Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Let's say I have a $10,000 spend, will I earn 300,000 points? [that's around 4 nights at the Conrad Rangali]
Yes, but watch out for the limit (from the Hilton Honors terms and conditions) -

Members may not accrue more than 100,000 Base Points during one stay, regardless of the amount of eligible folio charges, except for Canopy by Hilton, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton, and Waldorf Astoria Jeddah Qasr Al Sharq hotels for which there is no cap.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:44 pm

Keep in mind not 44x per dollar spent because Hilton non CC spend does not apply to taxes and fees which usually are a good 15%-20% chunk. My guesstimate puts it around 35x.

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Yes, but watch out for the limit (from the Hilton Honors terms and conditions) -

Members may not accrue more than 100,000 Base Points during one stay, regardless of the amount of eligible folio charges, except for Canopy by Hilton, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton, and Waldorf Astoria Jeddah Qasr Al Sharq hotels for which there is no cap.
Yep just to add though, the 100k max is per stay from Hilton, so you will still get 14x CC spend if you use your card, netting you 114k points for $10k spend, which is so much less than 440k points.

Edit: my math is terrible, its 140k from CC spend if you spend 10k.

Last edited by NightFury1; Jun 24, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
14 points per $ on a credit card... Wow.

People in the US have no idea how good they have it when it comes to credit card benefits!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NightFury1
Yep just to add though, the 100k max is per stay from Hilton, so you will still get 14x CC spend if you use your card, netting you 114k points for $10k spend, which is so much less than 440k points.
Well, no. The limit is 100000 base points, not total points. So with $10000 spend, not counting taxes and service charges (given Diamond and double points promotion), 300000 points are earned. Any credit card points are additional.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
I can't believe your math is that bad. 14 points per dollar on a 10K spend nets 140K, not 114K. Duh.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I can't believe your math is that bad. 14 points per dollar on a 10K spend nets 140K, not 114K. Duh.
fk youre right... Forgive me I just arrived in japan and jet lag is a ......
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
14 points per $ on a credit card... Wow.

People in the US have no idea how good they have it when it comes to credit card benefits!
It's all relative to each person. 14x points in my own value equates to about 3.5% - 5% return on that card. Others will crazily say 15%. IMHO, Hilton points are realistically valued atm between $0.0025 to a max of $0.0035 (the higher being in most cases what you would normally agree to the value of what you think the room is really worth in cash). Blogs like to push this 3 to 4x more than what I perceive for dramatic intent. For me 1/2 cent value per point has been out the window since 2017. There is a better bet IMO, in getting comped drinks/dishes/upgrades/taxi rides based on loyalty in these cases, particularly with properties under update or trying to make a name for themselves due to whatever changes or inadequacies they've recently had.

Last edited by scwam; Jun 24, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by scwam
It's all relative to each person.
No, it's down to location of that person.

14 points per $ spent in the USA on that Hilton card.

In the UK, on my Hilton Barclaycard you get (I think) 4 points per (so just over 3 points per $).

That's the best you can do here. Amex cards provide an even worse rate of return for Hhonors points.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Here's the Spa Menu. I'm not a spa guy, so I won't be partaking.

I note that it says prices are subject to service charge tax and credit card surcharge.

Is the credit card surcharge because the spa is independently run?

I mean, WA wouldn't charge us a credit card surcharge on checkout when we settle all our room charges, would they?

https://www.scribd.com/document/4144...toria-Spa-Menu
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Notice: This document has been removed from Scribd.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goliath
Notice: This document has been removed from Scribd.
Thanks, here are the relevant pages:

https://imgur.com/doQuSA0

https://imgur.com/DKkzmV3
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
No, it's down to location of that person.
I agree with you that it would be partially based on the location of the bank's country the points are being earned from. But in the entire context, the property location vs. the lowest advertised cash price of equally rated hotels along with a possibly lesser personally perceived cost which you are willing to pay are equally considerable. In any case, your points value relative to you are different than my points value relative to me. Of course, status throws a wrench into the equation.

Last edited by scwam; Jun 25, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:57 am

Well, at least there seems to be some actual photos in this one:

I just wish the IHG opened 1 month earlier as I've had a feeling IHG will give Waldorf a run for its money:

Last edited by scwam; Jun 25, 2019 at 11:12 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by scwam
It's all relative to each person. 14x points in my own value equates to about 3.5% - 5% return on that card. Others will crazily say 15%. IMHO, Hilton points are realistically valued atm between $0.0025 to a max of $0.0035 (the higher being in most cases what you would normally agree to the value of what you think the room is really worth in cash). Blogs like to push this 3 to 4x more than what I perceive for dramatic intent. For me 1/2 cent value per point has been out the window since 2017. There is a better bet IMO, in getting comped drinks/dishes/upgrades/taxi rides based on loyalty in these cases, particularly with properties under update or trying to make a name for themselves due to whatever changes or inadequacies they've recently had.
Agreed. I'd also say that the relativity is part of what makes it fun for each person.

Most blogs seem to put Hilton points at around 0.5cpp value. On most Hilton Hotels that I would otherwise pay cash for, I seem to be able to normally get about 0.3-0.4cpp. However, in Bora Bora or in the Maldives, you can get values more like 1.2-1.8cpp. While I wouldn't pay full cash for that, I would in some cases (and have, in some instances... like when I have filled in some missing days in Bora Bora using cash combined with some offers timed with using Ebates for some significant Cashback/AmexMR) pay like 50-80% of the cash rate in some of these locations. So while I wouldn't say I'm getting the full raw redemption value of 1.2-1.8cpp, I'm still getting way more than the 0.3-0.4cpp that I would on some other redemptions.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Here's the Spa Menu. I'm not a spa guy, so I won't be partaking.
The Spa menu is now on the Waldorf Maldives website:
https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/e...ties/spas.html
Here is the pdf (prices on the last page):
https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/r...u_Jun_2019.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.