Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah

Speaking of food prices, I was at The Ledge the other night and one of their entrees was a type of beef I think prime rib listed at $350 per kg. That’s the exception though, of course, I think it was a special item for that night, they change the menu daily.

The free breakfast fast includes a full buffet and eggs cooked to order, choice from the menu of omelette, eggs Benedict, poached, over easy, sunny side up, etc. There’s no extra charge for the eggs.

Here’s a weird thing about the breakfast buffet. Every other buffet I’ve ever been to has packs of butter out, usually on ice, generally located somewhere near the breads.

Not here. The butter packs are kept squirreled away presumably under lock and key. You have to flag down a waiter and ask for butter. Then he’ll bring you a pack of Beillevaire butter a few minutes later. After a day or two you’ll learn to order butter when you arrive and order your orange juice.

I guess this is a luxury butter and the WA guests couldn’t be trusted to have free access to it on the buffet line, lest we would be lining our pockets with pack after pack of butter and stuffing our suitcases with it when we leave.

Now I guess their explanation could be “We want to make sure the butter is served at the right temperature, for your enjoyment and for food safety reasons, we don’t want to put out rock hard butter that’s hard to spread and then have it melt or get warm as it’s sitting out there on the line.” But they’ve got a yogurt/smoothie fridge they could keep the butter in there and give us free access to as much as they want, if they dare.

I'm wonderıng ıf they have honey out and avaılable or ıs that also consıder "hıgh rısk" ıtem?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They have jams and honey on the table in little glass jars.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
So we managed to fly Scare Asia then Lion Air to RGN, both flights costs less than a standard a la carte meal at the resort.

Anyway sorry to mislead you about the secret menu, there really isn't one That said, apart from the on-request french butter which was suggested to me by someone(/wont mention name or position) but high up on the WA/Conrad corporate ladder I would not have know either, anything you want or added to your dishes, the kitchen will gladly do it. For example we would ask for avocados (which is not listed or seen) with our eggs and out they would come, perfectly sliced. We would ask for certain cut fruits and out they would come, even though that fruit did not appear on buffet display in the week I was there.

Fruit juices; order what you want and in what combination thats not on the menu either.

It is a WA so I guess one should expect nothing less.

Do try eating the brown sugar, as I was suggested to do. And the yoghurt, apparently I have been told that its the only Maldivian property to serve that french branded yoghurt.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:11 pm

@alanslegal
I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question asked before.
1) Have you stayed at any other resorts in the Maldives before
1b) How is the WA compared to those resorts
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

So this yacht is leased from the Anatarra Resort (crewed by Anatarra staff wearing WA polo shirts as I was told by the crew) with at least one WA personal concierge on board. Soon there will be dedicated WA yacht concierge rather then relying on a personal concierge from the resort (who would be away from the property for 90 mins at the possible expense of their guests)

We had five on board and it felt rather cramped, we had to share a lounge with another couple. Onboard the WA yacht there is four separate inside areas for four couples could have their own space, some spaces could seat eight or so. Plus no wifi on board whereas the WA yacht did.

It is a nice yacht but, my comparison would be, like downgraded to business class after travelling first class.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal
So this yacht is leased from the Anatarra Resort (crewed by Anatarra staff wearing WA polo shirts as I was told by the crew) with at least one WA personal concierge on board. Soon there will be dedicated WA yacht concierge rather then relying on a personal concierge from the resort (who would be away from the property for 90 mins at the possible expense of their guests)

We had five on board and it felt rather cramped, we had to share a lounge with another couple. Onboard the WA yacht there is four separate inside areas for four couples could have their own space, some spaces could seat eight or so. Plus no wifi on board whereas the WA yacht did.

It is a nice yacht but, my comparison would be, like downgraded to business class after travelling first class.

Did they discount the transfer cost due to the yacht downgrade or offer any additional discount or apology at check out due to the Wednesday night fire alarm incident?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
@alanslegal
I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question asked before.
1) Have you stayed at any other resorts in the Maldives before
1b) How is the WA compared to those resorts
We have stayed at the Sheraton Full Moon once upon a time, the Conrad Maldives in 2017 and then this property.

