Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!
Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

EXTRA CHARGES - BE AWARE FOLKS!
• A compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement of US$488++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 24 December 2019
• A compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement of US$800++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 31 December 2019
This lamb to the slaughter approach will force a couple to cough up an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) $3915.83, if you want to celebrate Xmas and New Years here

Expected Opening: July 01, 2019 (according to official website, see below for link)

There is currently not a lot of solid information on this resort, its prices, room types and amenities. More information will be added bit by bit as it becomes available

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A new Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
How: WA Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, southwest of Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport) and can be reached by speedboat. There may be an option of private yacht transfer (30 mins from Malι) but this is presumably to be announced at a later date

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands
• The resort has 10 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years
• Click here to visit the resort's website for more information

Prices - Accommodation:

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700

***** Upgrade Cost*****
Oct 2019
Reef Villa $200++
OWV $400++

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)
RV (Reef Villa, presumably Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, presumably also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)

Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)

Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: TBA
• Tel: +960-4000-300

Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)

Pictures (resort under construction):
• January, 2018 Link to post
• June, 2018 Link to post
• Approx October, 2018 Link to post
• January, 2019 Link to post
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 19, 10:14 am

So sneaky. I wouldn't expect anything less shady from Hilton. It's on mine too. My God!
The bloggers will have a heyday on this once they pick it up.
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by scwam View Post
So sneaky. I wouldn't expect anything less shady from Hilton. It's on mine too. My God!
The bloggers will have a heyday on this once they pick it up.
I exported my confirmation to PDF just yesterday. I still doubt they will honor it though
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mb123 View Post
Please don΄t compare it to the costs of a speedboat with 2x 200 HP Outboard motors, that other Hotels in the Maldives use.
If it's just a 30 minute ride, I think I'd be fine with the smaller speedboat. Are there boat operators in the area who are for-hire like a water taxi, or bookable ahead of time as a charter?

In other words, do you have to use the hotel's boat? I get that some people will like the smoother ride of a 70-footer, but in most parts of the world where something like this is part of the local transportation, there are different options.
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:57 am

I checked my reservation on Hilton.com and it changed the wording to "per way" as well. I printed off my reservation using the previous wording before it changed. I called the Diamond desk and she just said I would have to talk to the hotel. Not much help or information.

I cancelled our Conrad reservation to book at the WA - but they really should have had this stuff figured out before accepting bookings IMO. Hopefully it gets resolved...
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
If it's just a 30 minute ride, I think I'd be fine with the smaller speedboat. Are there boat operators in the area who are for-hire like a water taxi, or bookable ahead of time as a charter?

In other words, do you have to use the hotel's boat? I get that some people will like the smoother ride of a 70-footer, but in most parts of the world where something like this is part of the local transportation, there are different options.
Plenty of boat operators out of Male; question is will WA allow private boat operators to dock?
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by james0499 View Post
Good news... i've been in touch with the hotel again regarding the yacht transfer and they have now said...

"Thank you for the email and bringing this to our attention, The change was initiated from our end before us accepting reservations, however this has not reflected on the booking system.
Please note that we will at all times, honor the booking confirmation and in this case as well, we will be charging you US$370++ per person for roundtrip.
Kind accept our apologies for the inconvenience."

Gotta love 'em! So everyone book quick before they realise!!

RE the troll... don't give him/her the time of day. I appreciate the help and information this community has provided and has gotten me even more excited for what will be a genuine 'once in a lifetime trip' for our honeymoon and one I am RIDICULOUSLY excited for! We're all going for different reasons and have different stories, let's respect them hey.

Onwards...
Just to bring this back up, if they edited the actual reservation then I hope you all have a PDF or Screen shot!
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:18 am

From This Morning:

sambo150 likes this.

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Feb 14, 19 at 11:27 am
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:28 am

Current:

Old Feb 14, 19, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by dcht View Post
If my math is wrong, please correct me. Let's assume an average occupancy of 70%, which is about 85 rooms occupied a day. Let's assume 7 night stays, that's 4420 arrivals each year. 2 people per room that's almost 3.3 million dollars in revenue for a $370 RT yacht cost.
Not sure about the rest of your math. But they have updated the language. It is $370++ each way (for any reservations made today and beyond). So assuming your other math is correct, 6.6 million dollars for a $740++ RT

TD
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:44 am

So here is a question I have. Do we know what the "yacht" will be? If it is truly a yacht and they serve food and drinks with perhaps some entertainment, the cost is still high, but could be part of the overall experience of a great trip. Much like I justify the high cost of the short flight. I have not been to the Maldives, yet, but have taken many small "puddle jumpers" at extortionist rates. I just roll the cost in to the whole adventure. But if yacht is just a fancy word for a glorified people transfer boat, like the one they use at the Conrad Bora Bora or IHG Tahlasso, then experience/cost has a different perspective for me.

TD
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:47 am

Screen capture your Hilton App under your reservation displaying this hotel name through - "Benefits" tab with the language "A daily complimentary breakfast in the hotel's designated restaurant for you and up to one additional guest........." before they modify that too.
It took me nearly an hour on my pc to realize that I saw this yesterday only on the app.
F..K Hilton
sambo150 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave View Post
So here is a question I have. Do we know what the "yacht" will be? If it is truly a yacht and they serve food and drinks with perhaps some entertainment, the cost is still high, but could be part of the overall experience of a great trip. Much like I justify the high cost of the short flight. I have not been to the Maldives, yet, but have taken many small "puddle jumpers" at extortionist rates. I just roll the cost in to the whole adventure. But if yacht is just a fancy word for a glorified people transfer boat, like the one they use at the Conrad Bora Bora or IHG Tahlasso, then experience/cost has a different perspective for me.

TD
https://www.princessmotoryachtsales....s-princess-70/
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
I'm not contacting the hotel about this. I'll raise it on check out. Then dispute with Amex.

I'd suggest others do the same.
FlugE, brodielayne and sambo150 like this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: IHG:Plat Amb QR:Gold HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave View Post

TD
This is a Princess 70 Foot Yacht . There are cabins too but that's a moot point on a 30 minute journey

Old Feb 14, 19, 12:27 pm

Looks pretty sweet.

TD

Search this Thread