Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:44 pm

As I've said previously, some of you must be related to Summer Hull over on TPG. She is extremely critical of hotels and resorts when she stays on points, but is much more positive when paying for stays. She too tends to complain about the complementary breakfasts and lounge amaneities, but like her, now you can tell all of your friends and colleagues that you had a wonderful stay at the WA in the Maldives, despite living off of the breakfast buffet and evening snacks. BTW, can you shed any light on activities you participated in, such as SCUBA diving?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh

Here's the complimentary afternoon snack.
The left bottom row is a sample of some kind of meat, perhaps turkey.
Right bottom row is sample of salmon on cucumber.
1st top row sample of cut fruit.
Middle tow sample of desserts.
I passed on savory.
The desserts are mediocre.
Thank You for update what about drinks and mocktails?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:00 pm

Does anyone have pictures of the breakfast buffet items? I would love to see how the noodles and cold dishes look like. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NightFury1
Glad you had a good time!

They had a $298 set menu at Terra? Was that lunch or something or just a level lower than the $400 one?
They had two tasting menus when we were there; 298++ and 398++. Terra iirc is a dinner only venue - unless you want to sit directly under a full sun in 90% humidity.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Very good question;

Some of the rich(er) folks here who can afford to pay cash might get a little bit upset (or maybe laughing and possibly chocking on their marble grade 8-9 wagyu steak) that cash poor - points peasants e.g Alanslegal, need to resort to such unproper behaviour.
Im not sure (m)any people would get upset, but if you tried that and then missed your plane home I can bet youd have a lot of people saying I told you so.

I genuinely think that if the cost of a 30min yacht trip is a major issue, then you are going to have other problems in your $1,500 a night villa with $30 eggs and $400 NV bottles of champagne.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by TTT103
As I've said previously, some of you must be related to Summer Hull over on TPG. She is extremely critical of hotels and resorts when she stays on points, but is much more positive when paying for stays. She too tends to complain about the complementary breakfasts and lounge amaneities, but like her, now you can tell all of your friends and colleagues that you had a wonderful stay at the WA in the Maldives, despite living off of the breakfast buffet and evening snacks. BTW, can you shed any light on activities you participated in, such as SCUBA diving?
In my opinion it is legit to compare the breakfast offer with other maldivian hotels in the same price range.
According to the pictures and comments so far it is mediocre, subpar and of a limited choice.
Im happy if someone will convince me from the opposite.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by TTT103
I would have thought if there was a general tendency with regular people it is that people are positive when staying on points but more critical when paying cash because they demand more for their spend.

Perhaps she is critical when staying with points because she ends up staying where points have the most value rather than where she really wants to go so her natural inclination is to not be very happy because she is a slave of points valuation rather than making choices that suit her desires. Unlike when we book cash, we just go where we want to go
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:34 am

I plan to cancel my standard room points redemption this Friday evening U.S. time. It's two bookings Aug 10-15th and 15-17th.
In the meantime, I want to see if Hilton has those specific dates available for standard award over the next 4 days (didn't as of yesterday). Interested in seeing if they (won't) offer them again to someone else. It's become such a PITA over the past 4 years to use points anymore that cash bookings have increasingly better value with no-nonsense hotel options and much less time wasted. Still, I have had these points since 2011 to give you an idea. The idea of ease-of-use, less time spent, and real customer value for the $ paid comparatively to all options available aside of points within the same hotel class has been increasingly appealing over the years and points are well past the point of diminishing returns. To be honest, the only hotels I remember having been truly impressed were the ones where cash was paid.

Any of those here unconcerned about both value received for your dollars spent and affordability are welcome to rent out my beach house. Unfortunately they don't take points but I may be able to work out a small discount for you with the agent I promise you it's a tranquil experience worth your money. But then again, maybe for some of those here, money is no object. https://www.relaxonthebeach.com/gulf...azing-seahorse

Last edited by scwam; Jul 16, 2019 at 6:39 am Reason: add tongue n' cheek link
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh

Here's the complimentary afternoon snack.
The left bottom row is a sample of some kind of meat, perhaps turkey.
Right bottom row is sample of salmon on cucumber.
1st top row sample of cut fruit.
Middle tow sample of desserts.
I passed on savory.
The desserts are mediocre.

Today's complimentary snack.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:12 am

@Smurfettepharoh:
How was the freshness, taste, texture, & the delicateness of the 2nd round overall (1-10 scale)? Seems they might be reading the posts.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:34 am

A picture for any shell hunters. Found these in about 5 minutes walking in front of our room.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by scwam
@Smurfettepharoh:
How was the freshness, taste, texture, & the delicateness of the 2nd round overall (1-10 scale)? Seems they might be reading the posts.
Nothing really wowed us. The 3 sweet ones on row two were very nice. The blue-cheese (far left bottom row) was tasty.

TD
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:41 am

Turn down service treat.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by scwam
@Smurfettepharoh:

Please see post #1639 .
"wow factor" was absent I felt.
I passed on snacks and enjoyed fresh orange juice
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by escape4
I would have thought if there was a general tendency with regular people it is that people are positive when staying on points but more critical when paying cash because they demand more for their spend.

Perhaps she is critical when staying with points because she ends up staying where points have the most value rather than where she really wants to go so her natural inclination is to not be very happy because she is a slave of points valuation rather than making choices that suit her desires. Unlike when we book cash, we just go where we want to go
You raise an interesting point, but I just can't figure Summer out. She definitely comes across as feeling entitled. Now whenever I see her name on articles, I generally skip them or skim them. She may actually have something helpful to say, but her ripped jeans and living off of Brian Kelly paying her expenses to be an immature adult, clouds any substance she may write about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.