Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:13 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by B7Bombers
they really are rack rates, when Hilton puts their property online for booking there are a host of discounted rates available, including Honors Discount rates, Leisure Escapes, AAA/Senior Rates, Weekend Getaway, etc. And this doesn't even take into account the frequent promotions like the 25% promo that is going on now that would have included WA Maldives had the property been open as originally scheduled. When you are calling to book a not yet open hotel you are almost certainly going to get the highest rates possible, not the best rates available.
I am not sure what you define as "rack rates" but in your previous post you referred to the rates on the back of the door that nobody ever pays - this is the maximum possible guests can pay so it would be a handful of days in the year. I would be very surprised if WA Maldives does not cost far more than $2k on peak days, for example new year eve. Right now they are using those rates for random dates in 2019 after opening, not for peak dates. I would be glad to be proven wrong if someone gets a quote of $2k for new year even.

St.Regis charges nearly $2k as a flexible rate for many random days in late 2019 and that is nowhere near their "rack rate" that nobody ever pays, so why would we think that nobody will pay $2k for WA? People actually do pay over $3k for rooms at St.Regis during holidays, I suspect it will be the case at WA as well.

This is not to say that $2k will be the lowest rate available once the resort is open. Right now prepaid rates are not available so for sure there will be something lower at some point.

Regarding bloggers, they add value when they bring new information to their readers, for example first hand contact with a hotel to get info which was not publicly available before. Sounds like the article was valuable for you and I am sure for others as well, but for many here we did not learn anything.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Sinter
Any information on lounge access at Male airport yet, is it possible the WA will share the Conrad lounge?
The Conrad lounge at MLE desperately needs a refresh. The white leather furniture is dingy and peeling, the view is poor given airport construction, and food offerings are underwhelming. Frankly, the lounge in its current state would make for poor first impressions of the brand new Waldorf Astoria.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
I will send you the picture via E-Mail, hope it is better than.
Received with thanks! ^

Originally Posted by Sinter
Any information on lounge access at Male airport yet, is it possible the WA will share the Conrad lounge?
Have asked for this info in my email to them. I guess ideally what Hilton should do is keep the Conrad Lounge as is and use it for their Curio SAii and build a new one for both the Conrad and the WA.

Regarding rates, I have also asked for rates; high, low, shoulder etc. Am awaiting their reply.
As for what they're actually going to do, there have been some good points made by folks here. @Traveler Dave made a good point when he said he thinks the WA will open with good 95K availability and once they are sure their initial pricing is right they will reduce the amount of villas for redemption. I'm not an expert on the matter but wouldn't it be silly to start with a minimum of 2K++ and not a) offer discounted cash rates and promos knocking a good third or more off them, and b) silly not to open a quarter or third of the villas in each category to decent - read 95K - redemption amounts. They are going to have seriously low occupancy rates for the first 2 or 3 months with all this postponement going on. There's no way they can be pre-selling a ton of rooms to potential Middle Eastern guests or anyone else when they are constantly putting dates back. My 2c anyway.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 15, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MS02113
The Conrad lounge at MLE desperately needs a refresh. The white leather furniture is dingy and peeling, the view is poor given airport construction, and food offerings are underwhelming. Frankly, the lounge in its current state would make for poor first impressions of the brand new Waldorf Astoria.
Getting to the WA will be by luxury yacht so I doubt guests would be going to the seaplane terminal to pick up the yacht from there.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Received with thanks! ^

Have asked for this info in my email to them. I guess ideally what Hilton should do is keep the Conrad Lounge as is and use it for their Curio SAii and build a new one for both the Conrad and the WA.

