Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jamal06
I am intrigued on the thought process of getting to this price. Surely they thought "We'd be giving it away at $86,140 and we no one in their right mind would pay $86,150 so lets go $86,144 and see how many takers we get".
I will wait til they drop it to $86,139 and then snap up em’ all up. So buy them while you can!

For that price they actually only need to have one bottle on hand. They could hire a private jet to bring in the replacement bottle.

TD
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Packed my bags (giant swan and giant peacock floats included) ...

Spending a few days in KL giving us time to analyse those just released menu prices.
Malaysian customs got excited when they screened my checked luggage, saw large plastic items, densely squashed inside (and swan has lots of colourful feathers inside), they thought they had found something of (illegal) significance ..... too bad they got disappointed when they are ... just things for the pool.

Ok folks I am not the WA target market but I am going anyway (and its too late to cancel 96hrs out). Might feast at complimentary afternoon tea and then fast until complimentary breakfast and when its time to leave, I am requesting a $75 Male excursion (to the airport) and not coming back ha ha ha
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I am requesting a $75 Male excursion (to the airport) and not coming back ha ha ha
I am curious how they are going to pull this off without having a mass riot. My wife, child and I can do the Male excursion for $225++ trip for up to four hours. Presumedly round-Trip But they are selling a $350++ one-way trip for one person, with no 4-hour tour of Male. You would have to assume someone in marketing has determined there is a serious disconnect there. Perhaps they use the 4-person paddle boats for the excursion?

TD
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:44 am

Tangled menu is now up on the hotel website. $52 for non-vegetarian ramen. Wok and noodle dishes are generally in the $30s to mid-$40s range.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:04 am

You see this kinda crap when people (read shareholders and their representatives) get greedy. Their prices are abstract and all over the place with no logic behind them and you have more than one person deciding on and implementing them and often overriding the person who should be in charge of it. The 'private' transfer is a good example. I would bet an arm and a leg that someone sensible looked at the competition and what was on offer (i.e; boat vs seaplane), decided to price it return then some greedy pencil-pushing suit (read majority shareholder who has money but little or no experience in this industry let alone the Maldives) came in and said "Screw that. Double it!" with a big smirk on his face. Their room rates are possibly now starting to reflect this. You could just see the big egos of those fat bar stars rubbing their hands in glee when they thought that just because they've got a huge, brand spanking new resort and a rich target market, they were gonna get whatever the hell they wanted for it. I mean $1000 for dinner in a cage on a stilt which has no view of anything after sunset. Gimme a break!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:26 am

They have $45 cocktails on one of the menus too. I wonder if there is a happy hour time applying to those particular cocktails.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 1, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You see this kinda crap when people (read shareholders and their representatives) get greedy. Their prices are abstract and all over the place with no logic behind them and you have more than one person deciding on and implementing them and often overriding the person who should be in charge of it. The 'private' transfer is a good example. I would bet an arm and a leg that someone sensible looked at the competition and what was on offer (i.e; boat vs seaplane), decided to price it return then some greedy pencil-pushing suit (read majority shareholder who has money but little or no experience in this industry let alone the Maldives) came in and said "Screw that. Double it!" with a big smirk on his face. Their room rates are possibly now starting to reflect this. You could just see the big egos of those fat bar stars rubbing their hands in glee when they thought that just because they've got a huge, brand spanking new resort and a rich target market, they were gonna get whatever the hell they wanted for it. I mean $1000 for dinner in a cage on a stilt which has no view of anything after sunset. Gimme a break!
Those GREEDY SOBs. The outrage! These slimy capitalist thugs should be ashamed of themselves.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:04 am

Not really getting that tropical island vibe from this video. Beginning to lose confidence. I've got 4 days left to cancel my week-long J.A. Manafaru booking for $3.6k and 8 days left to cancel my Faarufushi booking for $5k. Food is not looking too stellar either.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 1, 2019 at 10:39 am
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:35 am

Everything seems super crowded. I feel like it needs to be more spread out.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by dcht
Everything seems super crowded. I feel like it needs to be more spread out.
Tell us more...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Tilly71
Tell us more...
Sorry, that was in response to the video posted above. I'm not at the resort.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:07 am

“You can see Male in the horizon right off of the patio of this reef villa” LOL just what I wanted... spectacular? so much for a secluded resort experience.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
All along, proximity to Male has been the deal-breaker for me.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Which property was this?

MF - I wouldn't expect this basic question from you? - WA Maldives as per the thread title
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1

If you eat at the bar, it can be like ~$50-$70 pp. Mandhoo and Vilu are also good alternatives but I’d budget more like $100 pp there.

I had budgeted $2k for 5 nights for Conrad dining and could eat comfortable for both lunch and dinner at places like Ufaa, Sunset Grill, and Ithaa.

Im budgeting 2k at WA for food also and looks like I’m not eating dinner...
looks like you get one bottle of wine as your meal then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.