Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!
Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

EXTRA CHARGES - BE AWARE FOLKS!
• A compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement of US$488++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 24 December 2019
• A compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement of US$800++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 31 December 2019
This lamb to the slaughter approach will force a couple to cough up an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) $3915.83, if you want to celebrate Xmas and New Years here

Expected Opening: July 01, 2019 (according to official website, see below for link)

There is currently not a lot of solid information on this resort, its prices, room types and amenities. More information will be added bit by bit as it becomes available

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A new Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
How: WA Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, southwest of Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport) and can be reached by speedboat. There may be an option of private yacht transfer (30 mins from Malι) but this is presumably to be announced at a later date

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands
• The resort has 10 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years
• Click here to visit the resort's website for more information

Prices - Accommodation:

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700

***** Upgrade Cost*****
Oct 2019
Reef Villa $200++
OWV $400++

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)
RV (Reef Villa, presumably Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, presumably also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)

Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)

Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: TBA
• Tel: +960-4000-300

Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)

Pictures (resort under construction):
• January, 2018 Link to post
• June, 2018 Link to post
• Approx October, 2018 Link to post
• January, 2019 Link to post
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 24, 19, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
You have, indeed. King Beach Villa with pool is the base accommodation here and should be available for 120k points per night
m3seeto and Tilly71 like this.
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:20 am

Deleted

Last edited by Tilly71; Feb 24, 19 at 1:39 am
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:38 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold
Originally Posted by Tilly71 View Post
Out if interest, how did you find out there was 10 x rooms available on Points for your dates, Did you ask online chat?
Nop, just did it online on the website.

OT PS Sorry for my late answer, my wife and I struggled to find out if we would celebrate our daughters first birthday anniversary on Feb 22nd or 23rd in 2020! Now we know
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave View Post

Points are all created equal, to a hotel, when redeemed. The WA has no idea what a person paid, or didn’t pay, for a point. I can’t imgine the sale had any impact on why they pulled the points reservations.

But if the points rooms come back after the sale ends in a couple days perhaps I am wrong.

TD
Does the hotel get paid the full price? I thought they only got paid a smaller percentage in which case it would make sense to sell rooms rather then give them through awards.
Old Feb 24, 19, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Artemio View Post
Nop, just did it online on the website.

OT PS Sorry for my late answer, my wife and I struggled to find out if we would celebrate our daughters first birthday anniversary on Feb 22nd or 23rd in 2020! Now we know
Where on the website does it show how many rooms are available for a particular accommodation per night?
Old Feb 24, 19, 2:31 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold
Where on the website does it show how many rooms are available for a particular accommodation per night?
Just did a dummy booking with 10 rooms on Points! Without finalizing the booking process! so I must confess I can't be 100% sure that 10 rooms were really available. Still it was an indication for me
Tilly71 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 19, 2:59 am

Availability up to Dec 16th @ 120k a night for KBV now, then off for a few weeks then back on and off for weekly bookings up until Feb 20. 😄
Old Feb 24, 19, 3:47 am

Availability up to Dec 16th @ 120k a night for KBV now, then off for a few weeks then back on and off for weekly bookings up until Feb 20. 😄
Yeah, typical blackout (aka block-out) redemptions manipulation as they like to claim they don't do with a smile and a lie. Similar dates to a new IHG property (Intercontinental opening in Aug) here in Japan and once points booking became available for the last week of Dec, those 3 days suddenly were gone within just a few days of offering them. Doubt even a single room has been reserved on points so quickly. They have a sh..tload blocked out days each month from opening to support this suspicion (pretty much 75%+ of each month).

Seems nobody here has mentioned this, I wonder if I'm the only person who hunts for this kind of stuff. There is a new *Intercontinental set to open Oct 1st in the Maldives*. It might give Waldorf a run for its money.
sambo150 likes this.

Last edited by scwam; Feb 24, 19 at 4:06 am
Old Feb 24, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: IHG:Plat Amb QR:Gold HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by scwam View Post
Yeah, typical blackout (aka block-out) redemptions manipulation as they like to claim they don't do with a smile and a lie. Similar dates to a new IHG property (Intercontinental opening in Aug) here in Japan and once points booking became available for the last week of Dec, those 3 days suddenly were gone within just a few days of offering them. Doubt even a single room has been reserved on points so quickly. They have a sh..tload blocked out days each month from opening to support this suspicion (pretty much 75%+ of each month).
I'm actually booked from 18th December to 24th December and did so on the day availability was opened . I don't think Hilton are blocking these dates . I think they are genuinely sold out for Christmas period standard awards .
Tilly71 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 19, 7:42 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by NightFury1 View Post

he went online and screen shotted the information or saved it as a PDF. There is no downloadable pdf.
I need that screenshot, any help?!
Old Feb 24, 19, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by honores41 View Post

I need that screenshot, any help?!
Go online to the Hilton website

go to reservations

go to your reservation and click view/edit

underneath your reservation information there will be a directions tab.
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Does the hotel get paid the full price? I thought they only got paid a smaller percentage in which case it would make sense to sell rooms rather then give them through awards.
Hopefully smarter minds than mine will respond directly to your question. But I doubt they get reimbursed a full cash paid amount, but I could be wrong.

I was specifically commenting on points being acquired through the sale. No matter what a hotel gets reimbursed for on a points stay, I presume, the cost at which those points were acquired does not factor in to the equation.

Points for my stay came in the form of points purchased through the current sale and everyday spend on various Hilton brand cards. Those points were earned at 2X-12X points per dollar charged. I also used a “free” night certificate from my Aspire card renewal along with a cert gained by meeting $15K spend on a Hilton card.

In short, many ways to earn points and free nights. Many different costs to the end user and Hilton on acquiring/offering points. I doubt they could ever factor all that in determine a refund rate back to a hotel on a points reservation.

Clearly the WA, or any other resort, would prefer a full price reservation. But they will surely get more money on a points room than an empty room. The additional costs spent during the stay would of course be a nice bonus to the resort as well.

TD
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:58 am

Standard award redemption 120k pts/night available

Hi all,

I was randomly clicking and found standard award 120k points/night room types up again online. Dates I was playing around was Oct 9-11. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 24, 19, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Artemio View Post
Something else, just an info for families: the kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives as they say) is for children between 4 to 11 years old.
Thanks for the data point. Have added it to the wiki.

On another note, seems they are still looking for a specialty chef for their Arabian village style restaurant, Yasmeen.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/maldiv...168_KO9,23.htm
https://jobs.hilton.com/job/Chef-de-...ource=JB-13420
Old Feb 24, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by NightFury1 View Post

Go online to the Hilton website

go to reservations

go to your reservation and click view/edit

underneath your reservation information there will be a directions tab.
I can acces to the one wich show 370 per way, could u send me on the previous one?
thanks

Search this Thread