Regarding rates, I have also asked for rates; high, low, shoulder etc. Am awaiting their reply.
As for what they're actually going to do, there have been some good points made by folks here. @Traveler Dave made a good point when he said he thinks the WA will open with good 95K availability and once they are sure their initial pricing is right they will reduce the amount of villas for redemption. I'm not an expert on the matter but wouldn't it be silly to start with a minimum of 2K++ and not a) offer discounted cash rates and promos knocking a good third or more off them, and b) silly not to open a quarter or third of the villas in each category decent - read 95K - redemptions. They are going to have seriously low occupancy rates for the first 2 or 3 months with all this postponement going on. There's no way they can be pre-selling a ton of rooms to potential Middle Eastern guests or anyone else when they are constantly putting dates back. My 2c anyway.
I am not so sure the 95k points redemption will be reality. I’ve traded a few emails with them since October looking to make an award stay. When I asked for a recent update they replied this week that online reservations will be available “early February”. They went on to state .....”There is a chance that even with the system going online, we will not have redemption stays available as this has still not being finalized.”

When I asked for more info on the redemption delay they said ......”The decision is pending with Hilton Honors. The delay in this decision is pertaining to the significant rates for the property which is not seen in the Hilton portfolio. Hence simulations and studies are being done in order to ensure proper deployment of the redemption structure.”

So definitely sounds like price they intend to capture will be the high end outlier in all of Hilton properties. If they want to conduct a study with me in a water villa for 95k a night in July, I will gladly assist.

Last edited by Jamal06; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Getting to the WA will be by luxury yacht so I doubt guests would be going to the seaplane terminal to pick up the yacht from there.
True. I didn't think it was likely WA would share the Conrad lounge; was just responding to another poster who suggested the possibility.

It seems other resorts' yachts depart directly across from the airline terminal, so perhaps WA will also build a lounge there.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jamal06
When I asked for more info on the redemption delay they said ......”The decision is pending with Hilton Honors. The delay in this decision is pertaining to the significant rates for the property which is not seen in the Hilton portfolio. Hence simulations and studies are being done in order to ensure proper deployment of the redemption structure.”
Cleary none of us know how this will all play out, but I read that as “We want to be the top resort in the Maldives and command the most money. We are currently looking to see how much we think we can get without pricing ourselves too high and having the best resort sit empty.”

They are opening in the low season. You might get a few bloggers (company expense) and the ultra rich that will pay huge prices out of the gate to say they stayed there first. Can’t see that filling the place up.

No matter how nice the place is, it is still in the middle of the ocean. While we on this thread enjoy the remoteness, it does limit their audience. And they are not the only high end resort in town, just the newest.

But make no mistake I am really hoping they get the place open ASAP. I would love to do a combo Conrad/WA stay when we are there this Summer.

TD
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:44 am

If they want to conduct a study with me in a water villa for 95k a night in July, I will gladly assist.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:32 am

Would be interesting to know how they would go about the simulations. I suppose you'd have to look at how many members frequently book with points at properties that have maximum redemption rates or close to maximum, how many regularly book high-value FNF stays, how many have enough points to do a Fifth Night Free at their desired (new) rate, etc. For example, if they thought one and a half times the current maximum amount for a single night was in order, i.e; 95K*1.5 = 142,500, let's say 140,000 like the Qasr el Sharq, then to figure out how the first couple of months might turn out they'd be looking at how many could do 560,000 off the bat for a FNF redemption stay. Figure into that the other accounts of spouses and family members for the purpose of calculating combined points (since you can now pool). Then they might look at how many of those eligible accounts have visited the WA Ithaafushi's website and how many have contacted them by email, called HHonors Reservations to enquire, how many are regulars at Conrad Rangali, etc. Even then they'd be purely guessing. I suppose the data from the Conrad and the old WA Maldives would be pretty useful, especially for those with elite status.

