Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by gallagher
MF - I wouldn't expect this basic question from you? - WA Maldives as per the thread title
Yeah, my bad I suppose. You said Feb 1 and I thought those charges had been on your bill at checkout somewhere else in the country. Did you pre-pay those costs on your points booking or they are showing on your reservation details / confirmation email?

Originally Posted by NYC_1
Those GREEDY SOBs. The outrage! These slimy capitalist thugs should be ashamed of themselves.
I'm not sure what to make of that since I see a like from you on my peestake post but anyway.....
It's fine to be a capitalist and in business, proudly advertising that you are providing 'an awesome and unforgettable experience' but when greed is so blatant it ruins the holiday experience. Unless of course there are people who think like this:
Rich dude #1 : "Hey dude, let's go to the Maldives to get fleeced."
Rich dude #2 : "Awesome dude! When do we leave?!"
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Of course, there are those who would point out that going to Maldives is volunteering to get fleeced. You are paying a price premium for a combination of direct flights from convenient places, well known brands and an enviable reputation.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:16 pm

Sure. Thing is, if every new resort were to do the same as the WA are doing, prices would go the way of Venezuelan inflation.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
More and more online Menus are showing up at the website, like the one from breakfast, which is rather disappointing:
https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/r...u_Jul_2019.pdf
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by mb123
More and more online Menus are showing up at the website, like the one from breakfast, which is rather disappointing:
https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/r...u_Jul_2019.pdf
Yeah, I too noticed that. Those are $29 pairs of eggs (after tax $35) but with limited alternative menu selections. Unless there is some buffet on tap as well. Even at one 5* hotel restaurant we went to in the Turks and Caicos, they had several pages of options. The Tasting Table breakfast options barely look like they would fit on one actual menu page. I'm quite disappointed in what I'm seeing so far and eagerly waiting on the FT members' thoughts whom are staying there now. I hope they are not swayed into being subjective through preferential treatment.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 2, 2019 at 5:43 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scwam
Yeah, I too noticed that. Those are $29 pairs of eggs (after tax $35) but with limited alternative menu selections. Unless there is some buffet on tap as well. Even at one 5* hotel restaurant we went to in the Turks and Caicos, they had several pages of options. The Tasting Table breakfast options barely look like they would fit on one actual menu page. I'm quite disappointed in what I'm seeing so far and eagerly waiting on the FT members' thoughts whom are staying there now. I hope they are not swayed into being subjective through preferential treatment.
This looks a little like the menu at the St Regis Vommuli where you can order from the menu and have free rein at the very extensive buffet of cold options. I would expect this to be similar at the WA
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
This looks a little like the menu at the St Regis Vommuli where you can order from the menu and have free rein at the very extensive buffet of cold options. I would expect this to be similar at the WA
But the Menu at the St. Regis Vomulli has far more choices and 5 Menu pages only for food, several pages for tea and coffee and an extensive buffet with hot and cold options.
The current a la carte Menu at the WA is not comparable to St Regis at all !
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Im not sure ive ever seen so many people moan and complain about a place before they have even visited.

Nothing wrong with the menus and the pics so far.

If you cant afford it then you cant afford it, most people here seem to think because they have points, they are entitled to a cheap stay. Its a damn 1400 per night minimum hotel.

Apart from the transport, ive have seen nothing else to complain about!!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:31 am

I wouldn't quite agree. Although I've never been to the Maldives, and maybe this breakfast menu should be only compared regionally vs. against around the world. And, it is possible the online menus may differ drastically from the in-house menus. For the $1400/day expense as you say, and being a 5*+ hotel, comparatively speaking against other tropical destination offerings, I'd still expect to see a little more content & diversity than what's offered online here. Not sure about you, but I do in fact check menus before I travel.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 2, 2019 at 8:12 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:30 am

Yeah, I too noticed that. Those are $29 pairs of eggs (after tax $35) but with limited alternative menu selections. Unless there is some buffet on tap as well. Even at one 5* hotel restaurant we went to in the Turks and Caicos, they had several pages of options. The Tasting Table breakfast options barely look like they would fit on one actual menu page.
I see only the singular form of egg in that menu. Everything suggests a single egg; "Poached Egg", "Scrambled Egg", "Hard-boiled Egg" etc, and it wouldn't surprise me if they ask "How many eggs would you like, Sir / Madam?" and charge you for each one.

I'm quite disappointed in what I'm seeing so far
Yes, it's a pathetic menu, especially for a luxury 5-star property they are aiming to be. Vilu's breakfast menu kicks butt and wins hands down here, I'm afraid.

.....eagerly waiting on the FT members' thoughts whom are staying there now. I hope they are not swayed into being subjective through preferential treatment.
Oh don't you worry, there will be plenty of preferential treatment going on, that I can assure you. The GM (or his assistant) is most certainly reading this thread and probably know who everyone is here and will act accordingly during their stay.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Sep 9, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:36 am

Maybe the breakfast menu will be different in the Restaurant than online, maybe they have daily changes, but the WA has to compete with other hotels like the St Regis, that are comparable in price and standard. And if this menu is all they offer as a la carte options that you can order, in addition to the buffet, then it is disappointing.
As Maldivesfreak wrote, even the breakfast menu at Vilu is more extensive!
I stayed at the St Regis Vommuli and also have a booking for the WA, so of course I will compare what they offer.
But I hope our fellow Flyertalkers , who will arrive this week, will post their impression soon.

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I see only the singular form of egg in that menu. Everything suggests a single egg; "Poached Egg", "Scrambled Egg", "Hard-boiled Egg" etc, and it wouldn't surprise me if they ask "How many eggs would you like, Sir / Madam?" and charge you for each one.
Damn! Even as careful as I am (I usually prefer scrambled eggs or Eggs Benedict, which often comes in pairs), I hadn't thought of the other single "egg" options which do indeed say "Egg of your choice." You're funny! Looks like we're going to have to boil the details down to how many eggs one can get! One egg scrambled....I mean how big can that be? Don't steal my eggs!

Last edited by scwam; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mb123

But the Menu at the St. Regis Vomulli has far more choices and 5 Menu pages only for food, several pages for tea and coffee and an extensive buffet with hot and cold options.
The current a la carte Menu at the WA is not comparable to St Regis at all !
Having been there I thought it was effectively quite similar, when you strip out the alcoholic drinks and other drinks from the menu, we only had about 4 or 5 things in Vommuli as I recall that we actually ordered, although I am sure there were more.

I don't get the .....ing about this property, if you don't like the offer, don't go, it's pretty simple isn't it? You always have the overdeveloped Conrad Rangali with its undersized and underspecced rooms (and I have been there too but could never go back after staying at the SR).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:48 am

$29++ For a hard Boiled Egg ... now I'm laughing
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by llfoster
$29++ For a hard Boiled Egg ... now I'm laughing
At those prices it would be better value to take out the Amex Platinum card to get free Hilton Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.