Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The Stella Maris exclusive!

And I am back for a FT exclusive, managed to sneak onto the Stella Maris and what an amazing space it is. I know it is still undergoing its final touches but this will be a special place of absolute privacy. The floors are only temporary but you can just extrapolate what this freestanding over the water two storey residence will be like when its finally complete.

pool, deck, living room and bar:-

https://youtu.be/tlyKhx2aI7w

the upper level :-

https://youtu.be/E4ltnb4HzcI

Last edited by alanslegal; Jul 7, 2019 at 4:59 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Thanks to Alanslegal, jphripjah, Stivelio for all the fantastic reporting!

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I just experienced the breakfast and while I am not a "foodie" I can't see how any reasonable person would be disappointed by the breakfast offering. It's a good sized buffet with menu items cooked to order as well, 8 types cheese, 12 kinds of fruit, a large assortment of pastries, and plenty of bacon, potatoes, noodles, and salad, all served in pleasant surroundings close to the clear blue/green of the lagoon.
Does the diamond amenity for breakfast include ordering off the menu as well as the buffet?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Moflav
Does the diamond amenity for breakfast include ordering off the menu as well as the buffet?
Order off the menu I posted, plus buffet, plus anything else you want .... it's a Waldorf Astoria
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I figured I would do a quick review of one of the most talked about aspects of staying at Waldrof Astoria Ithaafushi, the yacht transfer. One of the reasons we’ve talked about it so much is that the cost is $350++ per person each way, which is higher than many poster here familiar with then Maldives believe is warranted for a boat transfer under one hour in duration.

My girlfriend and I landed at Male airport, and all passengers got off the plane and walked across the tarmac to immigration. Immigration lines weren’t long at all (under 5 minutes) but it’s not a bad idea to walk fast across the tarmac to get ahead of other passengers on your plane.

We were greeted by a guy holding a Waldorf Astoria sign who offered to take our luggage and told us we he was waiting for two other guests from a flight that had just landed. He gushed over me being a Diamond member and offered us a Wifi hotspot password. There didn’t appear to be free public wifi in the arrivals area.

The WA staff guy apologized that they don’t have a Waldorf Astoria lounge and said that in 2023 when the new airport opens they will use the “Aston Martin lounge.” He said that they are working on getting temporary lounge space until then.

He directed us to the airport’s “Coffee Club” restaurant and said we were welcome to have a coffee, which I assume WA would have paid for.

As we only had a few minutes to wait we sat down in the regular terminal waiting area and about 5 minutes later we were told the other passengers, two Chinese ladies, had arrived and it was time to go to the yacht. The yacht pulls up RIGHT outside the airport terminal, I’ve walked further to get a taxi at some airports. There were more WA staff out by the yacht, one of whom also gushed about my Diamond status.

Total elapsed time from us walking into the arrivals hall and us getting on the yacht and the yacht departing was roughly 25 minutes. The yacht ride is billed as 40 minutes long but actually look a bit over 50 minutes to arrive at the resort. So door to door, from stepping into the arrivals hall to arriving at the resort, was under 75 minutes.

This is much shorter than our two prior experiences with Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, where it took 1.5 - 2 hours from entering arrivals hall to taking off in the seaplane, including the drive to the seaplane terminal, and then the flight takes an hour (or an hour and a half if the plane stops at another resort en route).

WA has four yachts transferring passengers back and forth, day and night. I expect the departures from resort to Male airport will also be more seamless than at Conrad, where guests sometimes complain about being checked out earlier than necessary and then waiting at reception for the seaplane arrival, or of having to rush through the airport if they’re on a seaplane that arrives at the airport too close to their departure time.

Anyway, the yacht is nice, I’m not a boat guy, so I don’t know how nice it is. My “personal concierge” was on the yacht, the personal concierge for the two Chinese ladies ( a Mandarin speaker) was not.

My concierge — after effusively gushing about my Diamond status — offered us something to drink from the galley/bar he was manning. I asked what they had, and he said Coke, Sprite, and espresso. So I’m guessing there’s no alcohol available on the yacht. I asked him if he had ice for the Coke on this luxury yacht, he confirmed that of course he did, and then a minute later sheepishly admitted that there was no ice.

There was a plate out with mini sandwiches (tuna or cheese) and fruit.

The concierge explained that they don’t consolidate guests from different flights on the same yacht, when your fight arrives your yacht departs. But then he said something about consolidating guests when their flights arrive a few minutes apart. I don’t think the two Chinese ladies were on our flight, I think they were on a flight from Singapore or Beijing that landed at about the same time.

