Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:20 pm

300 + 23.2% tax
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
This looks like something new which may be interesting for those of us who would like to take the kids too. They have posted their family policy and it looks like extra beds for kids under 12 will be free :

Family Policy

Hotel requires parent/guardian to sign a liability waiver to accommodate children below 12 years. Rollaway beds are complimentary for children under 12 years old, cribs are complimentary. For more information, please contact [email protected]
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
A recent experience from a friend.
If you add 1 kid to your booking with 2 adults, you can only select Grand rooms or bigger.
2 kids > Two bedroom Villas.
As he previously booked a 2 queen bed villa with points, he contacted the hotel and wanted to add the two kids <12y to the reservation.
He was told, that a King or 2Queen bed Villa cannot accomodate more than 2 people and would have to pay to upgrade to a Grand villa
Basically rollaway beds are complimentary, but you have to pay for an upgrade to put these beds in your room.

Last edited by tom-schmitt; Feb 20, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
A recent experience from a friend.
If you add 1 kid to your booking with 2 adults, you can only select Grand rooms or bigger.
2 kids > Two bedroom Villas.
As he previously booked a 2 queen bed villa with points, he contacted the hotel and wanted to add the two kids <12y to the reservation.
He was told, that a King or 2Queen bed Villa cannot accomodate more than 2 people and would have to pay to upgrade to a Grand villa
Basically rollaway beds are complimentary, but you have to pay for an upgrade to put these beds in your room.

I Can confirm this

Thank you for the email.

May I reconfirm that 2 adults and 1 child will be travelling? In this case, our standard award room will not be able to accommodate 2 adults and 1 child.

We will be able to accommodate 3 guests in our Grand Beach Villa with Pool. Upgrade of $200++ per night

Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:02 am

That's a bunch of nonsense. I wonder since when did it become the norm and accepted for these hotels to start making money off of 3 guests when you got 2 beds. Or additional guests period for that matter. Seems like this trend started less than 10 years ago.

Last edited by scwam; Feb 20, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

I had feared that this would be the case. I hope they decide to change this at some point, as I find it hard to believe that a 254 Sq meter room can't fit an extra bed. I expect it's more about $$$.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by englisha
I had feared that this would be the case. I hope they decide to change this at some point, as I find it hard to believe that a 254 Sq meter room can't fit an extra bed. I expect it's more about $$$.
254 sq meters is not the room size. This measurement is inclusive of the deck, pool, etc. Annoying!!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:04 pm

I'd rather trust the transparency and 'honors' of Hotels.com than Hilton as you can book two adults and one 17 year-old child into a: Villa, 1 King Bed, Private Pool, Beachside.
It even says it can accommodate 3.

Last edited by scwam; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:51 pm

Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They should just ban children entirely. Charging for children as a way to deter their parents from bringing them is better than nothing.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by andyyac1
I’ve been to the Maldives countless times, and obviously love it.

I love getting rooms north of $2000 a night for pennies on the dollar and with very valuable elite benefits. And the chance to be in what I consider pure paradise, in superb properties with fabulous amenities, service and food.

Do I try and spend as little as possible however... yes of course. Do I enjoy the overpriced add ons... No way.
Don't take this the wrong way but I do not believe for one minute, any of the above. I mean no-one, at least no native English speaker of which you appear to be, would use the word add on in this context. I don't know about everyone else here but the way you write is not that of someone who has been to the Maldives countless times. There are too many subtleties in there that scream 'no way'.....

Heres the rub.... the hotels set the award inventory. They have control. Amazing isn’t it? It’s their business. They own it. They decide point structure and availability. You may think you can sue them or “people power” them into what you think is fair, but I doubt that will work. It just won’t.

If a a certain group (points redeemers) has a demanding, even threatening (shouting about emails being legal contracts, saying they won’t pay etc) there is a good chance the hotel (privately owned... not owned by Hilton as claimed/implied upthread) will shut down points availability in the future.

