Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by NightFury1

Go online to the Hilton website

go to reservations

go to your reservation and click view/edit

underneath your reservation information there will be a directions tab.
I can acces to the one wich show 370 per way, could u send me on the previous one?
thanks
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Clearly the WA, or any other resort, would prefer a full price reservation. But they will surely get more money on a points room than an empty room. The additional costs spent during the stay would of course be a nice bonus to the resort as well.

As you said in another post, the resort clearly misjudged how many guests would book using points rather than those paying cash. But anyway, points guests will still spend a tonne of money there ... I expect $20 to be charged for 750ml bottles of water at the restaurants. And then there's that US$912 for a 30 minute boat trip to and from the resort.

The resort should have had an opening "special" rate to attract guests but they went the opposite way and started 'high'. I guess when you are asking for $2,000++ per night, you start opening up many other resort options including some with water slides from the upper level of water villas into the Indian Ocean.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I guess when you are asking for $2,000++ per night, you start opening up many other resort options including some with water slides from the upper level of water villas into the Indian Ocean.
Not doubting what you say, but where is it? I am curious to see if WA will be better than those places in other aspects in order to justify the price.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Not doubting what you say, but where is it? I am curious to see if WA will be better than those places in other aspects in order to justify the price.
https://www.soneva.com/soneva-jani/#our-resorts

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
Just the dates that I am booked in July, St Regis has rates around the $1200 mark for an over water property, whilst WA has the Asia Pac sale right now asking $1450 for beach villa. Before that, WA was asking for $2100. The Soneva Jani which has the water slide in their overwater villas for $1900, for the same dates.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Does the hotel get paid the full price? I thought they only got paid a smaller percentage in which case it would make sense to sell rooms rather then give them through awards.
I don't know if this is 100% accurate but I've heard that for redemption bookings a (Hilton) property gets paid closer to the cash rate (BAR, I presume) the higher the occupancy rate is. The info came from a reputable guest who said that's what he was told by senior staff. Makes sense.

And to those of you making dummy bookings, presumably you are doing 10 rooms for one night each, correct? Not 10 rooms for multiple nights each.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

And to those of you making dummy bookings, presumably you are doing 10 rooms for one night each, correct? Not 10 rooms for multiple nights each.
My bad, 9 rooms is the max bookable rooms without making a group booking. And yes, you can do a multiple nights search right away!

Just checked my dates (there were 9 available 1 week ago): today only 6!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just the dates that I am booked in July, St Regis has rates around the $1200 mark for an over water property, whilst WA has the Asia Pac sale right now asking $1450 for beach villa. Before that, WA was asking for $2100. The Soneva Jani which has the water slide in their overwater villas for $1900, for the same dates.
To be fair though, St Regis was almost 3k when it first came out, but I agree that’s a ridiculous price to pay for low season.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Considering biting on a 5-night points stay @ WA. Just out of curiosity, is the $740 +taxes +service RT boat transfer the highest in the Maldives? Just a quick perusal of some other properties it seems like it is, even more than seaplane transfers. Amortized over 5 nights we're talking $300+/night for a couple. It's obviously not about the money, per se, as the point redemption is a tremendous value, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste as it seems excessive.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I've started looking for private operators to do transfers to Walfdorf. It looks like Waldorf is only 15 Miles from the airport. It looks like speedboats are going for $25 a mile, so that should be about $375 one way for as many people as the boat can hold. Waiting for Atoll Transfers to get back to me though.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've scrolled up in this thread for a hundred or so posts: is there any data yet on doing paid upgrades from a beach villa to an OWV?

I'm still leaning towards a Conrad booking at 380k for 5 nights, plus probably $100-150 to get a better OWV than the base one. This would be an extra 100,000 HH points, plus a higher upgrade fee (I would assume), but might be tempting to get the newer hotel and the higher W=A service level.

BTW, the 120k base beach villa here actually looks more amazing than most of the upgraded types at the Conrad. My wife has the idea of an OWV in her mind though, and I think if we fly all that way we'll want to be overwater. Otherwise we'd just grab some other high-end resort closer to our other planned destinations in Asia.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've scrolled up in this thread for a hundred or so posts: is there any data yet on doing paid upgrades from a beach villa to an OWV?

I'm still leaning towards a Conrad booking at 380k for 5 nights, plus probably $100-150 to get a better OWV than the base one. This would be an extra 100,000 HH points, plus a higher upgrade fee (I would assume), but might be tempting to get the newer hotel and the higher W=A service level.

BTW, the 120k base beach villa here actually looks more amazing than most of the upgraded types at the Conrad. My wife has the idea of an OWV in her mind though, and I think if we fly all that way we'll want to be overwater. Otherwise we'd just grab some other high-end resort closer to our other planned destinations in Asia.
$200+t for Reef Villa (Deck is over water, Entrance is on land, for a lack of a better word, this is a "poor man's" over water)
$400+t for Over Water Villa
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
$200+t for Reef Villa (Deck is over water, Entrance is on land, for a lack of a better word, this is a "poor man's" over water)
Poor Man's watervilla haha I will take the poor mans watervilla any day of the week, Especially with $700+ pp round trip boat transfers for a 30 minute ride....for that cost I'd rather take the seaplane and get there in 5 minutes.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:05 am

I was quoted the same prices. I had a similar style room as the reef villa when I stayed at Hilton Moorea, and thought it was a great room. Deck over water, but close enough on land to ice, restaurants, etc. Still looking for more data points before I make a selection.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by msg75
Considering biting on a 5-night points stay @ WA. Just out of curiosity, is the $740 +taxes +service RT boat transfer the highest in the Maldives? Just a quick perusal of some other properties it seems like it is, even more than seaplane transfers. Amortized over 5 nights we're talking $300+/night for a couple. It's obviously not about the money, per se, as the point redemption is a tremendous value, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste as it seems excessive.
It‘s difficult to compare the boat transfer prices, as WA is or will be the only hotel using a big yacht for a shared transfer. Rethi Rah is charging 300++ for a shared yacht transfer(smaller yacht) or 400++ shared seaplane p.p. one way.
Other resorts like Cheval Blanc, Velaa, St.Regis... are offering private transfers with similar yachts, approx. costs 2500-3000 ++ p.hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.