Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
From reviewing the videos, to me the restaurants look underwhelming. Yasmeen looks artificial, Li Long looks like a glorified restaurant and Terra, the idea is there but it looks sparse and not as private / romantic / intimate.
I believe the overall experience at WA will be amazing! Counting the days til we get there. But have to agree about the restaurant opinions above.

Just coming back from two days at Disneyland, Yasmeen looks like a restaurant they would have. Fake, with no real “essence” of the actual thing. I predict the food will be great.

One can only hope they remove/rethink the wicker park bench from Terra. At, what will more than likely be a $250++ PP dinner, they need to give you a proper place to sit for a couple hours. Or they can claim the worlds most expensive picnic meal.

TD
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:55 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
Spot on. Private beach dinner and Decanter dinner at St.Regis will be hard to beat. However for an entry level room there is no comparison possible - WA is worlds apart from the garden villa at St.Regis. Comparing overwater villas might be more debatable but I think WA will win out as well. Vegetation is a work in progress.
Or another comparison, the WA OWV product will beat any standard OWV in Bora Bora. Which OWV has a 10m x 4m plunge pool, floating day bed, in-pool sun loungers, another separate day bed, dining table and chairs! If I get sick of the other half, we can occupy opposite ends of the pool.

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

I believe the overall experience at WA will be amazing! Counting the days til we get there. But have to agree about the restaurant opinions above.

Just coming back from two days at Disneyland, Yasmeen looks like a restaurant they would have. Fake, with no real essence of the actual thing. I predict the food will be great.

One can only hope they remove/rethink the wicker park bench from Terra. At, what will more than likely be a $250++ PP dinner, they need to give you a proper place to sit for a couple hours. Or they can claim the worlds most expensive picnic meal.

TD
We are counting down the days too! It can be too easy to judge from a photo but once you are there I am sure everything will change >100% in a better way when you have everything aligned. Imagine having positive thoughts, being in holiday mood, glorious sun, soft sands between your toes, the delicious smells, decadent decoration, luxurious settings, relaxing villas and excellent hospitality .... this can only lead to one thing, amazing. My anticipation to stay at this hotel is incredibly high so let's hope they live up to it!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
4 tables outside at the Chinese Restaurant.
Working there is going to be like Groundhog Day for the staff.

"Can we book one of those tables?"
"Fully booked tonight, unfortunately Sir/Madam. We can accommodate you inside."
"Hard pass."

Repeat ad infinitum.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Talking

Or another comparison, the WA OWV product will beat any standard OWV in Bora Bora. Which OWV has a 10m x 4m plunge pool, floating day bed, in-pool sun loungers, another separate day bed, dining table and chairs! If I get sick of the other half, we can occupy opposite ends of the pool.

We are counting down the days too! It can be too easy to judge from a photo but once you are there I am sure everything will change >100% in a better way when you have everything aligned. Imagine having positive thoughts, being in holiday mood, glorious sun, soft sands between your toes, the delicious smells, decadent decoration, luxurious settings, relaxing villas and excellent hospitality .... this can only lead to one thing, amazing. My anticipation to stay at this hotel is incredibly high so let's hope they live up to it!
OK, now I am officially part of the WA Maldives obsessed group who counts down days and checks this thread 10 times a day looking for any additional info, videos and pics.

Here is some additional info for those interested in transfers from the airport to the resort.

Atolltransfer.com is charging $580 round trip for a speedboat that holds a maximum of 6 passengers. The reviews on this company are mostly good but I am still debating the cost/benefit of a beautiful yacht provided by the resort vs a small speedboat with a potentially bumpy ride. According to the reviews, some of the boats provide plastic bags for seasickness. Yep, the internal debate of convenience vs cost savings ($1000) which could buy you a few dinners at the resort - if you are able to eat after a speedboat ride
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
What's the latest in terms of breakfast benefits for Golds at this property? Has anyone with a booking been in touch with the hotel to confirm?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
What's the latest in terms of breakfast benefits for Golds at this property? Has anyone with a booking been in touch with the hotel to confirm?
There is no reason as far as I can see based on the T&C especially for this brand to be exempt from free breakfast. There was also nothing I could remember last time I checked the T&C, member benefits comparison chart, etc that states breakfast is up to the property either. That breakfast there will be running around like an unrestrained kid at $100 for parents with 1 child.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:11 am

Do we know if all the restaurants will be open when the resort opens to the public?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
WA Maldives hardware will exceed Bora Bora hardware at any BB hotel that I know of, by a greater margin than it will exceed StR Maldives. The luxury level in the Maldives is simply higher than in BB generally speaking. Soft product remains to be seen but for the hard product I am quite sure that WA Maldives will crush Conrad BB or any other option in BB such as StR, IC, Sofitel, or FS.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm a Diamond member booked there in early July. Got this email from Adam Areef (formerly of CMRI) today:

Greetings from Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi, an escape for unforgettable experiences.