If in their position (I’m glad I’m not... in an increasingly competitive market, geographical issues and huge costs involved) I would do so.

I'm not an insider but AFAIK it is common knowledge that Hilton Corporate set such policies and decide on whether there are blackout dates, rooms available for redemption bookings, point rates and so forth. As for this property and point rates, you are 100% incorrect as there have been numerous posts here confirming that the resort was waiting for Hilton USA to set the rates - the property can not do this themselves. I mean come on, common sense would dictate that in a loyalty program where properties are graded into categories and there are various rules for redemptions - be it points or free night certificates, it is the brand and its owner, not the individual property that sets these rates. Can you imagine what chaos would ensue if Hilton allowed individual properties to set rates and decide to not make any inventory available for redemption? LMAO! There are posts about the almost zero lack of availability at some properties and some have suspected that there are one or two that have no award rooms but this has been proven not to be the case, at least in the Hilton portfolio. Every property must have some award space for redemption - it's part and parcel of being in the HHonors program. If you have infomation to the contrary, please do share it with links to verified sources.

It it is the nature of the beast... the Maldives with huge taxes on alcohol, huge import costs of everything, labor costs of expats, massive costs of building in the middle of an ocean, it’s expensive to run.
Just a note, not only for you but for everyone reading this, most people believe that everything is imported. This is not the case by any means. Pretty much all vegetables are grown locally and most, if not all, of the fresh seafood is caught locally as well. Take lobster as an example - there is no imported lobster from Canadia, the US, the Caribbean etc nor is there any from anywhere else except the Maldives. The only frozen fish they import is that which happens to be on the menu but cannot be sourced locally.

Do I feel sorry for them, and think they should make millions of dollars a minute however? No way.
Hmm, that's a bit of a turnaround.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 21, 2019 at 10:56 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:00 pm

Can’t find award availability for the next year ...???
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:02 pm

Delete

Last edited by sambo150; Feb 21, 2019 at 12:29 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by llfoster
Can’t find award availability for the next year ...???
Looks like they have pulled all standard room award availability at least for the rest of the year. They have also discounted the rooms from $1,833 per night to $1,374 member rate for the first three months , not cancelable.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Just a note, not only for you but for everyone reading this, most people believe that everything is imported. This is not the case by any means. Pretty much all vegetables are grown locally and most, if not all, of the fresh seafood is caught locally as well. Take lobster as an example - there is no imported lobster from Canadia, the US, the Caribbean etc nor is there any from anywhere else except the Maldives. The only frozen fish they import is that which happens to be on the menu but cannot be sourced locally.
Sometimes I am wondering, where you get your information from.

Even Rangali, which hotel you are very familiar, used to have canadian lobster a few years ago, many others still have it on the menu, like the Reethi Rah
As you are always asking for proof, i added some links.
https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/-/media/oneandonly/pdfs/reethi-rah/menus/tapasake/one-and-only-reethi-rah-tapasake-menu-oct2016.pdf?la=en-gb&v1

On your next visit to Rangali you should ask for a tour to staff island, i doubt you will find a lot of local products in the storage facilities.
They do some hydroponics (green salad), plant some Herbs, especially mint for the cocktails, spices, chillies...everything else is imported.
Even coconut milk, which used to be a local product is now imported.
The Cocal Cola Products are also importet from Middle-East,
. Althouth there is Coca-Cola Factory on the Maldives, which is the only one using desalinated water worldwide, the Hotels prefer
the Coke Products from other countries, as most guest find that the desalinated Coke tastes strange.
Here is another link to a Maledivian Supermarket, where you can find the origin of the different fruit and vegetables:
https://maldiviancart.com/
Even there you won´t find many local products from the Maldives.
Some more scientific work about this.
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/56361515.pdf
Local products will be used for events like Maldivian night or can be bought at local markets or will be grown in private gardens.
Hopefully there will be more local production in the future, and actually there is more than a few years a go, but definitely not enough to deliver the hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.