Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I am not surprised since this has hit various blogs as to how you can buy points from the ongoing HH points promo and stay at this hotel for only $470 a night instead of the $2000 that they want.

I got a friend who is not savvy at all when it comes to travel but he booked this with the instructions he found on his facebook stream. Not exactly a good way for this new hotel to start getting their huge investment back when you can get a 75% discount in seconds.
Points are all created equal, to a hotel, when redeemed. The WA has no idea what a person paid, or didn’t pay, for a point. I can’t imgine the sale had any impact on why they pulled the points reservations.

But if the points rooms come back after the sale ends in a couple days perhaps I am wrong.

TD
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Beach Villa
Grand Beach Villa

Both come in two options King bed or “Two-Bedded” (presuming that means two queen beds).

The Beach Villa (both options) were the 120K Points rooms.

Sorry for the confusion with my “standard” wording.

TD

Hi TD,
Thanks for your confirmation, when i look at the WA accomodations page on their site all I can find what appears the entry level accommodation is the King Beach Villa with pool. So, was there on availabilty for an accommodation just called "BEACH Villa" and has been taken down for now?

Think I've just answered my own question to TD.

The King Beach Villa with pool is back on availability at 120k a night, was not available last night when i was searching and certainly not showing for the agent on live chat.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:12 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
You have, indeed. King Beach Villa with pool is the base accommodation here and should be available for 120k points per night ^
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by Tilly71
Out if interest, how did you find out there was 10 x rooms available on Points for your dates, Did you ask online chat?
Nop, just did it online on the website.

OT PS Sorry for my late answer, my wife and I struggled to find out if we would celebrate our daughters first birthday anniversary on Feb 22nd or 23rd in 2020! Now we know
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Points are all created equal, to a hotel, when redeemed. The WA has no idea what a person paid, or didn’t pay, for a point. I can’t imgine the sale had any impact on why they pulled the points reservations.

But if the points rooms come back after the sale ends in a couple days perhaps I am wrong.

TD
Does the hotel get paid the full price? I thought they only got paid a smaller percentage in which case it would make sense to sell rooms rather then give them through awards.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Artemio
Nop, just did it online on the website.

OT PS Sorry for my late answer, my wife and I struggled to find out if we would celebrate our daughters first birthday anniversary on Feb 22nd or 23rd in 2020! Now we know
Where on the website does it show how many rooms are available for a particular accommodation per night?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Where on the website does it show how many rooms are available for a particular accommodation per night?
Just did a dummy booking with 10 rooms on Points! Without finalizing the booking process! so I must confess I can't be 100% sure that 10 rooms were really available. Still it was an indication for me
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:59 am

Availability up to Dec 16th @ 120k a night for KBV now, then off for a few weeks then back on and off for weekly bookings up until Feb 20. 😄
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:47 am

Availability up to Dec 16th @ 120k a night for KBV now, then off for a few weeks then back on and off for weekly bookings up until Feb 20. 😄
Yeah, typical blackout (aka block-out) redemptions manipulation as they like to claim they don't do with a smile and a lie. Similar dates to a new IHG property (Intercontinental opening in Aug) here in Japan and once points booking became available for the last week of Dec, those 3 days suddenly were gone within just a few days of offering them. Doubt even a single room has been reserved on points so quickly. They have a sh..tload blocked out days each month from opening to support this suspicion (pretty much 75%+ of each month).

Seems nobody here has mentioned this, I wonder if I'm the only person who hunts for this kind of stuff. There is a new *Intercontinental set to open Oct 1st in the Maldives*. It might give Waldorf a run for its money.

Last edited by scwam; Feb 24, 2019 at 4:06 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by scwam
Yeah, typical blackout (aka block-out) redemptions manipulation as they like to claim they don't do with a smile and a lie. Similar dates to a new IHG property (Intercontinental opening in Aug) here in Japan and once points booking became available for the last week of Dec, those 3 days suddenly were gone within just a few days of offering them. Doubt even a single room has been reserved on points so quickly. They have a sh..tload blocked out days each month from opening to support this suspicion (pretty much 75%+ of each month).
I'm actually booked from 18th December to 24th December and did so on the day availability was opened . I don't think Hilton are blocking these dates . I think they are genuinely sold out for Christmas period standard awards .
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by NightFury1

he went online and screen shotted the information or saved it as a PDF. There is no downloadable pdf.
I need that screenshot, any help?!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by honores41

I need that screenshot, any help?!
Go online to the Hilton website

go to reservations

go to your reservation and click view/edit

underneath your reservation information there will be a directions tab.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Does the hotel get paid the full price? I thought they only got paid a smaller percentage in which case it would make sense to sell rooms rather then give them through awards.
Hopefully smarter minds than mine will respond directly to your question. But I doubt they get reimbursed a full cash paid amount, but I could be wrong.

I was specifically commenting on points being acquired through the sale. No matter what a hotel gets reimbursed for on a points stay, I presume, the cost at which those points were acquired does not factor in to the equation.

Points for my stay came in the form of points purchased through the current sale and everyday spend on various Hilton brand cards. Those points were earned at 2X-12X points per dollar charged. I also used a “free” night certificate from my Aspire card renewal along with a cert gained by meeting $15K spend on a Hilton card.

In short, many ways to earn points and free nights. Many different costs to the end user and Hilton on acquiring/offering points. I doubt they could ever factor all that in determine a refund rate back to a hotel on a points reservation.

Clearly the WA, or any other resort, would prefer a full price reservation. But they will surely get more money on a points room than an empty room. The additional costs spent during the stay would of course be a nice bonus to the resort as well.

TD
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:58 am

Standard award redemption 120k pts/night available

Hi all,

I was randomly clicking and found standard award 120k points/night room types up again online. Dates I was playing around was Oct 9-11. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Artemio
Something else, just an info for families: the kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives as they say) is for children between 4 to 11 years old.
Thanks for the data point. Have added it to the wiki.

On another note, seems they are still looking for a specialty chef for their Arabian village style restaurant, Yasmeen.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/maldiv...168_KO9,23.htm
https://jobs.hilton.com/job/Chef-de-...ource=JB-13420

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.