Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!
Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

EXTRA CHARGES - BE AWARE FOLKS!
• A compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement of US$488++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 24 December 2019
• A compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement of US$800++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 31 December 2019
This lamb to the slaughter approach will force a couple to cough up an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) $3915.83, if you want to celebrate Xmas and New Years here

Expected Opening: July 01, 2019 (according to official website, see below for link)

There is currently not a lot of solid information on this resort, its prices, room types and amenities. More information will be added bit by bit as it becomes available

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A new Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
How: WA Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, southwest of Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport) and can be reached by speedboat. There may be an option of private yacht transfer (30 mins from Malι) but this is presumably to be announced at a later date

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands
• The resort has 10 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years
• Click here to visit the resort's website for more information

Prices - Accommodation:

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700

***** Upgrade Cost*****
Oct 2019
Reef Villa $200++
OWV $400++

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)
RV (Reef Villa, presumably Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, presumably also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)

Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)

Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: TBA
• Tel: +960-4000-300

Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)

Pictures (resort under construction):
• January, 2018 Link to post
• June, 2018 Link to post
• Approx October, 2018 Link to post
• January, 2019 Link to post
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 16, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG:Plat Amb QR:Gold HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
In regards to the 70 foot princess references in this thread, is there an actual link that states this is the one the WA will be using - I can't find any reference to its confirmation anywhere.
This Article mentions the four 70 foot 3 cabin Princess Yachts that the WA have purchased

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/a...n-the-Maldives
alanslegal likes this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
Also, do we know if there will be a soft opening? And also, anyone can tell the difference between the Reef Villa vs Overwater Villas?
The day before the online booking went live the website had April 30th as the opening day. A few weeks before that it had the end of May as the opening. So the opening had been moved up. The day it went live, July 1st became the opening day. So my guess, and only a guess, is there will be some sort of soft opening starting in May.

From all I have pieced together it looks like the Reef Villa is on land with the outside decking over water. The Overwater Villa is completely out in the water. The Beach Villa is obviously completly on land. But the rooms, “Standard” and Grand, looked to be almost the same.

TD

PS...the differences between “standard” and grand look to be the added living room in the grand.

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Feb 16, 19 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:19 am

Old Feb 16, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave View Post
Nice!! Looks awesome. The only change I would make is to also add a spa tub on the deck. Do you have the standard water villa as well?
Old Feb 16, 19, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
Nice!! Looks awesome. The only change I would make is to also add a spa tub on the deck. Do you have the standard water villa as well?
I do not. This one and the other, beach villas, I posted last week are all I have so far. But check those out. You will see what I am talking about in terms of differences. Should be similar for the interior of the water villas as well

TD
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by llfoster View Post

Thanks for posting this map of the resort. Does anyone have any initial thoughts about what Beach Villas would have the best/worst location? Looks to me like the 200's and 600's are beach villas and that the 600s would be preferable, right?
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Thanks for posting this map of the resort. Does anyone have any initial thoughts about what Beach Villas would have the best/worst location? Looks to me like the 200's and 600's are beach villas and that the 600s would be preferable, right?
My question would be with the map showing the location of the BV's, would it be a better bet to choose one facing out towards the ocean rather than inwards?
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tilly71 View Post
My question would be with the map showing the location of the BV's, would it be a better bet to choose one facing out towards the ocean rather than inwards?
I would think so, unless the villas facing the other way have a more pleasant surf/reef for swimming or snorkeling. One thing I like about some of the overwater villas at Conrad Maldives is you can walk out 100+ meters from your villa and the water is still just at chest/shoulder height. Whereas with some of the beach villas there, there is a big dropoff after the walk ten meters out.

Last edited by jphripjah; Feb 17, 19 at 8:51 am
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:34 am

Thanks for this. Curious where you found it?

TD
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:00 am

It was supplied to travel agents; wasn't meant to be released until March I believe
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:18 am

I do have a question re the map supplied. (I am not a travel agent and am not involved in travel except as a vacationer.) Top of map is designated sunrise and bottom designated sunset. However, on Google Earth what would be the top of this map seems (??) to be north and the bottom would be south. Trying to find out true direction of sunset/sunrise for villa selection etc. Any thoughts??
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
I'd say as already mentioned before, one point is the quality and "steepness" of the beach in front. And we probably have to wait until July to have the first feedbacks about that.

However, the other points to consider IMO would be the sunset view and a view without vis-ΰ-vis (601-617 odd numbers in July ////// 616-628 even numbers and probably better the 201-213 odd numbers in December). And in between, I'd have a look at shadowcalculator.eu to figure out what's ideal, nb I draw a square on the map to see the shadow appearing.
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
That's a lot of rooms in such a small space.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by scwam View Post
I hope you two are referring to another hotel because my booking says breakfast is inclusive, of which of course should be for Gold+ members.
nm. see it in the app

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Feb 19, 19 at 12:39 am
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical View Post
ummm... where does it say breakfast is inclusive in your reservation confirm? mine doesn't (Diamond).
Just tap on "benefits" under your booking in the app, it lists a continental breakfast for 2 guests as a diamond benefit.

Search this Thread