Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:11 am

I dont get why you guys are surprised about the 'Premium Room Rewards' price? Its perfectly in the usual range for points-per-dollar, so the high values you're seeing was known as soon as they started releasing the expected revenue prices last year. The only thing that is (still) unknown is how many, if at all, standard price reward rooms they'll release, and at what price.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
I agree. A Deluxe Water Villa at CR is 470k points and the cash rate for that is nowhere near that of the cash rate for the base room at the WA.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:31 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

When I called the 800# this AM the CSR was pulling up info on the resort. When she got to the area that had the points, you could hear the amazement in her voice. She was very professional, but you could tell she absolutely shocked.

TD
So does that mean all rooms will be premium rewards? When I pull up the base room there is no option for using points online. The grand villa says “premium” room rewards. But there is no price.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by myeurocrush

So does that mean all rooms will be premium rewards? When I pull up the base room there is no option for using points online. The grand villa says “premium” room rewards. But there is no price.
Accourding to the two people I talked too, no. They will have an “award” night price. Both said it might take up to 10 days to get everything loaded. I asked why they thought there would be a lower points offfer other than premium. They both stated the free weekend nights can not be used on premium points rooms. So they assume some amount, however small, would be allocated to support the free night certs. Only time will tell as we all know how inconsistent CSR info is.

TD
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
I dont get why you guys are surprised about the 'Premium Room Rewards' price? Its perfectly in the usual range for points-per-dollar, so the high values you're seeing was known as soon as they started releasing the expected revenue prices last year. The only thing that is (still) unknown is how many, if at all, standard price reward rooms they'll release, and at what price.
And I would not expect the standard award price to be 95000 points. Hilton regularly sells points for half a cent. It would be silly to sell $2000+ rooms for $475. I'd expect a standard price award in the 300K to 400K range.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbeckett
And I would not expect the standard award price to be 95000 points. Hilton regularly sells points for half a cent. It would be silly to sell $2000+ rooms for $475.
Although that's exactly what they do over the festive season in the conrad Maldives
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by englisha
Although that's exactly what they do over the festive season in the conrad Maldives
Exactly - and it is actually even more if you count taxes and service charge, of which award stays are exempt! The all-in non-prepay cash rate with HIlton Honors discount for a base water villla at Conrad Maldives during my upcoming festival season stay is $3,600 / night all in or about $75k for the entire 21 night stay. I booked 20 nights on points (total 1,520,000 points) and one with a free night award. I ended up buying some points at 0.5 cents/point during the latest promo and ended up utilizing them for about 10x price at about 5 cents/point - one of the few times buying Hilton points proved to be a good value. It might be silly, but I’ll definitely take it

Last edited by brandonpkt; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
unpopular opinion here, but ive seen quite a view videos & pictures of the new Waldorf and i simply cant see why anyone would pay upwards of $1,800 to stay in an island that is overbuilt, ugly and essentially everything that the maldives shouldn't be. ive been to the maldives 5 times (visiting 5 different islands) and ive yet to see a resort island that looks as unnatural as the Waldorf (except for maybe Centara Ras Fushi & the Sheraton!). its very clear by the unique shape off the island that a lot of the sand has been artificially pumped, and the island does not appear to have any sort of big blue lagoon that is typical of maldivian resort islands. the water villas are built in extremely long lines with a very narrow lagoon infront of them which in my opinion will make swimming not so enjoyable as the reef drop-off is so close by.

yeah the rooms are really nice but you can get nice rooms in dubai or other locations.. what makes the maldives a special destination is the sheer natural beauty of the island and its surroundings, and the Waldorf appears to lack all of that. while the conrad (or, even better, non US hotels such as Anantara Kihavah, Amilla Fushi, Vakkaru etc ), are seemingly less luxurious, they provide for a much more quintessential maldivian holiday.

i mean look at this aerial image. yes its still under construction but i cant see it getting any better...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:50 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbeckett
And I would not expect the standard award price to be 95000 points..
95,000 is the max standard award price. If it is more than that it would be considered a premium award.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Online booking is open. I could not find standard rewards offered at any time...all premium rewards. Rates in Sept appear to start at $1800...jumping to $2200 in October. Good luck to them - not clear to me how they'll fill rooms at those rates while the resort recovers from development, landscaping fills out and the staff figure out what the hell they're doing.