With 120+ rooms there will be a lot of guests and a lot of departures per day. A yacht will be slow. If they only have one yacht you'd expect waiting times to be significant on occasion. They will most definitely need a lounge somewhere.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:51 am

Would be interesting to know how they would go about the simulations. I suppose you'd have to look at how many members frequently book with points at properties that have maximum redemption rates or close to maximum, how many regularly book high-value FNF stays, how many have enough points to do a Fifth Night Free at their desired (new) rate, etc. For example, if they thought one and a half times the current maximum amount for a single night was in order, i.e; 95K*1.5 = 142,500, let's say 140,000 like the Qasr el Sharq, then to figure out how the first couple of months might turn out they'd be looking at how many could do 560,000 off the bat for a FNF redemption stay. Figure into that the other accounts of spouses and family members for the purpose of calculating combined points (since you can now pool). Then they might look at how many of those eligible accounts have visited the WA Ithaafushi's website and how many have contacted them by email, called HHonors Reservations to enquire, how many are regulars at Conrad Rangali, etc. Even then they'd be purely guessing. I suppose the data from the Conrad and the old WA Maldives would be pretty useful, especially for those with elite status.

With 120+ rooms there will be a lot of guests and a lot of departures per day. A yacht will be slow. If they only have one yacht you'd expect waiting times to be significant on occasion. They will most definitely need a lounge somewhere.
It would have to be fairly fast then as people paying their proposed cash rates won't want a long time on a yacht for transfer reasons between resort and airport.

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Cleary none of us know how this will all play out, but I read that as “We want to be the top resort in the Maldives and command the most money. We are currently looking to see how much we think we can get without pricing ourselves too high and having the best resort sit empty.”

They are opening in the low season. You might get a few bloggers (company expense) and the ultra rich that will pay huge prices out of the gate to say they stayed there first. Can’t see that filling the place up.

No matter how nice the place is, it is still in the middle of the ocean. While we on this thread enjoy the remoteness, it does limit their audience. And they are not the only high end resort in town, just the newest.

But make no mistake I am really hoping they get the place open ASAP. I would love to do a combo Conrad/WA stay when we are there this Summer.

TD
There is also stiff competition these days in the Maldives for luxury resorts. I was surprised to see soo many adverts in the Transmaldivian airlines flight magazine on the way to Rangali. strangely, I did not see one resort advert for any Hilton properties in the magazine.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:50 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:10 pm

They might also compare themselves to competitors such as Park Hyatt charging 25k pts per night and St.Regis charging 60k pts per night (increasing soon in April though). The approximate value of those points is not completely dissimilar to 95k Hilton points.

If WA ends up being expensive on points by creating a brand new category way above 95k pts, some customers with a healthy balance of points not only with Hilton but also with other chains might end up going somewhere else rather than trying WA. I would argue that in the first 6 months of operations, this is possibly not the best scenario for a resort which wants to drum up some business.

What WA will "lose" by hosting guests on a point redemption at 95k pts which they might consider too low? Those guests will spend money on F&B when rooms would have been empty otherwise. So the theoretical loss is peanuts in the grand scheme of things if you take the long term view.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:13 pm

I predict the option to fly-in will also be there. I know most think the cost is outrageous, and those people will be happy with a 1-1.5 hour boat ride. But many like the fly-in as an “experience” that comes with the flight. If there is bad weather I would prefer an expensive 15 minute flight to a 1.5 hour vomit-boat ride.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I predict the option to fly-in will also be there. I know most think the cost is outrageous, and those people will be happy with a 1-1.5 hour boat ride. But many like the fly-in as an “experience” that comes with the flight. If there is bad weather I would prefer an expensive 15 minute flight to a 1.5 hour vomit-boat ride.

According to their website:-

• Breathtaking and tranquil private island resort 30 minutes from Male International Airport by yacht

Estimating the distance on google maps, I'd say 25 kms from MLE
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:24 am

According to their website:-

• Breathtaking and tranquil private island resort 30 minutes from Male International Airport by yacht

Estimating the distance on google maps, I'd say 25 kms from MLE
30 minutes is nice. Not sure where I heard 1-15 hour.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by escape4
What WA will "lose" by hosting guests on a point redemption at 95k pts which they might consider too low?
They want to sell luxury and exclusivity. Arguably, the experience is devalued for their ultra-rich $2,000 a night guests if a bunch of chuckleheads like ourselves are running amok there at 95,000 Hilton Honors points per night.

Wait, what am I talking about. I meant 76,000 points a night with the fifth night free benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.