Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:57 am

I checked my reservation on Hilton.com and it changed the wording to "per way" as well. I printed off my reservation using the previous wording before it changed. I called the Diamond desk and she just said I would have to talk to the hotel. Not much help or information.

I cancelled our Conrad reservation to book at the WA - but they really should have had this stuff figured out before accepting bookings IMO. Hopefully it gets resolved...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
If it's just a 30 minute ride, I think I'd be fine with the smaller speedboat. Are there boat operators in the area who are for-hire like a water taxi, or bookable ahead of time as a charter?

In other words, do you have to use the hotel's boat? I get that some people will like the smoother ride of a 70-footer, but in most parts of the world where something like this is part of the local transportation, there are different options.
Plenty of boat operators out of Male; question is will WA allow private boat operators to dock?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by james0499
Good news... i've been in touch with the hotel again regarding the yacht transfer and they have now said...

"Thank you for the email and bringing this to our attention, The change was initiated from our end before us accepting reservations, however this has not reflected on the booking system.
Please note that we will at all times, honor the booking confirmation and in this case as well, we will be charging you US$370++ per person for roundtrip.
Kind accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Gotta love 'em! So everyone book quick before they realise!!

RE the troll... don't give him/her the time of day. I appreciate the help and information this community has provided and has gotten me even more excited for what will be a genuine 'once in a lifetime trip' for our honeymoon and one I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for! We're all going for different reasons and have different stories, let's respect them hey.

Onwards...
Just to bring this back up, if they edited the actual reservation then I hope you all have a PDF or Screen shot!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:18 am

From This Morning:

Current:

Originally Posted by dcht
If my math is wrong, please correct me. Let's assume an average occupancy of 70%, which is about 85 rooms occupied a day. Let's assume 7 night stays, that's 4420 arrivals each year. 2 people per room that's almost 3.3 million dollars in revenue for a $370 RT yacht cost.
Not sure about the rest of your math. But they have updated the language. It is $370++ each way (for any reservations made today and beyond). So assuming your other math is correct, 6.6 million dollars for a $740++ RT

TD

So here is a question I have. Do we know what the "yacht" will be? If it is truly a yacht and they serve food and drinks with perhaps some entertainment, the cost is still high, but could be part of the overall experience of a great trip. Much like I justify the high cost of the short flight. I have not been to the Maldives, yet, but have taken many small "puddle jumpers" at extortionist rates. I just roll the cost in to the whole adventure. But if yacht is just a fancy word for a glorified people transfer boat, like the one they use at the Conrad Bora Bora or IHG Tahlasso, then experience/cost has a different perspective for me.

TD

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:04 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:47 am

Screen capture your Hilton App under your reservation displaying this hotel name through - "Benefits" tab with the language "A daily complimentary breakfast in the hotel's designated restaurant for you and up to one additional guest........." before they modify that too.
It took me nearly an hour on my pc to realize that I saw this yesterday only on the app.
F..K Hilton
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
So here is a question I have. Do we know what the "yacht" will be? If it is truly a yacht and they serve food and drinks with perhaps some entertainment, the cost is still high, but could be part of the overall experience of a great trip. Much like I justify the high cost of the short flight. I have not been to the Maldives, yet, but have taken many small "puddle jumpers" at extortionist rates. I just roll the cost in to the whole adventure. But if yacht is just a fancy word for a glorified people transfer boat, like the one they use at the Conrad Bora Bora or IHG Tahlasso, then experience/cost has a different perspective for me.

TD
https://www.princessmotoryachtsales....s-princess-70/
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm not contacting the hotel about this. I'll raise it on check out. Then dispute with Amex.

I'd suggest others do the same.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond

TD
This is a Princess 70 Foot Yacht . There are cabins too but that's a moot point on a 30 minute journey

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Looks pretty sweet.

TD
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by crombiestone
This is a Princess 70 Foot Yacht . There are cabins too but that's a moot point on a 30 minute journey

Cabins? Might try and sneak in a quicky. Flying Singapore Suites on the way, and fully plan on joining The Mile High Club.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by persoid
Plenty of boat operators out of Male; question is will WA allow private boat operators to dock?
They can't refuse you. You will be a guest / party with a valid booking. You can swim, jetski, parachute in or get there whatever way you like.

I have not been to the Maldives, yet, but have taken many small "puddle jumpers" at extortionist rates. I just roll the cost in to the whole adventure.
Hey, if they were putting us in one of these

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at the current price. Even though it looks like the owners view their resort as a Maldivian Atlantis and have priced it accordingly, I don't think they'll have one of these for transportation.

And really, the only reason they are finally saying they're going to honour anyone who has received a confirmation from the system for $370++ return is because of all the hoohah here and everywhere else on the travelnet.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Transfer price has been amended on confirmations to $370++ each way, per person.
Over $1800 for a couple to spend one hour on a boat is absurd.

Never mind Ohio, that's the cost of a 4 night stay at Amankila.

Can't see myself holding onto this reservation but a lot can change in the next year...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:11 pm

Curious how we know that will be the boat, or one like it? Did not see any WA mentioned in the link, but just quickly skimmed. Sorry if I missed it.

TD
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Well, they're advertising it as a 24hr service so it might be a bit more than you think.
Well, if they only have one yacht, and if yacht fuel is really expensive, maybe 24 hour service means "Boat departures from the airport to the resort are at 9 a.m., 2 p.m., 6 p.m. and midnight." So you could end up waiting 4-5 hours at the airport for a boat instead of the guaranteed departure within 2 hours on the seaplane.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't really understand the shock at the transfer price, or the idea that a luxury yacht might be more expensive than a scheduled propeller flight. In the Marriott Group you have the likes of the Gritti Palace's Riva which is comparably priced despite apparently being significantly less expensive than the presumptive WA yacht, as well as the private yacht fleet at Caresse which is not cheap either (despite being in the cheapest bar of one of the cheapest cities in Europe).

It looks like the WA's target customer market is the same as people who would stay at places like the Burj Al Arab in Dubai where the standard airport pickup is $300-500 by car, or a lot more by helicopter for the high rollers. Who knows what they'd charge if they had a large private yacht available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.