Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Continental; American; Delta
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

fabergé

I am cracking up reading some of these posts!! Y'all are too funny!!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alanslegal
no transfer confirmation from resort yet but we will not get in touch with them because they said they will handle it a few weeks back. Let's see.
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
I like this experiment. So many variables, I'm curious to hear how this exactly plays out.
I'm in Male now (dont ask me about that Scare Asia flight from hell; I learnt a few new mandarin words, learnt to understand tone and sound levels do no matter to some people, that it's OK to climb up to the overhead lockers whilst plane is moving and just turned off the main runway, and what are seat belt signs on again for?) Anyway half a nights sleep to go before getting to this Waldorf Astoria.

Well MaldivesFreak was right, the Resort had contacted my ($40 for the night) hotel (about an hr before I had checked in) (maybe they did read my previous post and got their act together quick smart but I am just wildly guessing now).

I am scheduled on the 9am yacht so might make it in good time for breakfast (if they want me to hand over $50 for two hard boiled eggs I will submit and wave my white flag loud and proud).

Also I have been informed by my hotel that my taxi driver will drop me back off at the airport and telephone the WA representative so they can come and whisk me away to (a pretty sparse yet developing) paradise.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:23 pm

I'm in Male now (dont ask me about that Scare Asia flight from hell; I learnt a few new mandarin words, learnt to understand tone and sound levels do no matter to some people, that it's OK to climb up to the overhead lockers whilst plane is moving and just turned off the main runway, and what are seat belt signs on again for?) Anyway half a nights sleep to go before getting to this Waldorf Astoria.

Well MaldivesFreak was right, the Resort had contacted my ($40 for the night) hotel (about an hr before I had checked in) (maybe they did read my previous post and got their act together quick smart but I am just wildly guessing now).

I am scheduled on the 9am yacht so might make it in good time for breakfast (if they want me to hand over $50 for two hard boiled eggs I will submit and wave my white flag loud and proud).

Also I have been informed by my hotel that my taxi driver will drop me back off at the airport and telephone the WA representative so they can come and whisk me away to (a pretty sparse yet developing) paradise.
Thank you for the play-by-play updates! Glad you survived Scare Asia.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the update.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 4, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:22 pm

On board Ithaafushi Princess right now cruising to the resort .... sharing with 10 guests. So far so good.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:25 pm

On board Ithaafushi Princess right now cruising to the resort .... sharing with 10 guests. So far so good.
Any free booze?
LOL I replied to this in like 8 seconds.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:07 pm

Does it feel crowded with 10 other guests? Any refreshments on-board? Was there a boat lounge for pre-boarding waiting?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:24 am

Guys, I am wowed!!

Book here, spend up and worry about paying your credit card off later.

The beach villas are outstanding; it makes the Conrad Maldives DBV pretty average, similarly makes the Bora Bora Conrad pretty ordinary too.

All staff so far has been welcoming.

Let's see how the dining is over the first few days before I get back on that one.

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Does it feel crowded with 10 other guests? Any refreshments on-board? Was there a boat lounge for pre-boarding waiting?
Very spacious; it would be very comfortable with 8 I'd say though you could fit well over 16. We went from taxi and straight onto the boat so dont know where one would wait.

The 100s and 200s villas are not yet ready so they're out of service for the time being so my 200 choices were not on offer.

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
Any free booze?
LOL I replied to this in like 8 seconds.
No but the fresh juices were real deal.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 20, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: deleted quoted post
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
I arrive in 7 days. I am excited to tick another waldorf off my list.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:46 am

Swan meets Seahorse
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Love it! Is there much privacy at the beach villas like at the Conrad or is it more open?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
A 3* TripAdvisor review went on yesterday. Seems fairly subjective...

Has the potential to be a very nice resort...... but will never be the best (Due to type of lagoon)
Free Amenities : 6/10 (ie. no tennis court or free yoga)
Lagoon : Personally, 6/10 But it varies by person
Grounds : 6.5/10 (While organized in clean paths seem "fake" : due to the lack of plants. This problem will fix its self with time.)
Value : 5/10 (35% more expensive that other resorts ie. Reethi Rah)
Room : 9/10 (Very big and nice, but missing Maldivian touches and finishes)
Food : 8/10 (Lots of options, this will probably improve as kitchens get more experienced
Transfer : 6/10 Very nice 70ft yacht, but laking amenities to justify the price
Little touches : 9.5/10 lots of small touches in room
Service : 9.5/10 very passionate group of workers

SMALL BUT BIG PROBLEMS
(All of problems below are not to be snotty but to show where improvement needs to occur)
-Tree foliage and plant growth looks very unnatural and rushed(ie. very tall palm trees that have small leaves).
-Large beach villas are located near arrival pier, which detracts from the isolated feeling that is expected in the Maldives.
-Waiting time at Velana International Airport was longer than expected.
-Although the Yacht ride was fun, the price does not justify the offerings on it. (Subpar Drinks, Small cheap food offerings)

GOOD STUFF
-Good food offerings, 11 restaurants
-Spa is great, nice large selection
-Pools are nicely designed
-Villas are larger than most in Maldives

MUST WORK ON PROBLEMS
- Website for the 2020 calendar year bookings is "off". Grand Beach villa cost marginally more than a grand overwater villa. **Mistake**

PROBLEMS THAT WILL NEVER BE FIXED (DUE TO GEOGRAPHICAL REASONS)

-Island is very long, thus many golf carts are needed . Making walking from point A to point B an annoyance, because of the constant need to move aside.
-(Very Subjective) people come to the Maldives for large blue lagoons, where you walk 100m out and still be standing. NOT at the WA, the inner lagoon gets deep very fast. The area of clear water before the "drop-off" is subpar to other resorts.
-Lagoons at "sister-Hilton properties" are far superior, if your looking for lots of shallow clear water,

VALUE PROBLEMS
-While the cost of food at the property is mainly in line with luxury hotels the wine is about a 35% markup, making it one of the most expensive resorts for booze
-Be Prepared to pay 12$ for juice and 44$ for a pizza.
-1400$ in low seasons is very expensive, considering the amount of villas at the resort.

WHAT WOULD I PAY FOR A RESORT LIKE THIS (BEACH VILLA)

1200 IN HIGH SEASON -------> Real Price (1790)
670 IN LOW SEASON -------> Real Price (1200)

ALTERNATIVES TO WALDORF ASTORIA ITHAAFUSHI
-One and Only Reethi Rah 8/10
-Antara Kihavah 9/10
-Six Senses Laamu 8.5/10
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Brilliant
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors

Swan meets Seahorse
The fact that you can see the next door villa makes this look a bit like a suburban residential street instead of a Maldives resort. Hopefully the greenery behind will grow tall enough to provide proper partition between the villas.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:28 am

We landed at MLE airport around 2.30 pm local time and met the hotel receiving staff right outside the exit door who took us to one of restaurants inside the airport. They gave us a menu to order while we wait for them to receive another couple who hasn't showed up for about 30 mins now. They are going to wait for 10 more mins and start with us and another couple (just the 4 of us) on the yacht to the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.