Thank you for your loyalty towards Hilton Portfolio of brands and we are honored that you have chosen to redeem your stay with us. It will be an absolute pleasure to welcome you to our beautiful island.

We are reaching out to you in advance to make necessary arrangements for your island transfers. We kindly request for your arrival and departure flight details in order for us to arrange the transfers. Also please advise us full name of your travel companion to update your reservation.

Delighted to inform you that we have luxury yacht transfers for all our guests and is a 30 minute ride from Velana International airport which can be arranged 24/7 according to your international flight arrival time. Transfer fee is at US$350+23.2% Tax and service charge per adult per way.

Also we would like take this opportunity to highlight the Hilton Honors benefits exclusively for Diamond members:

Complimentary breakfast at our all day dining restaurant, Tasting Table.

In-villa VIP welcome Champagne, sweet and savoury amenities

With a selected 60-minute massage, enjoy a complimentary additional 30-minute at Waldorf Astoria Spa

Complimentary daily afternoon delights with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley

50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30.

Due to the very special nature of the accommodations at our resort we are exempted from complimentary villa upgrade policy.

Please be advised that member benefits are applicable for the member and one more guest sharing the same villa.

To make your stay with us even more special, we recommend upgrading your villa to a higher category for your upcoming stay, either for entire stay or partial stay. Please do let us if you are interested in a villa upgrade to check the availability and prices.

Should you require any further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:08 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Complimentary daily afternoon delights with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley
50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30.
Due to the very special nature of the accommodations at our resort we are exempted from complimentary villa upgrade policy.
Thanks for sharing. Happy hour is a significant plus, the lack of upgrades is a disappointment although nothing prevents them from promising nothing at all but upgrading nonetheless. I would be surprised if nobody gets upgrades when the property has availability.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Thanks for sharing. Happy hour is a significant plus, the lack of upgrades is a disappointment although nothing prevents them from promising nothing at all but upgrading nonetheless. I would be surprised if nobody gets upgrades when the property has availability.
I'm no expert on these properties, but given a lot of HIlton and Conrad properties that SHOULD have to upgrade Diamond guests don't seem to bother, I doubt the WA Maldives - who don't have to - will bother.

I'd imagine heavy spending returning guests may well get upgrades, but a Diamond on their first trip? I'd say the chances are close to zero unless occupancy is oversold in the beach villas.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm no expert on these properties, but given a lot of HIlton and Conrad properties that SHOULD have to upgrade Diamond guests don't seem to bother, I doubt the WA Maldives - who don't have to - will bother. I'd imagine heavy spending returning guests may well get upgrades, but a Diamond on their first trip? I'd say the chances are close to zero unless occupancy is oversold in the beach villas.
Conrad BB is also exempt . They upgrade all the time.

“Due to the very special nature of the accommodations at Conrad Bora Bora, we are unable to offer upgraded accommodations”

I agree in the future, once they get established, upgrades may be harder to come by. But I predict at opening, if there is availability, Diamonds should get upgraded. That is a zero hotel cost benefit that will go a long way with Hilton loyalists.

TD
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

I agree in the future, once they get established, upgrades may be harder to come by. But I predict at opening, if there is availability, Diamonds should get upgraded. That is a zero hotel cost benefit that will go a long way with Hilton loyalists.
That's actually a very fair point. Yeah if you're there in 2019 as they find their feet then perhaps the chances are higher. Especially if they're looking to keep people moving through their more expensive rooms so housekeeping, etc. get experience cleaning, maintaining, etc.

That being said, I'm not expecting anything when I go in November (nor am I from the Conrad). If I want a Reef Villa (and I think I do), I'll pay for it to make sure I get it.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, but the upgrade exemption was assumed/expected, like at CMRI.

Breakfast only being offered in one restaurant, the least luxurious all day dining restaurant, is a minor disappointment I guess.

The Happy Hour was a pleasant surprise, as I had heard nothing about that before getting this email. I assume the happy hour is extended to Golds also, but it would be good if someone else can confirm that.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The Happy Hour was a pleasant surprise, as I had heard nothing about that before getting this email. I assume the happy hour is extended to Golds also, but it would be good if someone else can confirm that.
FT won't let me post URLs - see hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/explore/benefits/maldives.html

This list has been published by Hilton for some time. Same benefits for Golds, except for the extra 30 mins massage. Note that this list doesn't cover the free breakfast as that's not Maldives-specific, but there's nothing to suggest it won't apply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.