Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:02 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I'm a little shocked at the building density. What are the group of non-descript gray-ish buildings in the foreground?
I thought the same. Perhaps once on site those buildings are out of sight out of mind, but the aerial view makes the resort look considerably inferior to the feeling you get upon landing at St.Regis to be honest.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I thought the same. Perhaps once on site those buildings are out of sight out of mind, but the aerial view makes the resort look considerably inferior to the feeling you get upon landing at St.Regis to be honest.
My thoughts exactly about the StR. The vegetation also looks a little scanty. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
This is my take on the room location / preferences

For Beach Villas I am thinking my preferred rooms would be 211, 209, 213 as they have its own mini beach facing in the sunset direction. The beach drops off into deep water pretty quickly so will miss out on the turquoise blue waters of the inner lagoon. If I prefer the lagoon view, I am thinking 210, 208, 212 as that would give me the most "forward" view into the horizons, whereas the the higher the number up to 222 - might see too much 'land'.

Now for Overwater Villas, I am thinking 508 - 516 for sunset and lagoon views OR low 100's for sunset (no lagoon)

I think I will ask for 211,209,213 for the first three nights and then request an OWV position after seeing it in person.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:13 pm

My thoughts exactly about the StR. The vegetation also looks a little scanty. I hope I'm proven wrong.
IKR, vegetation would make this island look so different. I hope reviewers call this problem out.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
For Beach Villas I am thinking my preferred rooms would be 211, 209, 213 as they have its own mini beach facing in the sunset direction.
.......OR low 100's for sunset (no lagoon)
Great suggestions.
I think this was discussed earlier, but I'm not convinced they have the correct Sunset direction on their photo.
If I compare their photo with the island on Google maps the "Sunset Direction" they list seems to be to the South of the resort (not West, as I would expect).
Anyone shed some light on this (pun intended)?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:01 am

I'm a little shocked at the building density. What are the group of non-descript gray-ish buildings in the foreground?
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
I would imagine administrative offices, living quarters and storage.
Wrong. Those are backpacker / dorm rooms. They will be sold at $295++ pppn and have occupancy of 4 per room. The offices, living quarters, engineering and storage are all 300' underground in waterproofed and hardened bunkers, designed to resist tidal waves from magnitude 10 earthquakes and thermonuclear strikes up to 20 megatons.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jun 3, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:05 am

Here's a video preview of a Beach Villa

Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:12 am

And another video of the resort generally

Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:15 am

Sorry for multiple posts

Reef Pool Villa

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
What are people's thoughts regarding the upgrades? I think $200++ for the reef villa looks OK for direct water access. $400.00++ for an OWV I'm not so sure. What's that extra $250 a night getting me?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
What are people's thoughts regarding the upgrades? I think $200++ for the reef villa looks OK for direct water access. $400.00++ for an OWV I'm not so sure. What's that extra $250 a night getting me?
Heading there in November for eight nights on points and certs.
Ideally, it would be nice to spend four nights in a beach villa and four nights in a reef or OWV.
My strategy as a Diamond is to wait to see what other members have reported wrt free upgrades and the villa locations, villa categories etc. Of course, it will depend on availability at the time of arrival.
With the extra costs for yacht transports, the expected astronomical cost of food, I really don’t want to spend too much more on a higher villa category unless it’s a significant upgrade.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
TBH it's getting you.....well.....direct access to the water and not much else. It's no surprise that every villa has a pool and the difference in upgrade prices are minimal compared to the base price(s). I don't think they couldn't get away with having some with pools and some without and this feature and that and having huge differences in prices based on those 'extras'. They are going for a very select market and are going to find it difficult to get their occupancy rate up into high figures - their base price point is just too high for most folks so they've price-structured as such. At least that's what it appears to me to be. Maybe some professional in the field can correct me if I'm wrong which I may well be.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Sorry for multiple posts

Reef Pool Villa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LUmwLQ5lo
No apology needed. Any chance you have a link to the Grand version of those rooms?

TD
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:26 am

Re those buildings opposite 311 - 325, they were supposed to be BVs. That would've made that area even more crowded by adding 7 of them. Either ran out of cash (read: not even one fully over-water restaurant) or thought there wasn't enough communal beach area to begin with.....or both.

Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:53 am

I mean i'm kinda obsessed with the WA rn. But I made this idea of a website in about 25 minutes. I mean I don't get why they haven't made one yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.