For us, we are likely to spend 75% of our time in our villa and the WA villas blow everything out of the water (even comparing it to the Intercontinental Thalasso Bora Bora and Conrad Bora Bora). The base beach villas are special and I can say the photos/videos you seen online do not do it justice. High ceilings up to ~20 feet in some places, everything can be operated by an ipad (lights, curtains). There is a 2 meter high pendant light hanging off the ceiling, like really? You see these lights in hotel lobby / atriums or high void spaces. The pool, the gazebo, the day bed, the swinging bed, one had three areas to shower @ the beach, in your room, or your outdoor shower. Sure I miss a hot tub and the greenery is six month away from decent improvement but these are a negligible after seeing the benefits.

Service is superior to the Conrad Maldives - it is a Waldorf Astoria but maybe the staff are super excited and happy so that reflected in their work towards guests. Staffing knowing you, greeting you, opening doors, I had all levels of staff (director, managers, room boys) spend time with me chatting about the resort and life. Staff genuinely sad to see you leave (and vice versa). Blows away any service levels in French Polynesia (it's always 'island time' over there?)

Food and beverage - I was pleasantly surprised with what we sampled :- Tasting Table, Glow, The Ledge, Li Long and in-villa dining. We did not try The Rock US$295++ pp set menu or Terra US$298++ / US$398++ set menu as we could not justify the cost and Terra looked underwhelming from an ambience point of view. We try to be foodies and chase / hunt down Michelin starred restaurant / Top 100 restaurants etc but for some reason did not feel the energy in going to these fine dining restaurants.

There are a few other view points, some much more well travelled than I can chime in about their experience / comparisons.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Did they discount the transfer cost due to the yacht downgrade or offer any additional discount or apology at check out due to the Wednesday night fire alarm incident?
We were on the (mistake) $370++ per person round yacht trip deal so weren't too fussed at that point, and the fire alarm incident, we totally forgot about it at check out nor was it raised.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:01 pm

@alanslegal Thanks for the response! I am just debating between St Regis, and WA.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:30 pm

@alanslegal Thanks for the response! I am just debating between St Regis, and WA.
Can't help you with that comparison; the only St Regis properties we have stayed is Bangkok, Rome and New York.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Just checked in

After spending weeks on this post I was nearly put off staying here...

i will say, it’s absolutely fantastic.

I have nothing to complain about so far.

Lets see what the food and the rest of the stay will be like but the staff are excellent.

Now that I’ve been on the yacht transfer. I’d say that it adds to the experience.

This resort was not made for you HH point redemption people honestly. I’m just lucky I was able to stay on a points redemption and as a diamond member am treated quite fairly.

Dont be put off. The resort is fantastic.

Only hotels comparable for me to Waldorf is the st Regis. Ive found mandarin and the four seasons to be below both these brands.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
"Just checked in"
"I will say, it’s absolutely fantastic.
I have nothing to complain about so far."

Looking forward to a review later on.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by goliath
"Just checked in"
"I will say, it’s absolutely fantastic.
I have nothing to complain about so far."

Looking forward to a review later on.
​​​​​​
I would love to see your review on snorkeling and marine life experiences
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Staying in an overwater villa. Probably the best room I’ve ever stayed in.

Im 100% glad I picked this over the Conrad.

I am travelling with the family (wife and child) and therefore my objectives may not be the same as yours. For me the reef activities are not exciting. I’ve been to the barrier reef so this is just an added touch. If they didn’t have reef activities I would still stay here.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Rizla
This resort was not made for you HH point redemption people honestly. I’m just lucky I was able to stay on a points redemption and as a diamond member am treated quite fairly.
What do you mean by these sentences?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:00 am

I'm having the same debate myself with both reservations made for June '20. May wait for reviews from someone who has stayed at both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.