Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Conrad Maldives also charges 15$ to fill
up inflatable toys, it is done and charged by the diving school.
After we made this experience once, we brought our own pump on our next stay.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Well, there's the first TA review now live.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ale_Atoll.html
Funny, I didn't know it was a bed & breakfast.....or an inn, LOL!
#69 of 91 B&Bs / Inns in South Male Atoll
Must take the cake for most expensive B&B / inn, that's for sure.

Anyway, onto more serious stuff. The review looks a bit plastic. The first two sentences are "Everything you’ve ever imagined the Maldives to be is true and more at the Waldorf Astoria. This is the epitome of understated luxury." sounds like something professionally written and out of a travel brochure or directly from their website.
Then there's a single sentence with what would be commonly found in a review by a normal traveller, i.e; not a blogger / reviewer. Then we move on to more cliches and advertising language with "The individual private villas are so chic and comfortable. Highlights include expansive views of the Indian Ocean, private pool and a glass floor in changing area."

And funny how there is mention of the quality of the food and the limited menu.....things that have been the topic of conversation here in the last week. Take this for example "The most surprising of all is that the food on the island was world class." but he says earlier that it's not his first trip to the Maldives and insinuates he has already had experience(s) with luxury resorts; "It’s not my first time to the Maldives and this resort has basically spoilt my ideals of what luxury could be." Hmmm.....my suspicions deepen.

Another thing that stands out and that is there's perfect English from a native speaker of the language then suddenly broken grammar ".....I especially enjoyed the casual restaurant by the food where the limited menu is all down to perfection." and a spelling mistake (could well be unintentional) in wether. That broken grammar is not something that is broken by word order, either.

Last but not least, there's a small contradiction with the fact that he travelled with friends but he says "Wether it’s for a romantic couples get away or a family trip"

I will check that TA account out when I come back from the gym tonight. It seems on the surface, at least from the profile, to be legit as there are 100+ contributions and 15 helpful votes but you never know. Could well be a shill account as it looks to be written for a purpose and then some broken English inserted to throw people off. That kind of distraction works well enough on a subconscious level but to someone whose profession is in the field of language it, and all the other anomalies, stand out like a sore thumb.

And a question for you guys that are very familiar with TA. Don't they have to get a minimum of 5 or 10 reviews before the hotel is given a, actual rating out of 5? Maybe it was like that before but has changed. Not sure.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jul 3, 2019 at 10:45 am Reason: Added more text
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mb123
Conrad Maldives also charges 15$ to fill
up inflatable toys, it is done and charged by the diving school.
After we made this experience once, we brought our own pump on our next stay.

I had inquired WA if they complimentary floaters.
She replied, "they have floaters."
so the answer, if the floaters are complimentary, remains unclear.

Last edited by Smurfettepharoh; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:33 pm Reason: add
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
Well, if this was indeed your question, then the question was unclear and I can't blame them for an unclear answer:

"I had inquired WA if they complimentary floaters."

Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
Maybe they had a difficult time with the definition of "Floater"

1. An undesirable person who hangs out in a particular area despite being discouraged not to

2. A piece of fecal matter that won't go down the toilet when flushed

3. A corpse floating on the water
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by Moflav
Maybe they had a difficult time with the definition of "Floater"

1. An undesirable person who hangs out in a particular area despite being discouraged not to

2. A piece of fecal matter that won't go down the toilet when flushed

3. A corpse floating on the water
A Floater is a number two.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Hey, we are not there yet but will be on the 5th. My notes says that @Stivelio will be arriving on same day, @jphripjah on the 6th and @Eschalon on the 7th.
The resort has not confirmed our pick up / yacht time (and we are about 40 hours out assuming we get the 10am boat)
Our flight gets there around 2.30 pm local time and so you will be probably be the first to arrive there. I will have to call the property and get my pickup confirmed. I have been really busy with work and forgot to send them the flight details.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

Arriving July 7

Yes, I arrive July 7. I will send an email to inquire on my yacht transfer.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:51 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
So its 4pm Maldivian time on the 4th, we arrive later tonight for supposedly an early morning yacht ride to the resort tomorrow .... no transfer confirmation from resort yet but we will not get in touch with them because they said they will handle it a few weeks back. Let's see. Wish us a comfy economy flight on Scare Asia 72 from KUL now.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:58 am

So its 4pm Maldivian time on the 4th, we arrive later tonight for supposedly an early morning yacht ride to the resort tomorrow .... no transfer confirmation from resort yet but we will not get in touch with them because they said they will handle it a few weeks back. Let's see. Wish us a comfy economy flight on Scare Asia 72 from KUL now.
I like this experiment. So many variables, I'm curious to hear how this exactly plays out.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If they know your flight details, it should be a matter of you land, you look for the dude holding a placard with your name, and if he's not there, you ask another dude holding a totally different placard "Where'e the booth for Waldorf Astoria Ithaafushi"? And if that doesn't work, ask for the booth for Conrad and then tell them to find the WA rep. Then they take you to the yacht. I think.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:46 am

He's overnighting IIRC. The resort will contact the hotel and let him know transfer times but yes, there should be someone there at arrivals for the meet n greet.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Rizla
One guy is complaining about 6USD per night!!!
I think me may be referring to me. IIRC the question was asked if anyone had been charged the USD6 per night per person tax on a points booking.’I said I had.

not sure you could really call that ‘complaining’.

However I will be asking HH to refund this if I shouldn’t have paid it
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:11 am

Can someone please direct me to the post that had info about the best rooms for views and privacy for BV and RV?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Continental; American; Delta
I am requesting a $75 Male excursion (to the airport) and not coming back ha ha ha
This is hysterical. Literally laughed out loud!! Seriously though, why couldn't this work???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.