Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
There was either an article or a post mentioning that the hotel purchased 4 yachts. If this is correct then I think there is a chance that they do not have a lounge and instead you go right from airport to yacht and wait on the yacht until critical number (or time is reached) then you head off. No way they use the Conrad lounge for this hotel given the cash rates.

Also, about breakfast, I really think the hotel will be like the new WA Bangkok or Conrad Maldives / Koh Samui in that diamonds will get free full buffet and drinks. Maybe I am being optimistic, but there is just too much of a precedent already set and I think it would be beneath this level of a resort to separate out a continental vs hot buffet customers. No reason to worry yet until we get some trip reports or official word!

Now it is possible they don’t have free happy hour and tea time. However, that experience at the Conrad has really gone down hill to the point that it is almost worthless to me personally as a food / drink option. Oh my last trip to Rangali I just enjoyed those daily elite events as a way to meet other FlyerTalkers or hang out with friends. Happy to do this at a paid experience as well with better food / drink.

Lastly, as this thread matures I hope it becomes like the Conrad Maldives thread by leading to connections between people and friendships. There is no reason for personal attacks, or in the case of our recent 4-post visitor insinuating you know “someone’s type”. It is just rude, unnecessary and in my opinion against the spirit of what this thread will hopefully become.

Last edited by brandonpkt; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I have asked for the following;

1. Season information with dates
2. Approximate / expected opening date
3a. List of all villa types, maximum occupancy and associated prices for all seasons
3b. Any details of opening promotions
4. A map of the resort (I have seen the promo video and notice that the villa categories / naming conventions are different from what has been posted here on FlyerTalk. I will add the map indicating villa numbers and categories to the wiki so everyone is clear about the layout and terminology - we need this for villa selection)
5. A full list of Gold and Diamond benefits
6a. Male airport lounge information (will there be a lounge and will it be using the Conrad Lounge temporarily at opening?) and prices for use on return journey if applicable
6b. Speedboat transfer times and prices Erm, well.....
7. Information on water sports, activities, excursions etc (if they have an Activity Planner in PDF format I will host it externally and link to it in the wiki)
8. Spa brochure with information and prices
9. A Positioning Brochure or similar in English with pictures of rooms, facilities and introduction of the resort in general
10. Restaurant menus and prices for breakfast (if not included) / HB / FB etc

Should have asked for the cruise ship schedule.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Should have asked for the cruise ship schedule.
I heard it costs $370++ per cruise ship passenger for return journey from the Conrad to the WA.

EDIT: I got this wrong, it is actually $350++ per cruise ship passenger per way due to a compulsory Valentine’s Day transport supplement when traveling from Rangali.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by brandonpkt

I heard it costs $370++ per cruise ship passenger for return journey from the Conrad to the WA.

EDIT: I got this wrong, it is actually $350++ per cruise ship passenger per way due to a compulsory Valentine’s Day transport supplement when traveling from Rangali.
I can’t tell if you’re being facetious or not. That’s how absurd the whole situation is.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:39 pm

Has anyone looked into splitting time between the Waldorf and Conrad? I have 10 nights currently booked in July at the Conrad but thinking of switching to the Waldorf for some or all of the stay. Not sure where to begin to figure how to get from one property to the other if I end up doing 5 days at each.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
There was either an article or a post mentioning that the hotel purchased 4 yachts. If this is correct then I think there is a chance that they do not have a lounge and instead you go right from airport to yacht and wait on the yacht until critical number (or time is reached) then you head off. No way they use the Conrad lounge for this hotel given the cash rates.
Well, if they only have one yacht, and if yacht fuel is really expensive, maybe 24 hour service means "Boat departures from the airport to the resort are at 9 a.m., 2 p.m., 6 p.m. and midnight." So you could end up waiting 4-5 hours at the airport for a boat instead of the guaranteed departure within 2 hours on the seaplane.
Could well be waiting times because the Conrad lounge is moving. A new one is being built in another building.....so we could all be in for a shock and waiting times. Remember Irufushi used to share the lounge with the Conrad. Both the W=A and the Conrad are luxury brands so I (almost) bet an arm and a leg that they will share the same lounge. The Conrad lounge isn't making any money and hasn't for a long time, that I know for a fact. So with both resorts having nearly 300 rooms in total it's going to make much more sense to have a single lounge that can actually pull in some revenue. They may separate them but if they do it will be in the middle (like Irufushi + Conrad used to be) and they will both use the same kitchen.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:49 pm

I am doing 6-7 at Conrad and 11-12 at WA in festive season. My plan is to do a round trip sea plane for Conrad and Round trip yacht for WA, both from MLE. I booked WA early so my official PDF saved confirmation says $370++ for Return, which they will apparently honor (even though on the website it is now edited). Therefore, I would personally not save any money even if a direct transfer could be booked between the two resorts. As my one way from WA back to MLE would revert to the now posted $370++ per way....that’s kind of funny now that I think about it

Please do share though if you find a direct option between the two resorts.

BTW- this post is real unlike my last one
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The Conrad lounge isn't making any money and hasn't for a long time, that I know for a fact. So with both resorts having nearly 300 rooms in total it's going to make much more sense to have a single lounge that can actually pull in some revenue. .
What lounge revenue are you referring to ? I thought it was just a free amenity for guests of the resort. Do they charge money to other non-Conrad guests to use the lounge?

Last edited by jphripjah; Feb 15, 2019 at 12:12 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jamal06
Has anyone looked into splitting time between the Waldorf and Conrad? I have 10 nights currently booked in July at the Conrad but thinking of switching to the Waldorf for some or all of the stay. Not sure where to begin to figure how to get from one property to the other if I end up doing 5 days at each.
Yes, looked at 5 nights here before our 30-night stay at the Conrad. Haven't asked for transportation prices yet. Either property will come get you or take you to the other. It's just a matter of whether you can accept the gouging that will take place. I do suggest that you ask the Conrad to do it. Based on what I've seen here it's obvious the Waldorf are going to be doing the deepest gouging, LOL.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:54 pm

As someone who has not been to The Maldives before, I was wondering if it was possible to "upgrade" to the half board package when booking on points (I know it is possible to upgrade rooms for cash payment) and is the dinner on a half board package restricted to just one restaurant typically or a credit per person that can be used at any of the restaurants? I notice that WA is selling half board packages but it does not have any details.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:02 am

What lounge revenue are you referring to ? I thought it was just a free amenity for guests of the resort. Do they charge money to other non-Conrad guests to use the lounge?
They charge money for even Conrad guests after 5pm from what I've read directly. Something like $85 per person.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Jamal06
You may have to Seaplane back to MLE, then pick up the yacht back to WA.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Tilly71
You may have to Seaplane back to MLE, then pick up the yacht back to WA.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Although I'm glad my return WA transfer is confirmed at $370++ return. As if I were looking at $2k for a boat ride for a 3 day stay I'd be booking another resort instead for cash.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Waiting for response from TMA , about private seaplane transfer from Rangali to Ithafushi on DEC 31 2019, we are a bigger group of returning guests to Rangali (most of us >10 times). If anyone interested in joining us, please let me know.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
Waiting for response from TMA , about private seaplane transfer from Rangali to Ithafushi on DEC 31 2019, we are a bigger group of returning guests to Rangali (most of us >10 times). If anyone interested in joining us, please let me know.
Another option is a 3hr yacht transfer from Rangali to Ithaafushi but not sure how that compares cost wise vs seaplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.