He also explained that they have hired and are training “yacht lady concierges” so that in the future the resort personal concierges won’t do the yacht trips, the yacht concierges will take care of you on the yacht and then hand you off to your personal concierge when you arrive at the resort.

The yacht ride isn’t terribly scenic. Male is kind of ugly, like most port cities. You pass a lot of under construction resorts. We could only see out the front or back of the yacht because the curtains on the side windows were pulled down the whole time, maybe to keep the yacht cooler. It looks like there’s a toilet on board though I didn’t use it.

We could sit outside by the back of the yacht or walk up to the top where the “captain” drives it.

After about 22 minutes we passed Vadhoo resort on the right and the ugly backside of the still under construction Curio and Hard Rock resorts on the right.

After a little over 50 minutes at sea we arrived at Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi, greeted by five or staff members waving to us as the boat approached. Not waving in a casual or friendly or natural way, but overenthusiastic waving and smiling for a prolonged duration like the way North Korean citizens might wave at a passing motorcade of Kim Jong Un, if they know what’s good for them.

Then we stepped off the yacht and all the staff standing on the deck burst into applause as if they’ve never seen anyone pay $350+ for a fifty minute boat ride before.

The end.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:16 am

I figured I would do a quick review of one of the most talked about aspects of staying at Waldrof Astoria Ithaafushi, the yacht transfer. One of the reasons we’ve talked about it so much is that the cost is $350++ per person each way, which is higher than many poster here familiar with then Maldives believe is warranted for a boat transfer under one hour in duration.
WA has four yachts transferring passengers back and forth, day and night. I expect the departures from resort to Male airport will also be more seamless than at Conrad, where guests sometimes complain about being checked out earlier than necessary and then waiting at reception for the seaplane arrival, or of having to rush through the airport if they’re on a seaplane that arrives at the airport too close to their departure time.
Your post is detailed and excellent;
I have been told differently about the number of yachts they have at the moment - my concierge says they is only one official Waldorf Astoria boat (you have seen it no doubt, I will post a picture of it shortly). They do charter other boats if they need to based on arrivals/departures - the yacht you were on was one of those and I'm not a boat guy either but the WA boat (although similar) looks much nicer because it is spanking brand new. I might feel a bit short changed if I wasn't on the WA boat.There is another WA boat that is currently being delivered to the resort (it might be stuck in customs according to my concierge).
Anyway missed you at Afternoon Tea but hope you're having a fabulous time here.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Then we stepped off the yacht and all the staff standing on the deck burst into applause as if they’ve never seen anyone pay $350+ for a fifty minute boat ride before.
ROFL

Thanks for the report!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
I just experienced the breakfast and while I am not a "foodie" I can't see how any reasonable person would be disappointed by the breakfast offering. It's a good sized buffet with menu items cooked to order as well, 8 types cheese, 12 kinds of fruit, a large assortment of pastries, and plenty of bacon, potatoes, noodles, and salad, all served in pleasant surroundings close to the clear blue/green of the lagoon.

You can sit inside in pleasant full air conditioned environment or outside by the beach. It's better than Atoll Market at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, in that it's more upscale and you're not in the midst of the water sports area.

Actually, the first thing I noticed was the size of the plates. They are huge. It's a well known strategy in Las Vegas buffets that if you stock the buffet with smaller plates, people eat less and waste less food. These plates were at least 12 inches in diameter.

It's a very nice set up, here are some photos, keep in mind I'm a terrible photographer.

Love the mangosteens!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
And I am back for a FT exclusive, managed to sneak onto the Stella Maris and what an amazing space it is. I know it is still undergoing its final touches but this will be a special place of absolute privacy. The floors are only temporary but you can just extrapolate what this freestanding over the water two storey residence will be like when its finally complete.

pool, deck, living room and bar:-

https://youtu.be/tlyKhx2aI7w

the upper level :-

https://youtu.be/E4ltnb4HzcI
Wow! Thank you for these exclusive videos! The Stella Maris villas look gorgeous, but I'm not keen about the lack of privacy from adjacent villas.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Wow! Thank you for these exclusive videos! The Stella Maris villas look gorgeous, but I'm not keen about the lack of privacy from adjacent villas.
Did I see "George the Crane" from the Conrad making an appearance in Vid 2 Upper level?
He's moved island's...😊
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:13 am

Thanks alanslegal, Stivelio, and especially jphripjah for the extremely informative writeup.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Classic, well played. ^

The end.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:34 am

Loved our dinner at Yasmeen. Here's the set menu that is recommended by the staff that we got.Menu B was way too much food for 2 of us ( more like food for 4)

Last edited by Stivelio; Jul 7, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by scwam
This is exactly what I would not want to expect at a resort of this level. This type of subdued pressure on patrons makes people uncomfortable. However, with these American conglomerates (btw I'm American), it doesn't surprise me. They need to change their greedy ways. With this alone, and I've never been to the Maldives, it is converse to everything I've ever read about the Maldives. Kind of disappointing actually, if they are not really subsidizing the servers with these fees.
For what its worth, and this will not be a surprise to anyone, I went to another dining venue today and the bill had the same itemization with Tip - $0.00 printed on the bill, then service charge, then tax, then later a line for you to write in your gratuity. And I did ask a staff member today if they receive the service charge and he said yes.

