Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Wife and I will be visiting the resort this December. We wanted to take some snacks and light meals in our luggage with us to the resort to try and offset some of the meal costs. Besides pork products, do you guys know of any other food items not allowed in the country? Any luggage regulations we should be aware of if we intend to bring in peanut butter, jelly, bread, etc?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Hmmmm photos not exactly giving me the same tropical feel of CR. I don't think it is just that the trees etc being not as mature The color of the water is not impressive - looks like the blue of the Atlantic Ocean .... the bland grass patch with boarder is not inviting either ... I think WA actually has done a good job with the plantings. Hoping for more photos prior to opening because once open I am within the non-cancellation period
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by llfoster
Hmmmm photos not exactly giving me the same tropical feel of CR. I don't think it is just that the trees etc being not as mature The color of the water is not impressive - looks like the blue of the Atlantic Ocean .... the bland grass patch with boarder is not inviting either ... I think WA actually has done a good job with the plantings. Hoping for more photos prior to opening because once open I am within the non-cancellation period
I am taking these shots with a grain of salt. I presume they will not do the final product justice. Was just excited to see some progress shots.

I already canceled our CR reservations so we are all-in for early July.

TD
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Coffee and packaged Otis Spunkmeyer?
Been out of the USA for years now and haven't looked back at such breakfast like that since.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

I am taking these shots with a grain of salt. I presume they will not do the final product justice. Was just excited to see some progress shots.

I already canceled our CR reservations so we are all-in for early July.

TD
Yeah, I have to think this final product is going to be amazing. I'm still not sure if we'll actually get there or not (I have 5 nights booked but no flights yet...) but from all indications so far this is going to be the crown jewel in the entire Hilton worldwide portfolio.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:12 pm

Well you should probably make your decision sooner rather than later. Im in the process of cancelling a few nights so I can make some changes, except It has been a back and forth between Hilton and the resort on trying to get the points back and the cancellation completed. Its been a week now and they still cant figure it out, and Im assuming anyone who made a points booking and will try to cancel, wont have that ability until the system is fixed or the resort opens up.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
There is a lot of hype and interest with this resort and given a few of us are booked in, would it be good to start a meet up thread/post/sticky?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Well you should probably make your decision sooner rather than later. Im in the process of cancelling a few nights so I can make some changes, except It has been a back and forth between Hilton and the resort on trying to get the points back and the cancellation completed. Its been a week now and they still cant figure it out, and Im assuming anyone who made a points booking and will try to cancel, wont have that ability until the system is fixed or the resort opens up.
Agree. About 10 days ago I cancelled CR and booked WA ... just love the lagoon water at CR but figured give WA a try....
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Not sure where they're getting the info but TPG put out an article about Maldivian resort transfer fees that listed the fee at the WA as $912pp which seems... quite steep.

For comparison the StR which requires a 45 minute seaplane flight is $695pp
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Not sure where they're getting the info but TPG put out an article about Maldivian resort transfer fees that listed the fee at the WA as $912pp which seems... quite steep.

For comparison the StR which requires a 45 minute seaplane flight is $695pp
It is expensive given a 20-30 minute boat transfer each way

$370 x 2 = $740
$740 x .232 = $171.68
$740 + $171.68 = $911.68
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
It is expensive given a 20-30 minute boat transfer each way

$370 x 2 = $740
$740 x .232 = $171.68
$740 + $171.68 = $911.68
Yes, the next most expensive speedboat transfer is $229. Transfers to the Park Hyatt cost $520 but also include a domestic flight in addition to the speedboat. Curious to see how they justify charging >200 more per person than the StR does for seaplane transfers. Although I guess given the market, they don't have to.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:42 pm

FWIW I got the resort to confirm that private transfer are allowed, they just need to be notified about it.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thewolfofpoints
FWIW I got the resort to confirm that private transfer are allowed, they just need to be notified about it.
Great. Ordering one of these and tons of these
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by thewolfofpoints
Even if they said it wasn't allowed I'd turn up however I damn well wanted - chartered speedboat, parachute, private yacht, kayak.....whatever....erm, well.....maybe not kayak. Not as if they're gonna intercept me mid-lagoon in a patrol boat and say "Get the hell outta here!", shoot me down with triple A or stop me from getting onto the pier when I show them my reservation printout.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 6, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Do you know anyghing about kids stay under 12 will be free of charge like at Conrad Rangali?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.