Last edited by ocdb8r; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:37 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Good luck to them - not clear to me how they'll fill rooms at those rates while the resort recovers from development, landscaping fills out and the staff figure out what the hell they're doing.
LOL. I have to say I agree with you although mainland China is a huge market and they will be seriously pushing the resort there, especially as the last week of June and all of July and August are school holidays there and during those 2 months up to 2/3 of the tourists in the Maldives are mainlanders. I live there so I'm going to start asking my travel agent friends if they've heard of this new resort yet and what kind of packages they are doing. There will no doubt be some good deals but whether they'll offer them to the ROTW is another story. A couple years back there were some deals for the Conrad that were only available to Chinese customers in mainland China (required Chinese pax w/Chinese passports, not just booked through those agents) so let's see how it plays out on that front.

Originally Posted by rvlcr
unpopular opinion here, but ive seen quite a view videos & pictures of the new Waldorf

i mean look at this aerial image. yes its still under construction but i cant see it getting any better...
In all fairness I think you should have used this pic instead

Originally Posted by rvlcr
and i simply cant see why anyone would pay upwards of $1,800 to stay in an island that is overbuilt, ugly and essentially everything that the maldives shouldn't be.

ive been to the maldives 5 times (visiting 5 different islands) and ive yet to see a resort island that looks as unnatural as the Waldorf (except for maybe Centara Ras Fushi & the Sheraton!). its very clear by the unique shape off the island that a lot of the sand has been artificially pumped, and the island does not appear to have any sort of big blue lagoon that is typical of maldivian resort islands. the water villas are built in extremely long lines with a very narrow lagoon infront of them which in my opinion will make swimming not so enjoyable as the reef drop-off is so close by.

yeah the rooms are really nice but you can get nice rooms in dubai or other locations.. what makes the maldives a special destination is the sheer natural beauty of the island and its surroundings, and the Waldorf appears to lack all of that.
Well, maybe the SAii Lagoon Curio comes into the essentially everything that the maldives shouldn't be category.

I agree with the fact that there is a serious lack of natural flora. The fact that a lot of the resort's area is mostly reclaimed land certainly makes it feel artificial. Conrad has tons of what this resort doesn't. I'll go once just because it's new and it will be interesting, however I don't expect it to hold my interest for multiple visits like Rangali does.

Regarding the lagoon, I have to disagree with you there. Where the main islands are situated there is a perfectly normal lagoon. The six boats in the picture above are in the lagoon and it's plain to see that the water isn't that deep even right in the middle. The water in the middle of Rangali's lagoon between the 2 islands is deeper than that.
As for swimming and beaches, you have to take into consideration the size of the resort and then calculate roughly how wide the beaches are and how far out the depth increases. For example, the middle section of the resort with the beach villas (the strip where the Welcome Centre is located) looks to have at least 10m of beachfront and then 30 or 40m of reasonably shallow water before it gets to any dropoff / deep water. The BVs on the other side of the resort are a different story, however.

Added a Pictures (resort under construction) section to the wiki to show, in chronological order, the resort and how it has evolved.
Also changed opening date to reflect latest change.

And here's a nice pic from of one of the news articles. Seems real enough and will no doubt have some of us salivating until we get there, LOL

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:55 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:16 pm

The more recent photo does make it look congested with not much land mass. Hard for me to imagine WA lagoon being as spectacular as CR's - especially from Vilu .... very torn between trying WA or staying with the no shoes, sand floors, remote felling at CR .. oh, decisions, decisions .....
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:26 pm

No harm in trying both! I think the colour(s) of the water isn't going to be a problem.....it's what's on the other side(s) that's going to spoil the view.
And another thing. Why the heck have they not made a fully overwater restaurant. Baffles me, considering Rangali has 2.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Standard reward availability is posted now....and its 120,000 points a night. So much for the 95,000 cap

Just booked 26-31 December for 480,00 points, reservation went through smoothly!

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:43 am

Under 500K for 5 nights is not too bad, considering. And thanks for the heads up!

Hmm...just called the telephone number and it's switched off or out of coverage area. Must be a mobile. Surprising for 1:46 in the afternoon. Having a nap maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.