Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:14 pm

Some of you may have already seen this video.
But it is a drone view of some of resort.

I wonder what drone they have its in 4K!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
I wonder what drone they have its in 4K!
There are several drones that film in 4K (or it could just be upscalled).

On that note, does anyone know the drone policy at the resort?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:18 pm

While I haven’t yet been to this WA, I have taken my drone to many of the other top properties in the portfolio as I take at least one of my drones with me on all my travels. In my experience, even at the properties with no drone signs or a declared policy, permission is often granted with full disclosure of intentions and purpose up front. As expected, the hotels primary concern is the privacy of other guests.... something I respect at all times. I have often been told where and when I could fly, with strict guidelines pertaining to where I could not. We have also been “monitored” by security at times to Make sure our films are being made within their guidelines. Bottoms line, I view flying the drone as a privilege, not a “right” of any sort. Please do the same.
Ask the hotel and adhere to their policies. Don’t ruin the experience for others- if told not to fly, please don’t-

For what it’s worth, my go to drone on travels is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro-
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldTravl
Some of you may have already seen this video.
But it is a drone view of some of resort.
Thanks, looks like the video was taken prior to the official July 1 opening. Resort looks pretty much deserted, no towels etc on any of the villas, no other water sports boats in the lagoon etc.

For anyone interested in the 60minute guided snorkelling tour, I was told the route occurs at the the drop off that can be seen from 3m38s to 3m55s.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:23 am

Hi all! First post here! After reading hundred pages of the thread, I am wondering if anyone have successfully prepaid some expenses using credit auth form?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Just cancelled one cash booking to change it to point redemption but it didn't go back to inventory unfortunately Is there a certain delay? Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Just cancelled one cash booking to change it to point redemption but it didn't go back to inventory unfortunately Is there a certain delay? Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean because you said you cancelled a cash booking. Of course cash bookings will go back into the inventory if nobody else takes the room. But about canceling point bookings - a week ago, I canceled my two bookings Sat to Thurs, and Thurs to Sat but they only immediately put the longer points booking back into inventory. And then suddenly for only 24 hours the entire 7 days was available in the inventory. Then the 7 days changed back to the 5 days ever since. So, they play with these points inventories.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by scwam
I'm not sure what you mean because you said you cancelled a cash booking. Of course cash bookings will go back into the inventory if nobody else takes the room. But about canceling point bookings - a week ago, I canceled my two bookings Sat to Thurs, and Thurs to Sat but they only immediately put the longer points booking back into inventory. And then suddenly for only 24 hours the entire 7 days was available in the inventory. Then the 7 days changed back to the 5 days ever since. So, they play with these points inventories.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What I previously cancelled was a single night stay. And it didn't go back to inventory although it was a BAR one. But luckily I just decided to take a risk and cancelled another one, 2-night stay based on BAR. And it was redeposited right away so I could grab it with 240k points. So I have completed a 7-night stay based on point redemption in late Feb... awesome
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:33 am

Which two days were they? Like I mentioned before they seem to be not willing to release the Thurs/Frid I canceled. Also, what is BAR?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:35 am

Which two days were they? Like I mentioned before they seem to be not willing to release the Thurs/Frid I canceled. Also, what is BAR?
Not OP, but Best available rate.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:22 am

They were for Mon/Tue.

Originally Posted by NightFury1

Not OP, but Best available rate.
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Where I draw the line is on things like 2,000% markups on champagne as mentioned above which to me seems much, much more egregious - but I guess we all have our own priorities.
We certainly do. We've never wasted a single cent on alcohol poison so lucky for us the only 2000% markups we have to worry about are the transfer fees to and from the resort.....oh, and the food, LOL.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Once again, here's a map of the property. I recommend printing this map out and bringing it with you as it is far superior to the not at all detailed black and white map they give you on arrival.
Jeez. 2K for a room and they aren't even giving colour maps. WTH?
And very useful post, BTW!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Moflav

I booked with GetMyBoat. Once booked, the company sent me Mr. Moosa as my contact. Most likely, the company will not assign an operator until booked. According to the terms, there is a 100% refund if cancelled 5 or more days prior to the departure date. My experience so far is that my operator/contact responded to all of my questions promptly and in detail. His responses gave me some comfort in my decision to use this company. Perhaps, there will be reports of third party transfers to the WA prior to my booked transfer which is in November. I have not booked my return transfer to the airport as I want to see how the transfer from the airport to the resort goes first.
seems like the interface has changed since you last booked. Looks like you have to search the operators and coordinate with them.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by NightFury1
TD, how does this place compare to Bora Bora, I've read that you've been numerous times to BB and am interested in planning a trip myself after visiting this place.
Top hotels in the Maldives are significantly more luxurious than in Bora Bora. However you are stuck on your island / resort so there is less to do and you are captive. So if you want to relax, stay put, and be pampered, Maldives is better. If you are active and what to get around, Bora Bora is better.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Moflav

I booked with GetMyBoat. Once booked, the company sent me Mr. Moosa as my contact. Most likely, the company will not assign an operator until booked. According to the terms, there is a 100% refund if cancelled 5 or more days prior to the departure date. My experience so far is that my operator/contact responded to all of my questions promptly and in detail. His responses gave me some comfort in my decision to use this company. Perhaps, there will be reports of third party transfers to the WA prior to my booked transfer which is in November. I have not booked my return transfer to the airport as I want to see how the transfer from the airport to the resort goes first.
I am going in August. Just got an email from the hotel:

Kindly note with respect for our guests’ privacy and security, third party/ own transfer is not permitted to enter the resort.

Did anyone arrange their own transportation would like to share? Or everyone paid the $350+23.2% per person per way? Really not looking forward to pay the $1700 round trip for 2 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.