billionaire guest who is booked into the private island. I bet they want to slum it on the Waldorf Astoria's yacht.
We rented a boat the week before our WA stay. Our boat tender was allowed to dock where the WA yacht does with no issues.

TD
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:43 am

Turtle needs a new home. If you are here PM me and I’ll have the concierge bring it over tomorrow.

TD

Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
The color of the water at BB is just like what you see in photos online.
Maldives is flat as a pancake all the way through.
Thank you for the comparison. Can you explain what this means though? As in the Maldives aren't as visually appealing as in their pictures? BB waters do look stunning to me.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:09 am

Can someone please post up some images of the in-room dining menu?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:21 am

So what's the initial thoughts on this property vs St Regis Maldives for an award booking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.