Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:20 am

That is great
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by james0499
Good news... i've been in touch with the hotel again regarding the yacht transfer and they have now said...

"Thank you for the email and bringing this to our attention, The change was initiated from our end before us accepting reservations, however this has not reflected on the booking system.
Please note that we will at all times, honor the booking confirmation and in this case as well, we will be charging you US$370++ per person for roundtrip.
Kind accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Gotta love 'em! So everyone book quick before they realise!!

RE the troll... don't give him/her the time of day. I appreciate the help and information this community has provided and has gotten me even more excited for what will be a genuine 'once in a lifetime trip' for our honeymoon and one I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for! We're all going for different reasons and have different stories, let's respect them hey.

Onwards...
Score!

Wow we all got our wish. Seems like it’s the perfect time to try this place out!

On a serious note, this implies they were going to do $370 RT then someone said “let’s make it one way”....?

Last edited by NightFury1; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
An excellent business decision from WA
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
From OMAT - -

"......Initially Hilton’s website suggested that the roundtrip transfer cost $370 plus a 23.2% tax and service charge. As it turns out, that was a mistake, and the hotel is actually charging $350 one-way plus a 23.2% tax and service charge for transfers between the airport and hotel. So a roundtrip boat transfer for the 30 minute ride will cost $862.40. WOW."

OMAT - WA link
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:35 am

According to Lucky at OMAT breakfast is included for Diamonds but not clear if it’s continental only with extra for cooked items or the whole monty.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Anyone of the people complaining about the high transfer costs ever considered the costs of a new 70 foot Yacht? A new one will cost approx. 2 million US$ ore more, depending on the layout, has a fuel consumption of up to a few hundred liters /per hour.
Also the costs for maintanance and staff. Please donīt compare it to the costs of a speedboat with 2x 200 HP Outboard motors, that other Hotels in the Maldives use.

At least Lucky from OMMAT sees it realistic when comparing the 300 $ Reethi Rah Transfer with the 350$ of the WA.
One reason, that no one ever complaint about the transfer costs of the Reethi Rah is, that you can not book the Hotel for free, for points, with creditcard certificates, ... (Except a few years ago, when the Reethi Rah was an LHW property you could use your free night here, but it was rarely available and only 3 free nights possible with the "Unlimited Membership")

Last edited by mb123; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Score!

Wow we all got our wish. Seems like it’s the perfect tone to try this place out!

on a serious note, this implies they were going to do $370 RT then someone said “let’s make it one way”....?

I say a master stroke of genius on Hilton’s part! They now have all of us positively excited about paying $370++ for a short boat ride...in two directions...

It is going to be a great resort and really looking forward to this trip!
TD
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by mb123
Anyone of the people complaining about the high transfer costs ever considered the costs of a new 70 foot Yacht? A new one will cost approx. 2 million US$ ore more, depending on the layout, has a fuel consumption of up to a few hundred liters /per hour.<br />Also the costs for maintanance and staff. Please donīt compare it to the costs of a speedboat with 2x 200 HP Outboard motors, that others in the Maldives use.
Definitely considered it . In El Gouna Red Sea they cost around $3000 a day to charter for day sailing for the same size and level of luxury as the WA are using ,some are the same brand ,Princess , so the purchase price would have been the same for the owner here (admittedly fuel costs are lower in Egypt. I've no idea of the price per litre in the Maldives ) . The WA are charging $370++ for a 30 minute trip probably with 10+ passengers . So One single trip should about cover a days cost . I'm not sure how many one way trips a day a boat would make but I'm thinking 8 wouldn't be stretching it ?

Last edited by crombiestone; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:29 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by james0499
Good news... i've been in touch with the hotel again regarding the yacht transfer and they have now said...

"Thank you for the email and bringing this to our attention, The change was initiated from our end before us accepting reservations, however this has not reflected on the booking system.
Please note that we will at all times, honor the booking confirmation and in this case as well, we will be charging you US$370++ per person for roundtrip.
Kind accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Gotta love 'em! So everyone book quick before they realise!!

RE the troll... don't give him/her the time of day. I appreciate the help and information this community has provided and has gotten me even more excited for what will be a genuine 'once in a lifetime trip' for our honeymoon and one I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for! We're all going for different reasons and have different stories, let's respect them hey.

Onwards...
fantastic
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:26 am

Anyone of the people complaining about the high transfer costs ever considered the costs of a new 70 foot Yacht? A new one will cost approx. 2 million US$ ore more, depending on the layout, has a fuel consumption of up to a few hundred liters /per hour.
Also the costs for maintanance and staff. Please donīt compare it to the costs of a speedboat with 2x 200 HP Outboard motors, that other Hotels in the Maldives use.

At least Lucky from OMMAT sees it realistic when comparing the 300 $ Reethi Rah Transfer with the 350$ of the WA.
One reason, that no one ever complaint about the transfer costs of the Reethi Rah is, that you can not book the Hotel for free, for points, with creditcard certificates, ... (Except a few years ago, when the Reethi Rah was an LHW property you could use your free night here, but it was rarely available and only 3 free nights possible with the "Unlimited Membership")
If my math is wrong, please correct me. Let's assume an average occupancy of 70%, which is about 85 rooms occupied a day. Let's assume 7 night stays, that's 4420 arrivals each year. 2 people per room that's almost 3.3 million dollars in revenue for a $370 RT yacht cost.

Last edited by dcht; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by dcht
If my math is wrong, please correct me. Let's assume an average occupancy of 70%, which is about 85 rooms occupied a day. Let's assume 7 day stays, that's 4420 arrivals each year. 2 people per room that's almost 3.3 million dollars in revenue for a $380 RT yacht cost.
Yup. And there are still some people who are justifying, aka: trolling about, the cost of the boat. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by crombiestone
Definitely considered it . In El Gouna Red Sea they cost around $3000 a day to charter for day sailing for the same size and level of luxury as the WA are using ,some are the same brand ,Princess , so the purchase price would have been the same for the owner here (admittedly fuel costs are lower in Egypt. I've no idea of the price per litre in the Maldives ) . The WA are charging $370++ for a 30 minute trip probably with 10+ passengers . So One single trip should about cover a days cost . I'm not sure how many one way trips a day a boat would make but I'm thinking 8 wouldn't be stretching it ?
Well, they're advertising it as a 24hr service so it might be a bit more than you think.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:02 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:08 am

Looks like they updated the language in the reservation confirmation to now say $370 per person each way instead of return
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:14 am

So sneaky. I wouldn't expect anything less shady from Hilton. It's on mine too. My God!
The bloggers will have a heyday on this once they pick it up.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by scwam
So sneaky. I wouldn't expect anything less shady from Hilton. It's on mine too. My God!
The bloggers will have a heyday on this once they pick it up.
I exported my confirmation to PDF just yesterday. I still doubt they will honor it though
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Please donīt compare it to the costs of a speedboat with 2x 200 HP Outboard motors, that other Hotels in the Maldives use.
If it's just a 30 minute ride, I think I'd be fine with the smaller speedboat. Are there boat operators in the area who are for-hire like a water taxi, or bookable ahead of time as a charter?

In other words, do you have to use the hotel's boat? I get that some people will like the smoother ride of a 70-footer, but in most parts of the world where something like this is part of the local transportation, there are different options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.