Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Stivelio
Loved our dinner at Yasmeen. Here's the set menu that is recommended by the staff that we got.Menu B was way too much food for 2 of us ( more like food for 4)

Doggy bag?

Bring the leftoveleftovers I am in villa 6xx haha just kidding

We had Glow tonight - feeling healthy and light on the stomach. Good food. Also The Ledge is delicious ( try the flat iron wagyu ... 200gms for $72++ ... and was awesome. Of course you can pay for better cuts but this one was so good imo)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:21 am

$72 is somewhat cheap for 200 grams Waygu even if it is only the steak. I think we pay around $150+ for 200 grams from upper middle tier Wagyu here in Tokyo in a 3-course meal. But typically less than 200g.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 7, 2019 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scwam
$72 is somewhat cheap for 200 grams Waygu even if it is only the steak. I think we pay around $150+ for 200 grams from upper middle tier Wagyu here in Tokyo in a 3-course meal. But typically less than 200g.
And US$72+ is at The Ledge by David Pynt (who is the guy behind Burnt Ends, Singapore - which ranked 59th in the world this year). Top bloke had a decent chat with him last night.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The setup here is far superior to the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island 100s beach villas, where you can't see the beach or ocean from your villa or deck. I'd much rather have the unobstructed view of the ocean and beach from my deck,even if it means the possibility of seeing, on average, one human being a day walking on the beach and him seeing me.
I agree completely. I would take this large pool with 180 degrees worth of unobstructed beach/ocean views over the Conrad DBVs. Same with you, the only person I have seen walk past our beach villa has been the workers who rake the sand once in the morning ... I only got a bit nervous because I doing my toilet business (too much info?) and whilst seated I could see past my bath tub, pool, plants and then they were raking along. But hey, those toilet seats are smart things? It opens up when I approach and when I leave it closes itself up.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:35 pm

In case anyone was wondering, I received word from the hotel that villas 205, 209, and 622 are the Two Queen Bedded Beach Villas. Note that there seems to be a conflict with what jphripjah was told in regards to 622.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:58 pm

Thanks a lot for posting the pictures/videos, can't wait to get there in January 2020

Just curious, what is the bubbly wine in the arrival gift for Diamonds? Also, how is the gift in general?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
New review from The Telegraph gives the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi 9/10 points

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...aafushi-hotel/
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by Moflav
New review from The Telegraph gives the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi 9/10 points

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...aafushi-hotel/
Paid reviews. I doubt the reviewer even stayed at the property. They also gave the Westin Maldives 9/10 for reference.

The picture of the lagoon water colour in the photos is grossly inaccurate (it’s much deeper and thus a much darker blue). They seem to be WA artistic renderings developed ages ago but with a keen stroke of aqua blue palette in Photoshop from the Marketing team.

I’ll stick with FT members’ real and honest reviews for the time being.

Last edited by Gold_Member; Jul 7, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:19 pm

WA responded to the 3 star trip advisor review and mentioned there will be a tennis court opening. I wonder were it will be, near the workman housing?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:57 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention the house reef yet. Is there one? Any underwater photos, esp of coral? Would love a review of the snorkelling or house reef diving.
CM Rangali is almost entirely devoid of live coral now, so unless the WA has great snorkelling I think I'll need to go south to the Shangri-La or somewhere.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
I haven't seen anyone mention the house reef yet. Is there one? Any underwater photos, esp of coral? Would love a review of the snorkelling or house reef diving.
CM Rangali is almost entirely devoid of live coral now, so unless the WA has great snorkelling I think I'll need to go south to the Shangri-La or somewhere.
if you see their insta, they pretty much just keep showing the turtle - probably it's the same turtle in all photos lol.
also i think the coral reef situation (if there is one to begin with) can be quite negatively impacted by construction, and takes a while to recover.

i am actually quite interested in knowing where in Maldives these days (post 2016/7/8, after the El Nino) actually have live corals.
as in, which resort (chain or non-chain, dont care) actually still have colorful house reef.

when i went to Maldives Complete - Resort Finder to search for the answer, by selecting "distinctive" for house reef quality index, i got 9 hits.
but i am not sure the information is up to date.

one of my biggest letdowns at CRMI was the coral situation, it's pretty much all bleached/dead.
it actually looks quite disgusting at low tide when you see the whitish/greyish stuff poking out (on the small island side)...

Are the Shangri-la corals still alive and colorful as of today?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:14 pm

Very much with you, wanting a resort with great live coral (and then decent food would be number 2 concern).
I was at CMRI this Easter just gone, and my mate at Shangri-la late last year. He is an experienced diver too and tells me that the coral was quite healthy. I have only his word, I should seek out the photos.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Me, wife and daughter are arriving on 14 July and staying for 5 nights. My five year old daughter is asking if there will be any kids to play with. Hence, anyone with kids in roughly the same age that will be there during this period?

I am also interested in if the snorkeling is good or not. Was at Conrad Maldives in 2013 and back then it was really good.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cynicor
I haven't seen anyone mention the house reef yet. Is there one?

I don't snorkel but I asked two staff members the best place to see fish and they both said the area from the wedding chapel to Yasmeen to villa 501 and around the bridge in that area. I did see some colorful fish yesterday when I waded about about 40-50 meters off my villa and hit a very small patch of coral right before the line where the ocean floor drops off into deep water.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:54 pm

https://www.wincastle.com.hk/files/t...and=1549009075

package offered by a tour agency
prices in HKD
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gnomey
https://www.wincastle.com.hk/files/t...and=1549009075

package offered by a tour agency
prices in HKD
Thanks what do E/N and PRPN mean on page 3? I’m having a little trouble understanding the pricing structure can someone give me an example of what’s included and how many nights using numbers on the sheet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.