Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by escape4
Of the people at the resort now, which room did you book, and which room did you receive? Just scanning the last few pages it seems nobody is being upgraded? If so then I am surprised about the lack of upgrades, not a major issue but if I was GM of a new hotel I would want to be generous from the start and create good publicity. Also if nobody is being upgraded, people staying in non-Beach Villas are on cash bookings or paid upgrades in greater numbers than I expected.

Thanks to all who contributed tidbits of reviews during their stay so far. ^
Curious to know this, as well. And know what offers, if any, have been made for paid upgrades. Based on what has been posted, it seems the only difference in perks offered to Gold/Diamond is the free 30 minute add-on to a massage.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Curious to know this, as well. And know what offers, if any, have been made for paid upgrades. Based on what has been posted, it seems the only difference in perks offered to Gold/Diamond is the free 30 minute add-on to a massage.
Afaik that is correct

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I saw one not terribly chubby Chinese guy with a wife and young daughter today but he left Peacock Alley early at 4:30 after consuming only one Heineken so I figured he couldn't be an FTer.
Ha ha I might know who you were referring to but that's not me. I'm holed up in my villa now and staying put, it's in room dining on the deck for us.

And we received a bottle of Laurent-Perrier Rosè Brut.

The non grand cru Billecart-Salmon Brut champagne is $62++ per glass at dinner, crazy! So we drink up at breakfast when its complimentary
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Afaik that is correct

The non grand cru Billecart-Salmon Brut champagne is $62++ per glass at dinner, crazy! So we drink up at breakfast when its complimentary
I don't drink champagne so let me know if you want my bottle.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:20 am

I don't drink champagne so let me know if you want my bottle.
Mate that would be awesome, legendary FT spirit. I'll PM you.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Have any Golds stayed yet? Would be interesting to hear about the differences in benefits between Gold and Diamond, if any (apart from the spa discount which I won't be taking advantage of anyway).

Is the in-villa champagne the same? Broader snack selection for Diamonds? Different breakfast selection/a la carte menu? Any other points of differentiation?

Are Golds given breakfast too? The graphic you posted doesn't mention breakfast for Diamonds either...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:40 am

re: tennis courts, it is being built where my red dot is, just before crossing the bridge to the spa/gym and adjacent to staff quarters.

re: sunset/sunrise, i am guessing that its the yellow line or thereabouts, goes right to left.

I am guessing that none of the villas have actual sunset views from their deck (except ocean villas and private island) the closest BV that i would guess that have sunset views or at least from their beach would be near the wedding pavilion. The reef villas in the 500, 400, 300s would likely be blocked by neighbouring fences. (Seeing it from the wedding pavilion) Again I emphasise I am just guessing from my observations and island exploration.

re: upgrades, been told that occupancy is 80+% right now and will be higher as of next week, it doesnt help that the villas in 100s and 200s are not in service.

The resort is gigantic so if i had to do this visit again (and i might) my preference would be : beach villas in the 200s south facing, then 200s north, then low 600s north facing for sunset on the beach, if reef villas in the 300s or 400s, as for owvs, equally same as they are pretty much far away from everything hahaha i am pretty sure north facing rooms end up having distant lights from other islands that can be distracting. Not sure about south.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by Stivelio
Loved our dinner at Yasmeen. Here's the set menu that is recommended by the staff that we got.Menu B was way too much food for 2 of us ( more like food for 4)

What is the invoice like for this option B including all taxes and excluding tip.

Thank you,

Last edited by dimmedlights; Jul 8, 2019 at 8:10 am Reason: add
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal
re: tennis courts, it is being built where my red dot is, just before crossing the bridge to the spa/gym and adjacent to staff quarters.

re: sunset/sunrise, i am guessing that its the yellow line or thereabouts, goes right to left.

I am guessing that none of the villas have actual sunset views from their deck (except ocean villas and private island) the closest BV that i would guess that have sunset views or at least from their beach would be near the wedding pavilion. The reef villas in the 500, 400, 300s would likely be blocked by neighbouring fences. (Seeing it from the wedding pavilion) Again I emphasise I am just guessing from my observations and island exploration.

re: upgrades, been told that occupancy is 80+% right now and will be higher as of next week, it doesnt help that the villas in 100s and 200s are not in service.

The resort is gigantic so if i had to do this visit again (and i might) my preference would be : beach villas in the 200s south facing, then 200s north, then low 600s north facing for sunset on the beach, if reef villas in the 300s or 400s, as for owvs, equally same as they are pretty much far away from everything hahaha i am pretty sure north facing rooms end up having distant lights from other islands that can be distracting. Not sure about south.
I was told an hour ago that they are now at 50% occupancy and that the 100 villas are in fact all finished by the 200s are not. Who knows. You could ask twenty staff members and get twenty different answers I'll bet, especially since we're probably both talking to our concierges and F&B staff rather than to hotel reservations and front office people.

Edit: The 100s villas aren’t finished. They were fumigating out there today and you could see the fumigation fog from across the lagoon.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jul 10, 2019 at 3:21 am
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:32 am

For what its worth, and this will not be a surprise to anyone, I went to another dining venue today and the bill had the same itemization with Tip - $0.00 printed on the bill, then service charge, then tax, then later a line for you to write in your gratuity. And I did ask a staff member today if they receive the service charge and he said yes.

An interesting question here is, if I leave a tip on the bill charged to my room, who gets it? Does it all go to the waiter, or to the staff of that restaurant only, or does it go into the general "service charge" fund shared by all the staff?
I got a little more info on the service charge issue. I am told that all staff at the resort except the top executives all share equally in the service charges collected. Actually the resort keeps 1% of the amount collected for "administration" and the staff gets 99%. If you write a gratuity on your bill at the restaurant, that is shared by the staff of that restaurant only. If you want to give a personal tip to a particular staff member, you can hand him or her cash.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Firstly I would like to chip in with some thanks to the FT "pioneers" . Some very helpful information already . If I could ask a couple of questions they would be . What are the selected drinks that are available in the Nava Happy Hour ? and I read somewhere that one establishment has Shisha water pipes . Did anyone notice the price for this ? Im sure it will be a little more than the $5 I'm used to paying here in El Gouna Egypt ;-) . Responses appreciated .
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:50 pm

Yacht Cost

Have anyone stayed and reviewed the yacht costs? When first booking it stated it was $370/PP RETURN (roundtrip). Did any early bookers confirm that they honored the $370 roundtrip?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton
Alanslegal's observation is clear. Here is the sun path of July and Dec for this island. Just look at that yellow line.

It seems that the best position is BV 20x facing south in Dec. Unfortunately I am going in Oct, it seems that the best positions to watch sunset is the staff house
Attached Images   
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Are Golds given breakfast too? The graphic you posted doesn't mention breakfast for Diamonds either...
Yes full breakfast at Tasting Table is complimentary to both Diamonds and Golds.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Yes full breakfast at Tasting Table is complimentary to both Diamonds and Golds.
Impressed that Golds get treated so well. Was not expecting that they would also get access to the daily afternoon treats.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Impressed that Golds get treated so well. Was not expecting that they would also get access to the daily afternoon treats.
Agree, or a Diamond may claim that they're not being treated well enough.

But elite treatment - even Golds - seems very good at this property. Even though complimentary upgrades don't seem to be a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.