Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Helicopter?! That would be a first, LOL!

Hummingbird started as a helicopter service in 1989, later the name was changed to TMA.
Maybe we will see a new Heli service in the future.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...-island-market

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...helicopter-ops
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
Where are you all seeing the transfer prices in this ‘contract’? I received the usual Hilton confirmation email which does not contain any transfer prices. Is it a separate email they send you?
Go to the website and Log into your account . click on the view reservation . Expand the Driving and directions link at the bottom of the page the details are in the expansion.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by crombiestone
Go to the website and Log into your account . click on the view reservation . Expand the Driving and directions link at the bottom of the page the details are in the expansion.
Thanks crombiestone. When I clicked on the 'Maps and Directions' from the confirmation email directly it doesn't offer this info - it just takes you to the generic Hilton.com webpage for some reason.

Needless to say I've taken a screen shot of this information and like others will pursue given its such a large discrepancy. If the property doesn't play ball at checkout, I'll leave it to the Diamond Desk to sort out when I get back.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Helicopter?! That would be a first, LOL! I think it's disgusting that they are trying to gouge everyone for this. Absolutely ridiculous. If you want to pee half of your guests off even before they've gotten to your property then that's one way to go about it! Shame on you, management!

And so you should! ^
Our first trip to Rangali was in either 1998 or 2000 when it was a Hilton. My memory (and I'm stretching back a ways so ...) is that there was a helipad at Rangali - on the smaller island down the end where the deluxe water villas are (as opposed to Sunset end) - maybe yoga pavilion area?? back then there weren't as many villas, the pool was in a completely different area, etc etc. I believe that helicopter service was stopped because of the accident/incident rate. (Not necessarily at Rangali but perhaps in the Maldives). I don't remember many more details
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
US$350 ++ each way per person is CRAZY

Which Maldivian drug are they taking??

At this rate, I am expecting a lousy US$15 credit for being a Diamond member that can be used towards breakfast each morning.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:29 pm

Not sure if you are joking since you (should) get breakfast free anyway for two as stated on the online reservation details. As so, it's extra evidence above and beyond member level rules. On another note, it wouldn't surprise me if Hilton corporate sneakily changed the wording on their website later to clearly indicate the yacht is per way.

Last edited by scwam; Feb 12, 2019 at 5:38 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:37 pm

I am going to predict that the fee will be round trip and somehow the info relay to the “desk” at the WA Maldives is incorrect. The language in the reservation I have for the Conrad is the same as WA.

Knowing the round trip fee for Conrad is $526 it would only make sense the fee quoted, $370, from WA is also round trip.

Can anyone see them being able to charge $740 for a boat ride VS. $526 for a plane ride?

TD
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by scwam
Not sure if you are joking since you (should) get breakfast free anyway for two as stated on the online reservation details.
Where does it say that breakfast for two is included?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:45 pm

Worldwide, IIRC, Gold members or higher get free breakfast. I even believe I read somewhere on one of their websites that this particular property included breakfast regardless of status (but probably mistaken since they seem to have a breakfast package - yet the same price as w/o breakfast....... 🤔 ).

Last edited by scwam; Feb 12, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:55 pm

Worldwide, IIRC, Gold members or higher get free breakfast. I even believe I read somewhere on one of their websites that this particular property included breakfast regardless of status (but probably mistaken since they seem to have a breakfast package - yet the same price as w/o breakfast........ &#129300.
Cheapest non points rate for my stay period was actually Half Board advanced purchase !
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Not sure if you are joking since you (should) get breakfast free anyway for two as stated on the online reservation details. As so, it's extra evidence above and beyond member level rules. On another note, it wouldn't surprise me if Hilton corporate sneakily changed the wording on their website later to clearly indicate the yacht is per way.
Worldwide, IIRC, Gold members or higher get free breakfast. I even believe I read somewhere on one of their websites that this particular property included breakfast regardless of status (but probably mistaken since they seem to have a breakfast package - yet the same price as w/o breakfast....... 🤔 ).
If I search hard enough, it says under Hotel Benefits, "A daily complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel's designated restaurant for you and up to on additional guest".

I understand the resort is still 'working' on what Diamond benefits they are going to offer but if they ask for an $85 per person upsell to the full buffet (from the continental ie $15 credit), I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, I know this isn't a direct comparison, but the Sheraton Full Moon Resort's round trip boat transfers are US$135 per person. I know the Sheraton resort is about a dozen stars less than the Waldorf, but expecting $350++ each way is CRAZY.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
.....'working' on what Diamond benefits they are going to offer but if they ask for an $85 per person upsell to the full buffet (from the continental ie $15 credit), I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm not sure what difference it is for diamond members during breakfast. I assumed that from what I see at various hotels here in Asia, that it's all [continental] buffet style breakfast. Unless you are talking about a la carte breakfast.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:23 pm

I'm not sure what difference it is for diamond members during breakfast. I assumed that from what I see at various hotels here in Asia, that it's all [continental] buffet style breakfast. Unless you are talking about a la carte breakfast.
As similar as I can get . The Conrad Bora Bora last year was free buffet (For Gold & Diamond) which included cooked items .it was extra for made to order eggs dishes and pancakes/waffles from a menu on the table but the buffet was fine . speculation on a hotel that's not even open isn't worth the stress . Its going to be the most Exclusive hotel in the Hilton portfolio ! Its going to be expensive ! The money saved on the villa rates for a points booking is huge so go with the flow

Last edited by crombiestone; Feb 12, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:34 pm

It should be the same here. Any items from the menu are considered custom ordered and charged separately from the free buffet. Basically, if you ask for a menu, those items will be charged per item. The idea is that it is supposed to be more fresh than buffet or if someone just wants 2 eggs at $14 pre-tax.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It should be the same here. Any items from the menu are considered custom ordered and charged separately from the free buffet. Basically, if you ask for a menu, those items will be charged per item. The idea is that it is supposed to be more fresh than buffet or if someone just wants 2 eggs at $14 pre-tax.
Sure, but the buffet (non-menu) items at some places like Vilu at CMRI are really limited. A few slices of ham and toast and yoghurt if I recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.