An interesting question here is, if I leave a tip on the bill charged to my room, who gets it? Does it all go to the waiter, or to the staff of that restaurant only, or does it go into the general "service charge" fund shared by all the staff?

Last edited by jphripjah; Jul 7, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
What are those lights in the distance?
Not Male, that's for sure. Another resort I guess as it doesn't look like a residential / built up island either.

I'll start with some tidbits and odds and ends. Things I have seen and heard since arriving. I'll post some proper reviews with photos later.
  • If you look at the map above, it says Sunrise at top of map and sunset at bottom of map. I'm not an astronomer but I think that's inaccurate. If I were drawing the map, I would draw a line above the circled three to the top right part of the map and write "Sunrise" there. And I would write Sunset more or less above the Spa and Wellness Center on the left side of the map
  • My dinner bill last night itemized the price of items, gave a subtotal then listed "Tip . . . . $0.00," the amount of tax, the amount of service charge, and then it gave a "grand total" before providing the lines to fill in room number, gratuity amount, and signature. I don't think I've ever seen a hotel print "Tip $0.00" on my dinner bill before. This strongly suggests that the resort does not consider the "service charge" to be a tip for staff. You may have just paid a $20 service charge on your meal, but you haven't tipped, that's the message I got. It makes me wonder where the service charge goes.
  • There are 11 restaurants but only 4 or so are open each night, so you have to plan accordingly, which is a little tricky as the resort doesn't yet publish a schedule of which restaurants are open each night. You're kind of expected to ask your concierge every morning what's open for dinner tonight.
I'm really suprised that the dimwit who made the map cannot differentiate between the directions on a compass and that the map is still like this. Unbelievable.
Second, it doesn't surprise me that this is another money-spinner and a way to trick guests, primarily Americans, into paying more.
And the restaurants, what a joke. Not knowing what ones are open on any given day is what I'd expect over here in mainland China. That's just so unprofessional for a 5-star resort, let alone a Waldorf.

The King Beach Villas (available for standard points award) are 208, 216, 220, 213, 601, 605, 609, 612, 613, 618, 622, 623, 625, and 628.
Very useful info but there is a problem with that. 208 is a suite. Are you able to ask again and confirm? I'll put them in the wiki once confirmed. Cheers.
Second thing is, how are they going to manage and make the most of their inventory (to get occupancy rates right up there) when they are not including all KBVs?

They expect to be busier in August.
Yup. They have package deals for mainland Chinese passport holders only (and their school holidays are in July & August). If anyone wants details I can post them.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
We enjoy the pool overlooking the beach however you can lack privacy (ie guests can see past your pool, into your open bathroom and into the back outdoor shower) IF they happen to walk by on the beach. Now for your neighbours, yes they can see you and vice versa. The fence could be another feet higher on one side, and the other side could have been extended further towards the beach by a metre or so.

My opinion on this, at least from the beach villa I'm staying in, is that I'm not terribly concerned about privacy or someone seeing into the villa. I think I saw one person walk by on the beach yesterday and one today. There is some foliage between my deck and the beach and the foliage is higher where the view from the beach would line up with the shower. Anyone walking along the beach would have to look past the foliage, over the 30 foot wide deck/pool, into the large sliding glass doors, over the entire bathroom and then through another glass partition at the far side of the bathroom to see someone in the shower. For a committed peeping Tom with binoculars lurking in the bushes, sure it's possible to get a good look into the shower.

But the average person walking along the beach isn't going to get an eyeful if he looks into your shower as he walks by, except maybe at night if it's dark outside and you've got the shower all lit up and your curtains open while you're lathering up in there.

I actually did a test this afternoon, I told my girlfriend to stand in the shower in her yellow dress and I'd go outside and try to look in, and by the time I go to the far side of the deck, before reaching foliage and the beach, I couldn't see her.

The setup here is far superior to the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island 100s beach villas, where you can't see the beach or ocean from your villa or deck. I'd much rather have the unobstructed view of the ocean and beach from my deck,even if it means the possibility of seeing, on average, one human being a day walking on the beach and him seeing me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.